Skyrim Flora Overhaul (by vurt)

JudgmentJay

There's a patch for transparent pine and bent tree yes. My issue was the grass though. All sorted now anyway cheers.

Oh ok, good. I'm guessing you're not using ENB then since you are using Driver AA?
No I don't like ENB. They look pretty and all but, I like a solid 60 FPS everywhere. Whenever I've tried an ENB, it just feels ever so slightly sluggish. I like my game to be as smooth and responsive as possible and it just doesn't feel like it is using an ENB. My game looks good enough for me anyway :)

There's a patch for transparent pine and bent tree yes. My issue was the grass though. All sorted now anyway cheers.

Oh ok, good. I'm guessing you're not using ENB then since you are using Driver AA?
No I don't like ENB. They look pretty and all but, I like a solid 60 FPS everywhere. Whenever I've tried an ENB, it just feels ever so slightly sluggish. I like my game to be as smooth and responsive as possible and it just doesn't feel like it is using an ENB. My game looks good enough for me anyway :)
Are you using the basic version for no enb? How does that look?

Are you using the basic version for no enb? How does that look?
I'm in the process of trying different versions now (hence how I came across my sparkles problem)

I currently have basic 187 installed. I'm pleased with how it looks, though you ENB guys may not agree :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I dunno, I like that he's been actively developing recently, but I don't necessarily like all the changes. I have always hand-picked which grasses I use (and which versions of each grass i use, since there are many variations of each grass, esp. in Tundra). However, even though I don't use the mod in its entirety, I still would like to see it stay a little more true to vanilla.

• The tundra has always been a colorful region, so the changes there are ok, for the most part. Im not the biggest fan of the new 'ground' grasses (flat on the ground -- like forestgrass01/02).
  • The reach has recently been upgraded, and I like some of the new grasses and shrubs. However, he has added some of the ground grasses to the Reach, weird looking star-fish shaped plants that are vibrant in color, like they should be found in the tundra. The Reach should have a green and blue color profile with respect to the flora.
  • The fall forest area (The Rift) should be comprised of flora with lots of browns ... but as you can see in the second screenshot (above in Tiger's post - with the Aspen tress), a lot of those new grasses are very tundra-esque. not cool.

This is why I go through and manually remove and rearrange the assigned grasses so that the vanilla color profiles of the particular region can be preserved, while still adding some new grasses and other flora.

I dunno, just my $.02  :)

If I am not mistaken, the star-fish shaped plants in The Reach are supposed to be moss. I don't necessarily agree that The Reach should have a blue green color profile. Mountainous regions have lots of moss. I see it everywhere where I live (I am actually surprised vanilla Skyrim didn't have any. That's why I welcome Moss Rocks to readily). Moss is not just green (there is orange moss) and it's often very vibrant (mostly because it grows where it is very moist which in turn makes it lush looking). Apparently, the type of moss Vurt has put in the Reach is called 'Hair Cap' moss.

Examples:

https://gardeningoncloud9.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/sphagnum-moss-01.jpg

https://farm6.static.flickr.com/5216/5514800053_ee6b67f7eb.jpg

https://www.asergeev.com/p/xl-2013-1242-06/sluditsy_saint_petersburg-orange_moss_duplianskoe_marsh_south.jpg

https://alaskagirlatheart.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/green-moss-2.jpg

https://images.nationalgeographic.com/wpf/media-live/photos/000/093/cache/hair-cap-moss_9374_990x742.jpg

https://www.wallsave.com/wallpapers/1920x1200/gentoo/434002/gentoo-moss-penguin-434002.jpg

Now, I just wish more moss could be added to the game in various forms and on various objects. I would love to see some of the fluffy looking moss.

I dunno' date=' I like that he's been actively developing recently, but I don't necessarily like all the changes. I have always hand-picked which grasses I use (and which versions of each grass i use, since there are [i']many [/i]variations of each grass, esp. in Tundra). However, even though I don't use the mod in its entirety, I still would like to see it stay a little more true to vanilla.

• The tundra has always been a colorful region, so the changes there are ok, for the most part. Im not the biggest fan of the new 'ground' grasses (flat on the ground -- like forestgrass01/02).
  • The reach has recently been upgraded, and I like some of the new grasses and shrubs. However, he has added some of the ground grasses to the Reach, weird looking star-fish shaped plants that are vibrant in color, like they should be found in the tundra. The Reach should have a green and blue color profile with respect to the flora.
  • The fall forest area (The Rift) should be comprised of flora with lots of browns ... but as you can see in the second screenshot (above in Tiger's post - with the Aspen tress), a lot of those new grasses are very tundra-esque. not cool.

This is why I go through and manually remove and rearrange the assigned grasses so that the vanilla color profiles of the particular region can be preserved, while still adding some new grasses and other flora.

