xLODGen - Terrain LOD beta 114 for FNV, FO3, FO4, FO4VR, TES5, SSE, TES5VR, ENDERAL, ENDERALSE

sheson

1 minute ago, sheson said:

From the first post or the Readme.txt included in the download archive:
Use command line arguments to set the paths to the INI folder, plugins.txt and the data folder if required. For example:
-m:"c:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition GOG\"
-p:"c:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Skyrim Special Edition GOG\plugins.txt"
-d:"c:\GOG Games\Skyrim Special Edition GOG\Data\"

xLODGen is a tool mode of xEdit, so it is setup is the same way. Read the documentation of the mod manager to learn how to use it. https://github.com/ModOrganizer2/modorganizer/wiki/Executables-window.

Thanks.  Now that i think about it are those command lines even required if i use MO2?  Will MO2 not make it point automatically to Fallout 4 GOG?  And those command lines would need to be added to a shortcut of XLodGen but i need to run the utility itself from within MO2 and not from a shortcut if i want it to work.

Apologies for the barrage of questions.  I just started using MO2 and while it's been a fun learning curve it also adds an annoying layer of complexity to everything.

30 minutes ago, PegasusKoga said:

Thanks.  Now that i think about it are those command lines even required if i use MO2?  Will MO2 not make it point automatically to Fallout 4 GOG?  And those command lines would need to be added to a shortcut of XLodGen but i need to run the utility itself from within MO2 and not from a shortcut if i want it to work.

Apologies for the barrage of questions.  I just started using MO2 and while it's been a fun learning curve it also adds an annoying layer of complexity to everything.

This is the xLODGen support channel. I already provided a link to the relevant documentation of the mod manager that explains how to add tools. It also explains the Arguments field and shows it in a screenshot. I suggest to follow a modding guide. I do not provide generic modding help or support for mod managers. A Windows shortcut or bat file would work, too but is only really needed when modding manually or using a mod manager that does not allow adding executables like this.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sheson said:

This is the xLODGen support channel. I already provided a link to the relevant documentation of the mod manager that explains how to add tools. It also explains the Arguments field and shows it in a screenshot. I suggest to follow a modding guide. I do not provide generic modding help or support for mod managers. A Windows shortcut or bat file would work, too but is only really needed when modding manually or using a mod manager that does not allow adding executables like this.

Fair enough, time for some Googling, i realized myself i was going off topic so i appreciate it that you replied nevertheless.

Cheers and thank you.

I have one last question, i swear i tried to look it up.

Where in my Fallout 4 load order do i place the plugin for the BA2's that contain the assets that XLodGen created?  Below or above my Wrye Bash bashed patch?

33 minutes ago, PegasusKoga said:

I have one last question, i swear i tried to look it up.

Where in my Fallout 4 load order do i place the plugin for the BA2's that contain the assets that XLodGen created?  Below or above my Wrye Bash bashed patch?

Automatically generated patch plugins should usually always load after the plugins that were present when the patch was generated,

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, sheson said:

Automatically generated patch plugins should usually always load after the plugins that were present when the patch was generated,

Sorry i wasn't being clear, i'm talking about the blank plugin you need so the game can read the BA2 files with the XLodgen textures and meshes that i packed with the CK's Archive tool.

Edited by PegasusKoga

5 hours ago, PegasusKoga said:

Sorry i wasn't being clear, i'm talking about the blank plugin you need so the game can read the BA2 files with the XLodgen textures and meshes that i packed with the CK's Archive tool.

Autogenerated content for a load order generally should be ordered in the same order that it is generated. For this case, it is sufficient that it loads after any mod that itself bundles pregenerated LOD.

5 hours ago, PegasusKoga said:

Do you have any BA2 archives associated with the bashed patch? Does it contain any meshes or textures conflicting with the meshes and textures generated with xLODGen? If there are no conflicts, then the order between the two is irrelevant.

Generated LOD meshes and textures typically overwrite everything, unless otherwise specified by a mod/tool.

7 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

Autogenerated content for a load order generally should be ordered in the same order that it is generated. For this case, it is sufficient that it loads after any mod that itself bundles pregenerated LOD.

7 hours ago, sheson said:

Do you have any BA2 archives associated with the bashed patch? Does it contain any meshes or textures conflicting with the meshes and textures generated with xLODGen? If there are no conflicts, then the order between the two is irrelevant.

Generated LOD meshes and textures typically overwrite everything, unless otherwise specified by a mod/tool.

Thanks to the both of you for replying.

