xLODGen - Terrain LOD beta 111 for FNV, FO3, FO4, FO4VR, TES5, SSE, TES5VR, ENDERAL, ENDERALSE

sheson

16 hours ago, DodoEgg said:

I'm having a similar issue to @z929669 as above, where my SSELODGen just stops whatever it's doing at a seemingly random point. It goes to 0 % CPU usage, and eventually task manager just considers it suspended, resuming the process doesn't get LODGen going again either. Particularly Tamriel and Sovngarde seem to be problem spots, as smaller vanilla areas like Japhet's Folly and Markarth seem to work fine, unfortunately it seems to stop in a different place each time so I don't think it's a specific cell causing a problem.

So far I've tried:

• Clean reinstalling LODGen
  • Running outside of ModOrganizer only on vanilla files (still stopped working)
  • Running with nothing else in the background
  • Turning down settings according to the "first time" description on the download post (I was initially using settings from The Phoenix Flavour guide)
  • Turning off antivirus and security
  • Moving output folder to my NVMe drive (original location was on a HDD, everything related to mods and games is outside of UAC folders)
  • Renaming executable to SSELODGen (removing x64)

Unfortunately, because the process never "crashes", I don't have a bug report, though LODGen_log always ends like:
Log ended at time
Code: 0

With time being whenever it stopped running, whether it ran for 17 minutes before suspending or for half a minute.

CPU usage sometimes gets high above 70% but never stays that way for more than a second. My CPU is a Ryzen 5 3600, and I have 16GB of RAM, so I don't think it's due to a lack of processing power.

I've seen a few posts with similar issues to mine, but none of the given solutions have helped me yet.

I assume you mean while it is generating terrain LOD textures. How is that similar to the crashes without bugreport that only show up in event log?

Post the xLODGen log which is saved when closing. If it does not save it, mark and copy/paste from the message log window.

58 minutes ago, sheson said:

I assume you mean while it is generating terrain LOD textures. How is that similar to the crashes without bugreport that only show up in event log?

Post the xLODGen log which is saved when closing. If it does not it, mark and copy/paste from the message log window.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough about it, it seemed quite similar from my view, down to the process sometimes not even showing in task manager at all despite literally running behind the task manager window. I've attached the log file, for info, I closed LODGen at 23:30 (so it basically stopped doing stuff 12 mins before I decided to close it). This time it didn't even get to the textures, though sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

LODGen_log.txt

9 hours ago, DodoEgg said:

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough about it, it seemed quite similar from my view, down to the process sometimes not even showing in task manager at all despite literally running behind the task manager window. I've attached the log file, for info, I closed LODGen at 23:30 (so it basically stopped doing stuff 12 mins before I decided to close it). This time it didn't even get to the textures, though sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

LODGen_log.txt 174.58 kB · 0 downloads

This is the LODgen log form generating terrain LOD meshes. It shows that terrain LOD meshes were generated without error.

Upload the xLODGen log with the message printed to message log window. The x stands for TES5/SSE etc.

Generating textures uses ..\Edit Script\Texconv.exe make sure it also is not prevented from file access. If you choose settings like BC7 max it will take a while to convert textures. Texconv uses the GPU and xLODGen may have to wait for it to finish and will have 0 CPU in this time.

4 hours ago, sheson said:

This is the LODgen log form generating terrain LOD meshes. It shows that terrain LOD meshes were generated without error.

Upload the xLODGen log with the message printed to message log window. The x stands for TES5/SSE etc.

Generating textures uses ..\Edit Script\Texconv.exe make sure it also is not prevented from file access. If you choose settings like BC7 max it will take a while to convert textures. Texconv uses the GPU and xLODGen may have to wait for it to finish and will have 0 CPU in this time.

I've attached the SSELODGen, but it only seems to have last updated when I had an .ini issue after verifying files on Steam. Refreshing my .ini on BethINI fixed that. I don't think it's a time issue, I'm running on BC7 Quick for today's runs, most recent one it stopped at 3 mins, I left it on for 40 mins after that, zero change. Seems like a 50/50 chance now if it even gets to textures, and when it does, it'll run through several just fine, then at some point just stops at any random texture.