I dunno, just my $.02  :)

I agree with all of your critiques. 

If I am not mistaken, the star-fish shaped plants in The Reach are supposed to be moss. I don't necessarily agree that The Reach should have a blue green color profile. Mountainous regions have lots of moss. I see it everywhere where I live (I am actually surprised vanilla Skyrim didn't have any. That's why I welcome Moss Rocks to readily). Moss is not just green (there is orange moss) and it's often very vibrant (mostly because it grows where it is very moist which in turn makes it lush looking). Apparently, the type of moss Vurt has put in the Reach is called 'Hair Cap' moss.

Examples:

https://gardeningoncloud9.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/sphagnum-moss-01.jpg

https://farm6.static.flickr.com/5216/5514800053_ee6b67f7eb.jpg

https://www.asergeev.com/p/xl-2013-1242-06/sluditsy_saint_petersburg-orange_moss_duplianskoe_marsh_south.jpg

https://alaskagirlatheart.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/green-moss-2.jpg

https://images.nationalgeographic.com/wpf/media-live/photos/000/093/cache/hair-cap-moss_9374_990x742.jpg

https://www.wallsave.com/wallpapers/1920x1200/gentoo/434002/gentoo-moss-penguin-434002.jpg

Now, I just wish more moss could be added to the game in various forms and on various objects. I would love to see some of the fluffy looking moss.

yeah, all of this provides a good rebuttal, but for the wrong argument. My argument is hinged on the idea that vanilla color profiles should be maintained, not whether or not some area of our world is more or less likely to have a certain kind of flora. My assessments were solely based off of the vanilla feel and color profiles, and have made no consideration of 'real world'. This will almost always be my stance (if im speaking on these forums), as it is generally the stance of the STEP project in general (at its core, anyway). 

yeah' date=' all of this provides a good rebuttal, but for the wrong argument. My argument is hinged on the idea that vanilla color profiles should be maintained, not whether or not some area of our world is more or less likely to have a certain kind of flora. My assessments were solely based off of the vanilla feel and color profiles, and have made no consideration of 'real world'. This will almost always be my stance (if im speaking on these forums), as it is generally the stance of the STEP project in general (at its core, anyway). [/quote']

I wasn't arguing...

Just provided some facts about real life flora. Forgive me for my stance. I tend to lean toward realism when it comes to flora, which heavily inspires my Unique Grasses mod.

yeah' date=' all of this provides a good rebuttal' date=' but for the wrong argument. My argument is hinged on the idea that vanilla color profiles should be maintained, not whether or not some area of our world is more or less likely to have a certain kind of flora. My assessments were solely based off of the vanilla feel and color profiles, and have made no consideration of 'real world'. This will almost always be my stance (if im speaking on these forums), as it is generally the stance of the STEP project in general (at its core, anyway). [/quote'']

I wasn't arguing...

Just provided some facts about real life flora. Forgive me for my stance. I tend to lean toward realism when it comes to flora, which heavily inspires my Unique Grasses mod.

lol, i know. i didnt mean you were arguing :) 

an argument, as in a point/position/stance/belief ... forgive my ambiguity .. things get lost in translation, so to speak, when communicating via text :thumbsup:

yes i know of your mod. very well made, and very realistic, for earth. whether or not it is equally as realistic in Tamriel is a matter for debate ;)

I've been doing some comparisons. All these are taken with just the official High Res DLC and SFO installed. I don't use an ENB. The only INI setting changed is iMaxGrassTypesPerTexure=7 in Skyrim.ini. There are a ton of optional files available but I was only testing the main mods.

Vurt states that certain versions are for ENB and others aren't but I tested them anyway.

187 Basic "Saturated colors for vanilla Skyrim, might not work well with most ENB's"

188b Regular "Not recommended for non-ENB"

189 Regular "For ENB users"

The Reach

Vanilla

Posted Image

179e

Posted Image

180 Summer

Posted Image

181 Basic

Posted Image

181 Summer

Posted Image

182b Regular

Posted Image

184a Regular

Posted Image

185 Basic

Posted Image

186 Basic

Posted Image

187 Basic

Posted Image

188b Regular

Posted Image

189 Regular

Posted Image

The Rift

Vanilla

Posted Image

179e

Posted Image

180 Summer

Posted Image

181 Basic

Posted Image

181 Summer

Posted Image

182b Regular

Posted Image

184a Regular

Posted Image

185 Basic

Posted Image

186 Basic

Posted Image

187 Basic

Posted Image

188b Regular

Posted Image

189 Regular

Posted Image

Falkreath

Tundra

In general I always find the grass and flora too saturated for my ENB, but I know how to fix it.

Just hats off to vurt for doing the hard work! Changing colors is the easiest part of it!

Also lovely compare session there tiger! Must have taken a while to do!