xLODGen - Terrain LOD beta 111 for FNV, FO3, FO4, FO4VR, TES5, SSE, TES5VR, ENDERAL, ENDERALSE

sheson

1 hour ago, JayPrime said:

Sheson, I have a problem running xLodgen for FO4. I am using the latest beta 85 and the process suspends in the middle of every run. I tried resuming the process with resource monitor but could not get it to start up again. I copied the log up to the point of suspension. I don't know what is going wrong. My rig is powerful enough to run the process with no problems, I turned off my antivirus for the run also. Every run seems to stall after finishing the LOD levels and when starting terrain LOD meshes.

I don't know what else to do. Is there an archive where I can download a previous version?

xLodgen Log.txt 871 kB · 0 downloads

Check if xLODGen in task manager still uses CPU or if it might be waiting for Texconvx64.exe running spawned in the background. Make sure no UAC, anti-vir is blocking access.

Do not generate to the game data folder or mod manager folders. Use -o to set a dedicated output folder.

So I finally solved a problem why I had "plastic-wrapped mountains" after enabling the Terrain Underside option before generating -- it's because of Terrain Manager settings that were set too low in Skyrimprefs.ini, especially fBlockMaximumDistance.

Previous (I think BethINI did these settings):

fBlockLevel0Distance=50000.0000
fBlockLevel1Distance=72500.0000
fBlockMaximumDistance=94000.0000
fSplitDistanceMult=4.0000
fTreeLoadDistance=72500.0000

After setting to vanilla Ultra settings:

fBlockLevel0Distance=35000.0000
fBlockLevel1Distance=70000.0000
fBlockMaximumDistance=250000.0000
fSplitDistanceMult=1.5
fTreeLoadDistance=75000.0000

No more "plastic wrap"!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have the same problem some others already reported here, xLODGen/xLODGenx64 randomly crashes when creating textures after the mesh creation is complete (target SkyrimSE, Terrain LOD). In the logs you see nothing, it simply stops. In the windows event log the crash is logged with exception code "0x0eedfade", I think this means "Unknown software exception", so this isn't really very helpfull. I am running this on a high end rig (threadripper), so I guess it's a multithreading/race condition problem, or so.

grafik.thumb.png.21e9747e6d6987f2cac1cf8492f059f0.png

Edited by nopse

1 hour ago, nopse said:

Hi, I have the same problem some others already reported here, xLODGen/xLODGenx64 randomly crashes when creating textures after the mesh creation is complete (target SkyrimSE, Terrain LOD). In the logs you see nothing, it simply stops. In the windows event log the crash is logged with exception code "0x0eedfade", I think this means "Unknown software exception", so this isn't really very helpfull. I am running this on a high end rig (threadripper), so I guess it's a multithreading/race condition problem, or so.

grafik.thumb.png.21e9747e6d6987f2cac1cf8492f059f0.png

Any exception happening in the application is handled by it and should produce a bugreport.txt. That is why it makes it so hard to analyze or troubleshoot. Any normal race condition should not be able to break out of it. it you have the means to reduce the max number of cores/threads for testing, try that anyways.

I think, running TexGenx64.exe in Windows 8 compatibility mode fixes the problem. Because I had a similiar error, when running TexGen to create textures. I always got a "file not found error" (or so) at the line "textures\landscape\roads\road01_n.dds,textures\landscape\roads\road01fallforest01_n.dds" in "DynDOLOD_TES5_TexGen_copy_skyrimesm.txt", when TexGen was creating some temporay files. If I commented that line out, I got a "file not found error" at the next line. I suppose TexGen can open only a limited number of files within a certain time interval. If it tries to open more, you get a "file not found error". Maybe its a bug in the VFS from ModOrganizer2, but running Texgen in Windows 8 compatibility mode, seems to solve the problem.

4 hours ago, nopse said:

I think, running TexGenx64.exe in Windows 8 compatibility mode fixes the problem. Because I had a similiar error, when running TexGen to create textures. I always got a "file not found error" (or so) at the line "textures\landscape\roads\road01_n.dds,textures\landscape\roads\road01fallforest01_n.dds" in "DynDOLOD_TES5_TexGen_copy_skyrimesm.txt", when TexGen was creating some temporay files. If I commented that line out, I got a "file not found error" at the next line. I suppose TexGen can open only a limited number of files within a certain time interval. If it tries to open more, you get a "file not found error". Maybe its a bug in the VFS from ModOrganizer2, but running Texgen in Windows 8 compatibility mode, seems to solve the problem.

This is the xLODGen thread!?

If TexGen or any tool has problem finding files it because the files do not exist or the OS, antivir etc. prevent access.

We all use MO opening files without problems. 

I saw the file in ModOrganizer2 in the Data tab, it existed (overwritten two times, by  "Landscapes - Cathedral Concept" and "Skyrim_Realistic_Overhaul"), but TexGen couldn't see it, only after i set "Windows 8 compatibility mode" for the TexGenx64.exe, it worked.

grafik.thumb.png.d1794e344e12f4ddb4f302e5f636aa42.png

8 minutes ago, nopse said:

I saw the file in ModOrganizer2 in the Data tab, it existed (overwritten two times, by  "Landscapes - Cathedral Concept" and "Skyrim_Realistic_Overhaul"), but TexGen couldn't see it, only after i set "Windows 8 compatibility mode" for the TexGenx64.exe, it worked.

grafik.thumb.png.d1794e344e12f4ddb4f302e5f636aa42.png

Programs like xEdit, xLODGen, DynDOLOD  etc. use standard OS function to access files. It is the OS that tells a program if a file exists or not. Either because the files does not exist or the OS prevents access, typically because of UAC, antivir etc.