My GPU is a 3060Ti, so unless Phoenix Flavour was made for absolute 1% spec, I don't think it should be giving up on this so easily.

SSELODGen_log.txt

1 hour ago, DodoEgg said:

I've attached the SSELODGen, but it only seems to have last updated when I had an .ini issue after verifying files on Steam. Refreshing my .ini on BethINI fixed that. I don't think it's a time issue, I'm running on BC7 Quick for today's runs, most recent one it stopped at 3 mins, I left it on for 40 mins after that, zero change. Seems like a 50/50 chance now if it even gets to textures, and when it does, it'll run through several just fine, then at some point just stops at any random texture.

My GPU is a 3060Ti, so unless Phoenix Flavour was made for absolute 1% spec, I don't think it should be giving up on this so easily.

SSELODGen_log.txt 1.09 kB · 0 downloads

Typically the content of the log messages window is saved to the xLODGen log file.

If that doesn't happen, mark, copy and paste the log message from the messages window before forcefully terminating the program.

2 hours ago, sheson said:

Typically the content of the log messages window is saved to the xLODGen log file.

If that doesn't happen, mark, copy and paste the log message from the messages window before forcefully terminating the program.

I'm not sure if this is the log window you meantlog.txt, but it's the only one I could see (I wasn't able to see the command window for Texconv). I've replaced any part that had my name with "name".

1 hour ago, DodoEgg said:

I'm not sure if this is the log window you meantlog.txt, but it's the only one I could see (I wasn't able to see the command window for Texconv). I've replaced any part that had my name with "name".

This is it.

So it just works for almost 3 minutes and then just kind of stops adding new lines to the log and sits there and waits forever  > 5 minutes?
You see any Texconvx64.exe in the task manager?

1 hour ago, sheson said:

This is it.

So it just works for almost 3 minutes and then just kind of stops adding new lines to the log and sits there and waits forever  > 5 minutes?

Basically yeah. I do see Texconvx64 in the task manager. Usually it shows up like in the attached image, but sometimes it won't show up under apps, instead under background processes. Occasionally there's also a command prompt window under xEdit (in task manager, I never physically see the other command prompt window).

Yesterday the timing varied pretty massively, first run it went for about 17 mins, other times only a minute. Today's attempts all seem to stop at around 2:50-3:00, though once again, never at the same specific cell.

Screenshot 2021-10-18 185257.png

1 hour ago, sheson said:

This is it.

I can't say that I remember seeing Textconv process running when this has happened to me, but I cannot say for sure. I always suspected that it was some LODGenx64.exe or Texconvx64.exe issue rather than xLODGenx64.exe, given the lack of logs or bugreport.txt. My issue was always a general kernel DLL fail reported via xLODGenx64.exe as the app.

Glad I am no longer the only person with this issue. I am on an AMD system if that matters.

22 minutes ago, DodoEgg said:

Basically yeah. I do see Texconvx64 in the task manager. Usually it shows up like in the attached image, but sometimes it won't show up under apps, instead under background processes. Occasionally there's also a command prompt window under xEdit (in task manager, I never physically see the other command prompt window).

Yesterday the timing varied pretty massively, first run it went for about 17 mins, other times only a minute. Today's attempts all seem to stop at around 2:50-3:00, though once again, never at the same specific cell.

Screenshot 2021-10-18 185257.png

I guess the next step would be to troubleshoot why Texconv gets suspended by the OS or why it seems to wait for something (files access maybe)... not sure myself right now how to do that or why. Hunch is always anti vir, but mught also have to with access to use the GPU.

Let see what happens if Texconv is not used to convert the output. Change the terrain LOD texture format for diffuse and normal map for all LOD levels to 888.

See what happens then.

Texconv may still be used to convert full landscape textures for reading. So still check task manager for it. Maybe it stalls reading a texture.

