Not So Fast - Mage Guild (by CDCooley)

TechAngel85

• 3 months later...

Is this mod recommended for a new player? What are people's experiences with it? The description makes it sound like you have to be in a certain place at a certain time for the quest to continue. Which I assume means you must either memorize those conditions from the mod description or be very lucky in order to complete the Mages Guild questline.

I ask because I'm not very familiar with the vanilla Mages Guide questline, and other people in my household will be playing my Skyrim installation (who will have not read these mod descriptions) and I'm afraid that activating this mod may only function as a premature end to their Mages Guild experience.

Is this mod recommended for a new player? What are people's experiences with it? The description makes it sound like you have to be in a certain place at a certain time for the quest to continue. Which I assume means you must either memorize those conditions from the mod description or be very lucky in order to complete the Mages Guild questline.

I ask because I'm not very familiar with the vanilla Mages Guide questline, and other people in my household will be playing my Skyrim installation (who will have not read these mod descriptions) and I'm afraid that activating this mod may only function as a premature end to their Mages Guild experience.

It is because that questline is so short and fast. Basically you just have to there there before 8am after the 8th day passes since the ward lessons. As the description mentions, if you're staying in the college (as you should be if you're roleplaying) this will all happen automatically. If you're not staying in the college, then yes, you're going to have to meet it's conditions. It's no different than the starting conditions for Thieves Guild Requirements.

It is because that questline is so short and fast. Basically you just have to there there before 8am after the 8th day passes since the ward lessons. As the description mentions, if you're staying in the college (as you should be if you're roleplaying) this will all happen automatically. If you're not staying in the college, then yes, you're going to have to meet it's conditions. It's no different than the starting conditions for Thieves Guild Requirements.

I guess what I'm asking is if I should disable this mod for anybody that wouldn't know these exact conditions?

I have to assume that nobody would realistically spend days sleeping in the College when there are no more quests or anything to do there. Is there some sort of in-game hint that would indicate they should be there at that exact time and place, or would it be an unsolvable puzzle if they didn't know there was supposed to be a quest there?

Sorry if this is an obvious question, it has been a very long time since I last played this questline in the original game.

I guess what I'm asking is if I should disable this mod for anybody that wouldn't know these exact conditions?

I have to assume that nobody would realistically spend days sleeping in the College when there are no more quests or anything to do there. Is there some sort of in-game hint that would indicate they should be there at that exact time and place, or would it be an unsolvable puzzle if they didn't know there was supposed to be a quest there?

Sorry if this is an obvious question, it has been a very long time since I last played this questline in the original game.

Same. It has been a long time since I've played it and I'm currently rebuilding my system so I can't check in xEdit. I don't even have the game reinstalled yet.

I wrote a brief overview of the questline here: https://forum.step-project.com/topic/7749-not-so-fast-mage-guild-by-cdcooley/?p=161066

Scroll down a bit and you'll see a response from cdcooley outlining the vanilla questline.

It's been a long time since I played this questline, but I do not remember seeing a reminder to return to the College of Winterhold so you may have to remember to do so on your own or just happen to visit the College of Winterhold with the right conditions to continue the questline.

Just seems to be a small oversight. The courier could probably be recycled to send you a message that your presence is requested after the number of days has passed. I've never looked into how couriers are implemented but I wouldn't image it being outside of cdcooley's ability. However, I don't know if he's even still modding.

If you haven't played Skyrim before, you probably will not notice the difference. You're most likely going to go back and forth from the college a couple times anyhow. This just makes it less linear of a questline, more realistic. If you've played it before, it may confuse you that the quest didn't progress right away if you don't know about the mod.

• 2 years later...