15 minutes ago, sheson said:

Programs like xEdit, xLODGen, DynDOLOD  etc. use standard OS function to access files. It is the OS that tells a program if a file exists or not. Either because the files does not exist or the OS prevents access, typically because of UAC, antivir etc.

Yes, maybe "Windows 8 compatibility" mode sets administrator rights ? But, as I said, if I commented out the line with "road01_n.dds", I got an error in the next line, so I think, when this error happens, TexGen isn't able to access the vfs of MO2. Ah, I think, I now have it !  "road01_n.dds" is opened two times, maybe this isn't possible, because the first access locks the file ! Have a look at "DynDOLOD_SSE_TexGen_copy_skyrimesm.txt" :

// wbBuildAtlasFromAtlasMap expects _n.dds with same filename as dds, create the missig ones
textures\architecture\windhelm\whruinstone_n.dds,textures\architecture\windhelm\whruinstonedark_n.dds
textures\landscape\mountains\mountainslab02_n.dds,textures\dungeons\caves\caverocks01_n.dds
textures\dungeons\rubblepile01_n.dds,textures\dungeons\rubblepile02_n.dds
textures\dungeons\ridgedstonewall02_n.dds,textures\dungeons\ridgedstone02a_n.dds
textures\dungeons\ridgedstone06_n.dds,textures\dungeons\ridgedstone05_n.dds
textures\landscape\mountains\mountainslab02_n.dds,textures\dungeons\caves\caverocks01_n.dds
textures\dungeons\imperial\impextrubble01_n.dds,textures\dungeons\imperial\impextrubble01ice_n.dds
textures\dungeons\imperial\impextwall01_n.dds,textures\dungeons\imperial\impextwall01ice_n.dds
textures\dungeons\imperial\impwall05_n.dds,textures\dungeons\imperial\impwall05ice_n.dds
textures\dungeons\imperial\impwood01_n.dds,textures\dungeons\ships\shipwood01_n.dds
textures\landscape\dirt02_n.dds,textures\effects\fxdirtmound01_n.dds
textures\landscape\trees\treepineforestbarkcompsnow_n.dds,textures\dlc02\landscape\trees\treepineforestbarkcompash_n.dds
textures\architecture\winterhold\magestatue_n.dds,textures\architecture\winterhold\magestatue_d_n.dds
textures\landscape\roads\road01_n.dds,textures\landscape\roads\road01fallforest01_n.dds
textures\landscape\roads\road01_n.dds,textures\landscape\roads\road01reach01_n.dds
textures\architecture\whiterun\wrdragontile01.dds,textures\architecture\whiterun\wrdragontileblack01_n.dds

Maybe, TexGen can open the file twice, if it sets read-only mode ?

Edited by nopse

17 minutes ago, nopse said:

Yes, maybe "Windows 8 compatibility" mode sets administrator rights ? But, as I said, if I commented out the line with "road01_n.dds", I got an error in the next line, so I think, when this error happens, TexGen isn't able to access the vfs of MO2.

You do not provide any information, no logs. You are posting on xLODGen thread. No idea what DynDOLOD version you are using or what the exact error message is. You are just making assumptions about things to explain the problem instead of reporting the problem. So I can just explain how checking if a file exists actually works.

You probably need to add exceptions to Windows Defender like everybody else as explained and discussed dozens of times before.

For any tool to be able to "access" VFS of MO2, the tool needs to be started from MO2.

9 minutes ago, sheson said:

You do not provide any information. You are posting on xLODGen thread. You are just making assumptions about things. I just explaining how checking if a file access works.

You probably need to add exceptions to Windows Defender like everybody else as explained and discussed dozens of times before.

I followed step 5 in the Step 1.0 SkyrimSE guide. Since TexGen coud find the other files (before road01_n.dds), I don't think its Windows Defender. Sure, I am guessing, but I think, that's the most reasonable explanation, if TexGen tries to open the same file twice in a short space of time, it get's an access denied error. This would also explain, why xLodGen randomly crashes (it tries to access the same file twice too fast)

6 minutes ago, nopse said:

I followed step 5 in the Step 1.0 SkyrimSE guide. Since TexGen coud find the other files (before road01_n.dds), I don't think its Windows Defender. Sure, I am guessing, but I think, that's the most reasonable explanation, if TexGen tries to open the same file twice in a short space of time, it get's an access denied error. This would also explain, why xLodGen randomly crashes (it tries to access the same file twice too fast)

No.

4 hours ago, nopse said:

Ok, if you say so, I will try to put my ModOrganizer instances/profile directory somewhere else (not in my home directory), so it isn't under UAT

You should post all of your logs on the DynDOLOD topic as explained in that OP. If it's an xLODGen issue, you should post those logs here as explained in this OP.

Log files and bugreport.txt are what's needed for the issue to be diagnosed beyond speculation.

• 2 weeks later...