1 hour ago, sheson said:

I guess the next step would be to troubleshoot why Texconv gets suspended by the OS or why it seems to wait for something (files access maybe)... not sure myself right now how to do that or why. Hunch is always anti vir, but mught also have to with access to use the GPU.

Let see what happens if Texconv is not used to convert the output. Change the terrain LOD texture format for diffuse and normal map for all LOD levels to 888.

See what happens then.

Texconv may still be used to convert full landscape textures for reading. So still check task manager for it. Maybe it stalls reading a texture.

That seemed to complete succesfully, though texconv still opened. xEdit was very strange in task manager, appearing and disappearing randomly throughout the process. It also still suspended, seen in the log where it jumps from 05:57 to 07:32. At 05:57 it stopped, though I couldn't see it in task manager at all, just before that CPU usage was at 90-100% for a few seconds, then dropping to single digits when it stopped. Unsuspending xLODGen got it running again at 07:32, though when I tried to unsuspend Texconv, its status went to "terminated", despite xLODGen continuing the textures just fine, so I don't know if it those textures actually completed succesfully.

log 2.txt

11 hours ago, DodoEgg said:

That seemed to complete succesfully, though texconv still opened. xEdit was very strange in task manager, appearing and disappearing randomly throughout the process. It also still suspended, seen in the log where it jumps from 05:57 to 07:32. At 05:57 it stopped, though I couldn't see it in task manager at all, just before that CPU usage was at 90-100% for a few seconds, then dropping to single digits when it stopped. Unsuspending xLODGen got it running again at 07:32, though when I tried to unsuspend Texconv, its status went to "terminated", despite xLODGen continuing the textures just fine, so I don't know if it those textures actually completed succesfully.

log 2.txt 1007.82 kB · 0 downloads

The OS multi threading control or task manager seems to be problematic.

See what happen when you set the process priority of xLODGen to normal or higher once it starts generating textures.

You are using beta 84?

On 10/5/2021 at 3:32 PM, z929669 said:

Those settings are out of date, and we have learned much more from our continued use of the tools and from sheson's feedback.

Can you point to the forum post so that I can modify for posterity?

In the meantime, these settings are much more up to date...

Hello Z, I think the OP referred to this link and settings which link to the v1 of the xLODGen Guide, as I understand:

https://stepmodifications.org/wiki/SkyrimSE:1.0.0#xLODGen

Me too I was struggling to find the STEP 2.0 recommended settings which you link in your above response. I did find and read the 5 pages long testing thread but thereafter was wondering if v2.0 settings were agreed upon. Apparently they were. Maybe I did something unsmart in searching for your linked page, in this case Sorry. And thank you for the new link! :-)

Edited by TommyH

7 hours ago, TommyH said:

Hello Z, I think the OP referred to this link and settings which link to the v1 of the xLODGen Guide, as I understand:

https://stepmodifications.org/wiki/SkyrimSE:1.0.0#xLODGen

Me too I was struggling to find the STEP 2.0 recommended settings which you link in your above response. I did find and read the 5 pages long testing thread but thereafter was wondering if v2.0 settings were agreed upon. Apparently they were. Maybe I did something unsmart in searching for your linked page, in this case Sorry. And thank you for the new link! :-)

The 2.0.0 guide is still in development and so is the LODGen stuff, but terrain LODGen is probably pretty much 'done' for our build at least.

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm that xLODGenx64 process continues to close reliably for me during the texture-creation process of any given worldspace, and this happens randomly.

In other words, I can rarely gen for all worldspaces without issue, but it happens. More often, it fails during Tamriel worldspace texture creation (usually at the very beginning). It also often quits during DLC2SolstheimWorld, but it can happen during gen of any worldspace for me.

I do think it's texconv process as mentioned. I have a fairly high-end system, so I am wondering if it's possible to add a 100 ms pause between invocations of texconv or some such sorcery. I think this process might be stepping on itself or something like that. Grasping at straws though.

Again, the program just quits without bugreport or any log indicators. I simply look at the log to see what hasn't finished and run the remaining worldspaces from that point (glad they are processed in order of list in the program!). Texconv doesn't seem to run if the textures exist, so it works.