Followed Guide game wont launch Help!

adzc1987

Question

Its took me a while but I just finished the guide. It wont launch (fallout3.exe has stoped responding error) and I keep getting an error about a master file -

"The masters for some plugins (esp/esm) are not enabled.
The game will crash unless you install and enable the following plugins:

• 20th Century v5 ALIVE (TEST Container).esp"

I cannot locate this file anywhere.

For some reason I also cannot seem to get it to load FOSE via MO, I got the game to lauch at the end of the

"The Need for UIO - User Interface Organizer "

section, I launhed FO3 via MO and it starts but no FOSE, when i launch via FOSE Loader in the FO3 folder it seemed to be fine, but when I try FOSE via MO it comes up with a dos box for a second then its gone.

I cant seem to make the bash file due to this either I dont think.

TBh im not sure what info is needed. I spent ages on this thinking everything was ok as MO did not seem to indictate any issues. Help please!

Edited by adzc1987

In the 'Plugins' tab of MO you will see a Warning_icon_MO.png icon that will show you the plugin calling for this missing master. If this isn't a mod installed in the guide you will need to find what dependencies it needs and rectify it. If it is a guide included mod, re-read the instructions to ensure you haven't missed a step.

As to the failure to load issue, could you post the logs and you MO inis?

When installing "20th Century Weapons -Plus- Reborn FWE-WMK-Calibr" did you follow the guide instructions to move all 3 plugins with the word "Alive" to optional ESPs? If you want, these 3 plugins can be deleted vs. moved.

If there is a missing master Fose will not load the game. In this case the problem isn't a missing master, it's a plugin which uses that master; the plugin itself should have been removed.

Couple of things.

There shouldn't be any need to have FOMM anymore, most of what that is used for can now be done with MO.

The last line of your log is this:

INFO (15:06:07.0269): Windows Exception (c0000005). Origin: "E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 3 goty\fallout3.exe" (688156). Last hooked call: unsigned long __stdcall GetFileAttributesW_rep(const unsigned short *)

What this indicates is the failure to load is not from MO but teh game engine falling over, possibly due to a missing bsa or master or even a bad mod.

I can only suggest you create a new blank profile and test that FOSE gets called correctly and the game starts with no mods, just to verify a correct installation.

One last thing that grabs my eye, you have this call made in your log:

E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 3 goty\nvd3dum.dll

That file is for nVidia's D3D driver related software and I can't see why that would be installed in your games folder. On my system it is located inside the Windows system folder structure. Are you experiencing any other issues with the game related to nVidia drivers?

I have had a similar problem with my setup and just fixed it, this may have zero relevance to your situation but I figure it is worth posting just in case.

I just started using this guide today and have just barely finished the ENB section.  No mods installed yet, only the cleaned vanilla esms.  Mine kept crashing as well, only through MO and with the exact same Windows Exception quoted above.  In the profiles section of MO, I simply UNchecked automatic archive invalidation and it fixed the problem.  Starts up great now.  I thought it said to have that checked in the guide, I could be mistaken.  Regardless, it may be worth inspecting your profiles to see if that makes a difference.

I think I have the 20th Cent weapons one sorted. Not sure, I reinstalled the whole lot (20th cent weapons + compatability patches) and it seems ok now.

I think I attached the things you asked for Grant. The Mod Organiser  log had to be compressed.

I have had a similar problem with my setup and just fixed it, this may have zero relevance to your situation but I figure it is worth posting just in case.

I just started using this guide today and have just barely finished the ENB section.  No mods installed yet, only the cleaned vanilla esms.  Mine kept crashing as well, only through MO and with the exact same Windows Exception quoted above.  In the profiles section of MO, I simply UNchecked automatic archive invalidation and it fixed the problem.  Starts up great now.  I thought it said to have that checked in the guide, I could be mistaken.  Regardless, it may be worth inspecting your profiles to see if that makes a difference.

To both of you, check that you have AI enabled AND there is an archive invalidation BSA listed FIRST in the Archive tab.

I forgot there is a current issue with AI in the Fallout compatibility plugins of MO that requires a bit of tweaking.

Follow the options in this post to ensure you have it correctly enabled.

I noticed that there has been a change in the 20th cent weapons on the guide. I suspect I followed the old way to install the mod, then I never noticed the update. Anyway enough on that.

I have not had specific issues relating to fallout, however I have been having display driver issues on some other games. Fallout 3 was running fine without mods. Ill do a clean install of drivers.

At work at the moment so will try everything you advise later.

Thanks for all your help.

To both of you, check that you have AI enabled AND there is an archive invalidation BSA listed FIRST in the Archive tab.

I forgot there is a current issue with AI in the Fallout compatibility plugins of MO that requires a bit of tweaking.

Follow the options in this post to ensure you have it correctly enabled.

Hey the suggestion in that post worked, thanks!  The AI BSA was indeed listed last and putting it to first allows it to start up fine.

Did not have a lot of time so did a few quick checks.

AI.bsa is already first on mine and it is checked within the profile.

I created a new profile with no mods (just AI checked within the profile) and lauched FOSE via MO, it crashed :(

Launched via the Fallout 3 option in MO, it crashed.

Launched via the Steam launch, the brought up the Fallout Launcher, clicked play and it crashed.

This is odd :S

I wonder if the multicore fix is working properly.

Edited by adzc1987

Best way to check if you have 'ballsed 'em up' is to remove them and let the launcher generate new ones.

If you can't even get the game to start from the launcher you may also want to 'verify the cache integrity' from within the Steam client.

At any rate, best option now is to start from a clean slate, don't try removing things looking for an issue, work the opposite way with a clean, minimal install. Ensure that a vanilla game can start with no issue and then proceed to installing the mods.

You can take the current "Mod Organizer\mods" folder and make a copy of it with a different name (e.g., "modscopy"). Get the game running with just the vanilla files. See whether the Fallout Launcher works without using MO (double clicking in the Fallout 3 goty folder), then move on to using Mod Organizer. You will be able to use the mod folders in "Mod Organizer\mods" to reinstall mods after you get the vanilla game working; you won't need to do the usual time consuming full installation. After getting the vanilla game working, you can move (or copy) a small set of mods at a time back  to the new "Mod Organizer\mods" folder (if you make a new "mods" folder).

The guide mentions in several places making new Mod Organizer profiles at different steps of the installation, and also has a recommendation that this be done at multiple points in the installation that are not necessarily called out explicitly. Doing this allows you to quickly try versions of the installation with fewer mods. This is strongly encouraged.

One of the hardest parts to do is getting the Fallout ini files back to their default value; make sure to do this.