Followed Guide game wont launch Help!

adzc1987

Question

Its took me a while but I just finished the guide. It wont launch (fallout3.exe has stoped responding error) and I keep getting an error about a master file -

"The masters for some plugins (esp/esm) are not enabled.
The game will crash unless you install and enable the following plugins:

• 20th Century v5 ALIVE (TEST Container).esp"

I cannot locate this file anywhere.

For some reason I also cannot seem to get it to load FOSE via MO, I got the game to lauch at the end of the

"The Need for UIO - User Interface Organizer "

section, I launhed FO3 via MO and it starts but no FOSE, when i launch via FOSE Loader in the FO3 folder it seemed to be fine, but when I try FOSE via MO it comes up with a dos box for a second then its gone.

I cant seem to make the bash file due to this either I dont think.

TBh im not sure what info is needed. I spent ages on this thinking everything was ok as MO did not seem to indictate any issues. Help please!

Edited by adzc1987

I can't see how BSAs being extracted or not would produce an error with FOSE, so no, not related.

The comment on extracting BSAs is for MO 1.2, this shouldn't be an issue with MO 1.3 .

Ok, good to know. I'll just have to keep working through the guide again and see if it reoccurs. I might be really overly OCD this time, not only making a new profile for each section, but keeping record of everything I do - meticulously - from any sorting of masters, cleaning of plugins, adding bash tags, etc. I'm kind of dreading it, though, since it took me almost two months working through the guide in my spare time to get to this point already. But hopefully it'll help me keep track if any issues arise.

I'd really like to help figure this out, though.

Hopefully adzc1987 replies and can provide more info on the error he experienced.

Edited by 13thGeneral

Before installing the mods I tried to make sure all the utilities were installed and working properly (including MO), that Windows programs like .Net and C++ re distributable were installed, and that the permissions for folders used by the game were setup. This seemed to be helpful as I have had problems previously with Bethesda games when I didn't do this.

Before installing the mods I tried to make sure all the utilities were installed and working properly (including MO), that Windows programs like .Net and C++ re distributable were installed, and that the permissions for folders used by the game were setup. This seemed to be helpful as I have had problems previously with Bethesda games when I didn't do this.

Good advice, I'll check all that.

As before im not wanting to spend all the time sorting the mods anymore I am afraid.

I totally understand. When it started crashing on me again, I had a bit of an anxiety panic and a got little depressed - at that point I had just spent about 7 weeks going through the guide in my spare time. The idea of going through all that again is not a happy thought.

It was so bad I almost decided to just go back to my NMM game to be honest. But I took a few days off and am back at square one trying to figure it out.

Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment.

Good luck!

Edited by 13thGeneral

So far, so good. I've just finished adding some of the mods in the 'Quest' section - the ones in interested in, at least - and haven't run into any loading issues, freezes, or ctds on startup. I'm going to try running around a bit outside of Megaton, before confining with installing more mods from the guide, just to give it a little shake and see if it holds.

And, once again I'm having crashes when launching through MO. I was playing fine last night, and suddenly this morning - boom - it crashes at start. I had played all the way through the Vault with only up to the Fixes & UI sections active without issue. There was a problem with serious slowdowns in FPS during the fight at the Vault Exit at the end of the tutorial phase, but I feel that's unrelated.

I haven't added anything new since my post above, but even with everything turned off except Cleaned Vanilla ESMs and Textures, it crashes at start. Even with EVERYTHING turned off, it crashes at start. I checked the BSAs are in proper order and AI is checked. Still crashes. I made sure the items in the 'Overwrite" folder were also not active. Still crashes. Also, occasionally it will get to the loading screen but the menu text is invisible (only a bow appears). This is so frustrating. I follow this guide to the letter, and each time, at random seeming points, it starts crashing again.

I can start the game from the Steam Launcher just fine though (selecting 1. in the FalloutLauncher), it's only when using MO that this is occurring.

I'm thinking I'll just go back to using NMM.

EDIT: Well, now it's crashing no matter how it's launched. I'm at such a loss as to what's going on.

Edited by 13thGeneral

This sounds like an outside program, most likely your anti-virus package or similar, is removing access to files used by MO.

IF the game started and played without issue yesterday AND you haven't changed anything about the setup there is NO reason for MO to not start. Software just doesn't decide to not work! Despite how we feel about it at times.

Can you either disable your AV package or set exemptions for MO to check that it isn't interfering? There might also be a quarantine folder used by it that will contain files/folders that it has removed. 

I think updating something in Windows 10 screwed it up. After all the initial crashing, I re-verified the Fallout files and it's still crashing - except now it's telling me "This app might not work correctly. Fallout 3 isn't compatible with this version of Windows" and suggests that I install Game for Windows Live... wtF?

I checked Skyrim - just in case - and a message pops up "Please update to latest version of Skyrim" before launching; it seems to run fine though.

Edited by 13thGeneral

Grab a copy of Games for Windows Disabler by Quarn and patch your Fallout exe with that, that should remove the check Windows makes on that requirement.

Thanks. I did try that, and it does stop that message, but the game still crashes at the loading screen - no matter how I launch the game. Looks like I'm going to have to nuke everything, again, and start over... again. *sigh*

Edited by 13thGeneral

I completely reinstalled the game, but it's still crashing at launch with the vanilla unmodified Fallout3.exe

Gonna try uninstalling that Win10 update...

UPDATE 1: Nope, uninstalling the Win10 update prior to this occuring didn't resolve it; it's still giving the "not compatible" message, suggesting GfWL, and crashing at loading screen.

Installing GfWL and applying the GfWL disabler didn't help.

Setting it to compatibility mode - I tried WinXP thru WinVista - didn't help.

The 3GB & 4GB disabler, didn't help.

Making the Threads edits to the .ini didn't help.

I'm running out of solutions.

Update 2: Well, I thought about it and, after uninstalling the recent Win10 update (KB3093266), I decided to uninstall GfWL (had to use Revo Uninstaller), and reinstalled the game again (wiped out everything except the MO, Mopy, and DATA folders... again); this time, when launching, it gave the "Not compatible..." message and instead of crashing it said "xlive.dll missing" - so I copied that file from my FO3 back up folder and, amazingly, it loaded. Then I applied the GfWL disabler and it still loads; though I still get the "Not compatible..." message (which wasn't showing up a few weeks ago when playing).
So, we'll see if this stays working. Now I have to go back and set all my prefs and such.

Still not sure it was the Windows Update that borked it, but it was the only change made prior to the crashing at launch.

The only other potential contributor could be, about three weeks ago, I migrated my Steam drive to a new 3TB Hybrid HD, but the game was fine for a few weeks following that. However, I figured it was worth mentioning as a possible factor.

Edited by 13thGeneral