Automatic STEP

As for hating the internet, well yes, I do loathe a good part of it.

Good point, so do a lot of people for good reasons. However if you loath a part of the internet, shouldn't you only loath the part of torrent that pirates exploit?

User downloads all mods, puts them into a single directory and with the use of black magic, the tool would run and configure a proper STEP image and install it for the user.

That would be nice. Although if I just used that version of STEP, I wouldn't have learned MO or WB. I love MO now, I wish I started using it earlier, the idea of profiles makes will prevent me from going back to NMM. I probably would've started using it eventually, but sometimes you need someone to push you into the water for the first time, you know?

Torrents are nice if you have a single product you want to maintain with massive updates on a semi-regular basis. Hence why just about all MMO´s and other online games use them when you download clients and updates. In that case it is a smart and good use of what would otherwise be a woefully inefficient server setup... At least that was the way it was explained to me the last time I had an expert in network infrastructure explain it to me. 

However again.. we only maintain the guide, and to a minor extent the various patches which can throw some people off trying out STEP. All of the how to get the files is entirely in the hands of the Nexus, and how they want to do it. If any change is going to be made on that front you are going to have to bring technical reasons to the nexus... and most likely also have something to back it up. Just saying "use torrents because reasons" is not really going to make a major website just drop their existing infrastructure and most likely also contracts with other providers etc. There have to be at least a proof of concept and actual code or product on the table and all that jazz.

Your logic fails me, Smitty. I loathe torrents, period.

End of discussion.

I respect your opinion but do not agree with it.

There have to be at least a proof of concept and actual code or product on the table and all that jazz.

Oh yeah no, it would take a Skype chat full of people who know what they're talking about to make that happen. They would probably slowly integrate it if they did decided to do it, start with the larger redundant files, slowly start to eat the older smaller files while uploading the newer files to the cloud. You also need to iron out the small details, like how much extra bandwidth does someone get for donating their own? Or if rewarding upload/download ratio is even worth it, yada yada yada.

It was just an idea, I don't really expect it to go anywhere unless someone wants to actually take it where it needs to go to blossom into the next best thing.

The biggest problem with a torrent of the files would be they would become out of date before they could sufficiently seed. You would have to use technology such as Bittorrent Sync in order to make it practical.

I for one believe it would be entirely possible to create a MO plugin that would act as a "smart installer" of packs. If we could develop it so that it could query a STEP pack page for the files required and all file manipulations, all you would then need would be a checklist to download each mod required to finish the pack. That way we would not need to maintain an installer. Instead, maintaining the pack would maintain the installer.

But that all sounds like a lot of work.

A plugin is something the guys that were writing the STEP Installer could probably do. They seemed to know what they were doing and I'm sure Tannin would be happy to help them out seeing that no one has taken advantage of the plugin feature of MO by actually writing a useful plugin. It would be cool if STEP was one of the first to do something like an installer to show off the flexibility and power of MO...might just get some heads turning and get some more talented people working on MO features.

I would love it if MO could one day help mod games that aren't necessarily built to be easily modded like XCOM, Mass Effect, etc. TexMod is horrible and causes frequent instability in some of these games. But that's a whole different ballgame!