Followed Guide game wont launch Help!

adzc1987

Question

Its took me a while but I just finished the guide. It wont launch (fallout3.exe has stoped responding error) and I keep getting an error about a master file -

"The masters for some plugins (esp/esm) are not enabled.
The game will crash unless you install and enable the following plugins:

• 20th Century v5 ALIVE (TEST Container).esp"

I cannot locate this file anywhere.

For some reason I also cannot seem to get it to load FOSE via MO, I got the game to lauch at the end of the

"The Need for UIO - User Interface Organizer "

section, I launhed FO3 via MO and it starts but no FOSE, when i launch via FOSE Loader in the FO3 folder it seemed to be fine, but when I try FOSE via MO it comes up with a dos box for a second then its gone.

I cant seem to make the bash file due to this either I dont think.

TBh im not sure what info is needed. I spent ages on this thinking everything was ok as MO did not seem to indictate any issues. Help please!

Edited by adzc1987

I haven't read the entire discussion but I found out that there are random, repeatable issues when the plugin count has an index of 92 or higher.

I have noticed, through the multiple times I've worked on installing the mods in this guide, that at various points I started having random issues and crashes. They never seem to have any correlation or commonality to determine what happened or what went wrong; just random peculiar behavior or flat-out crashing.

Even with creating a merged patch or a bashed patch, the number of plugins is just massive and thus invites potential issues. I simply don't have enough experience or knowledge to completely understand the processes and tools (let alone, the time) and use them to their full potential. It's unfortunate that modding has these barriers that dissuades or hinders the average user from really enjoying a modded game. Based on my experience alone trying to get a stable build, I do feel there's a long way to go to help those with less experience reduce the number of plugins, and get them working well together. For instance, I managed to get all the way to the end of the guide once, but the sheer amount of plugins didn't allow me any flexibility to add other mods that I like to use - and then, in my efforts to try, I screwed something up and had to start all over. I've seen this concern expressed multiple times by others utilizing this guide and others like it, and all over the Nexus. Perhaps the guide could use a bit more tweaking and additional advice to, but I'm not sure what can be done though.

Edited by 13thGeneral

I have a lot more than 92 plugins and when I was building the guide and testing the mods I did not notice such an effect. If there is such an effect the number of mods before this occurs could be system dependent. I had no crashes at all for a long time after I started the game. I have noticed that as a the length of time in the game increases there seem to be more random crashes. Since Fallout 3 wasn't built for the capabilities in current PC hardware and software it's hard to know what are the primary causes of instability.

I have a lot more than 92 plugins and when I was building the guide and testing the mods I did not notice such an effect. If there is such an effect the number of mods before this occurs could be system dependent. I had no crashes at all for a long time after I started the game. I have noticed that as a the length of time in the game increases there seem to be more random crashes. Since Fallout 3 wasn't built for the capabilities in current PC hardware and software it's hard to know what are the primary causes of instability.

True, I always try to consider that factor as well. I keep coming back and trying to get through the entire guide with a stable game, despite all my frustrations and free-time consumption going into it.

I'll take a look at your system specs and see where mine differs.

Edited by 13thGeneral

You might want to eliminate (uncheck the plugin or possibly uncheck the mod itself) some of the mods with plugins that are less interesting to you to see if it matters. There are only a few mods marked Core, and in most cases it is because they affect other mods in the guide (vs. being critical for use with the guide). I added a lot of mods about locations since these add some immersion (the vast majority of buildings in vanilla Fallout 3 have no interior spaces) and they don't typically add any conflicts in the plugin; you might want to choose only those location mods that are interesting to you. There are a number of clothing, armor, and weapon mods and you might want to use only a subset of these.

The game was never particularly stable; the original playthroughs I did years ago had some significant problems including a train station in the main quest that was unreachable.

I'll be adding the new Merge Plugins Standalone {PUBLIC BETA} to the guide as soon as it seems to be ready for general use; it is being discussed in this thread. It replaces the Merge Plugins script for xEdit. If you are merging some plugins to reduce the total plugin count you might want to try using it; note that it is a beta version and is evolving.

You might want to eliminate (uncheck the plugin or possibly uncheck the mod itself) some of the mods with plugins that are less interesting to you to see if it matters. There are only a few mods marked Core, and in most cases it is because they affect other mods in the guide (vs. being critical for use with the guide). I added a lot of mods about locations since these add some immersion (the vast majority of buildings in vanilla Fallout 3 have no interior spaces) and they don't typically add any conflicts in the plugin; you might want to choose only those location mods that are interesting to you. There are a number of clothing, armor, and weapon mods and you might want to use only a subset of these.

The game was never particularly stable; the original playthroughs I did years ago had some significant problems including a train station in the main quest that was unreachable.

Yeah, I've been playing for years and have never made it all the way through a modded playthrough because of the instability and unreliability of the game engine - but I keep trying.

I'm certainly more interested in location mods, as well as those that add more ambiance and variety to the game world, and not so much the new quest or new items mods. I'll take a harder look at the "optional" mods that don't have any reliance or requirements to other mods - That way I could perhaps weed a good many out.

I'll be adding the new Merge Plugins Standalone {PUBLIC BETA} to the guide as soon as it seems to be ready for general use; it is being discussed in this thread. It replaces the Merge Plugins script for xEdit. If you are merging some plugins to reduce the total plugin count you might want to try using it; note that it is a beta version and is evolving.

Thanks, I'll have to check that out too. I wouldn't be opposed to testing it on a separate mod profile & save game.

Edited by 13thGeneral