The bashed patch did not have any BA2 affiliated with it that would conflict and i kept it last in my load order because not one of the tutorials or guides mentioned putting the plugin that pulls the XLodGen assets below it.

I also did not encounter any LOD-related incongruities when i left Vault 111 and walked around a bit so i think i'm good.

• sheson changed the title to xLODGen - Terrain LOD beta 114 for FNV, FO3, FO4, FO4VR, TES5, SSE, TES5VR, ENDERAL, ENDERALSE

I'm starting to feel like the Adoring Fan here because i keep coming back.

Anyway, generated lod, went without a hitch, except that i have to start over completely because i missed a crucial step.

After the fact i got told by the author of A Forest that i should have unpacked his BA2's so his assets would be used during XlodGen processing, meaning i'm back at square one.

What assets do i need to unpack from the BA2's though?  Meshes\landscape, Meshes\lod or Meshes\terrain?  Once i know that i can also unpack the corresponding textures.

*Edit*  XlodGen reads all the plugins in your load order as pointed out by DoubleYouC on Nexus, thanks for that, so no unpacking is required.

Edited by PegasusKoga
question answered

8 hours ago, PegasusKoga said:

I'm starting to feel like the Adoring Fan here because i keep coming back.

Anyway, generated lod, went without a hitch, except that i have to start over completely because i missed a crucial step.

After the fact i got told by the author of A Forest that i should have unpacked his BA2's so his assets would be used during XlodGen processing, meaning i'm back at square one.

What assets do i need to unpack from the BA2's though?  Meshes\landscape, Meshes\lod or Meshes\terrain?  Once i know that i can also unpack the corresponding textures.

*Edit*  Never mind, got my question answered by DoubleYouC on Nexus, thanks for that.

No assets whatsoever need to be unpacked from any BSA or BA2. xEdit, xLODGen etc. support reading from archive files.

Check the log that all required and desired archives are being loaded.

If editing a post, it is common sense to add the actual answer/solution instead of just "never mind".

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, macejko said:

Hello there, can anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong when generating terrain LOD through xLODGen, as I always end up with this: scrnsht1 & scrnsht2. Is it some settings I'm inputting wrong (I've tried Viva New Vegas ones but still the same)? 

If you have issues following a third party guide, you need to ask its author(s), forum, discord etc. for help.

No FNVLODGen_log.txt was uploaded. The actual used settings were not provided. It is assumed "this" refers to terrain LOD showing in the active cells.

LOD not unloading in the active cells is typically an engine or game INI setting problem and unrelated to the LOD meshes/textures or which tool was used to generate them.
Test with default INIs, without other mods, etc.

6 hours ago, sheson said:

If you have issues following a third party guide, you need to ask its author(s), forum, discord etc. for help.

No FNVLODGen_log.txt was uploaded. The actual used settings were not provided. It is assumed "this" refers to terrain LOD showing in the active cells.

LOD not unloading in the active cells is typically an engine or game INI setting problem and unrelated to the LOD meshes/textures or which tool was used to generate them.
Test with default INIs, without other mods, etc.

Sorry, I didn't realize I was being so inconsiderate, let me try again.

I don't know what the problem is, but if its LOD not unloading in the active cells, it probably isn't the only problem since whats on the screenshot doesn't look like a LOD texture but like some sort of yellow gradient texture. I've generated terrain LOD on my own, this happened, I deleted the LOD files and tried again, this time with the Viva New Vegas LOD guide as reference, to see if I made a mistake the first time but no - same result). These are the settings I've used and here is the fnvlodgen file.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by macejko

9 minutes ago, macejko said:

Sorry, I didn't realize I was being so inconsiderate, let me try again.

I don't know what the problem is, but if its LOD not unloading in the active cells, it probably isn't the only problem since whats on the screenshot doesn't look like a LOD texture but like some sort of yellow gradient texture. I've generated terrain LOD on my own, this happened, I deleted the LOD files and tried again, this time with the Viva New Vegas LOD guide as reference, to see if I made a mistake the first time but no - same result). These are the settings I've used and here is the fnvlodgen file.

Thanks for the help.

Toggle all LOD off/on with tll in console. Whatever remains is not LOD., if it went away it was LOD.

xLODGen generates LOD meshes and textures. The engine decide how to load and display them. Meshes and textures do not change how the engine works.
The settings seem typical and changing them is unlikely to change whatever the issue is.

There are no serious problems that stick out in the LOD generation. There is that - unrelated - overriden record reported by the background load that warrants being looked at.