New GTX 970 & 980: Dream GPUs for Skyrim modders?

Did nvidia skip 800? I hate when they do stuff like that. Now what's after 900?I really wanted native shared memory from maxwell but I guess we'll just have to wait one more cycle.

Well in fact both NVIdia and AMD havent migrated to a new manufacturing nod ( smaller lithography) in close to 2,5 years, so they are essentially improving the same silicon, a paradigm shift from what was happening in the industry for the past 12-15 years.

So ..they need to diferentiate their offerings somewhat, and fance name changes help with that :)

Well in fact both NVIdia and AMD havent migrated to a new manufacturing nod ( smaller lithography) in close to 2,5 years, so they are essentially improving the same silicon, a paradigm shift from what was happening in the industry for the past 12-15 years.

So ..they need to diferentiate their offerings somewhat, and fance name changes help with that :)

This is true... but the new cards are cooler, faster, and more efficient. These are all good things despite the same silicon. :D

That being said, with my 970 SLI setup with uGrids 5 I can run 60 fps solid indoors and outdoors. uGrids 7 brings me down to 45ish fps outdoors, indoors unaffected obviously. uGrids 9 brings it down to 30-37 at all times but still butter smooth. This is running SR:LE.

Some images that show the difference between Grids 5 and 9, note this is at 2560x1600 resolution... 1080p should be better performance:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

• +1 1

I can't wait for sheson to finish that LOD mod and forget about the uGrids stuff. In the mean time we'll all continue to participate in the time honored tradition of throwing more hardware at a software problem. ::P:

Indeed, I have been watching with interest. :D

This is true... but the new cards are cooler, faster, and more efficient. These are all good things despite the same silicon. :D

That being said, with my 970 SLI setup with uGrids 5 I can run 60 fps solid indoors and outdoors. uGrids 7 brings me down to 45ish fps outdoors, indoors unaffected obviously. uGrids 9 brings it down to 30-37 at all times but still butter smooth. This is running SR:LE.

Some images that show the difference between Grids 5 and 9, note this is at 2560x1600 resolution... 1080p should be better performance:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Can you test with only single 970 at uGrids 5? Thank you very much, Neo!

I am interested in building a new PC soon.

Edited by darkside

Can you test with only single 970 at uGrids 5? Thank you very much, Neo!

I am interested in building a new PC soon.

Yes, I would be interested,too. Single 970 with 5,7 and 9 ugrids at 1080p. If you can benchmark with these setiings please post the results.

From what I read it has one of the lowest profiles for SLI height wise. So more room between cards. Also the lowest temp of all the current 970s with 65c max....I think the spec doesn't down clock until 80c so even with any flow issues (should be none for my case) it shouldn't hit that threshold.

I'm torn between SLIing the Gigabyte G1 gaming edition and the Msi cards. It seem that Gigabyte has the best performance and best OC potential, but those dimensions tho!A 15.9 inch card? Idk if that will fit in my Phantom 410, might have to remove a cage. Also, the height is around 4 inches taller than the Msi cards. I think that there is enough room for each card SLIed on my ASUS Z97 Hero ROG, but it's the height for the top card that worries me with my Noctua NH-D14

And this is why I am glad I have an oversized water-cooling case (CaseLabs S8). I was looking at the clock speeds that Neo posted on his SR:LE guide and he has got some awesome speeds there. Now if I can find out if Skyrim minds running with the pair of cards in SLI...

Wow I could probably sleep in that case[emoji23] Same concern, though, I have heard multiple issues with SLI and Skyrim, even worse with Crossfire. However, if Neo used SLI 670s to build SRLE, it can't be that bad [emoji2]

Water-cooled cases tend to be large to accommodate the radiators and slow fans. My overclocked 780ti reports 39C at full load under Heaven and Valley. I summarised the build here... https://forum.step-project.com/topic/6086-build-log-water-cooled-caselabs-s8/

If I wanted to add a second card I would only have to modify a couple of the sections of tubing and I still have over 6m left out of the 10m I bought for the build.

The catch is that I keep hearing that Skyrim doesn't play nice with two cards and ENB and the only other games I am playing at the moment are older and barely push the single GPU above 50% load so I am sitting at the moment waiting for either the next TES or Fallout game and seeing if it benefits natively from SLI or not. If it does, I will have a good look at the 9xx cards (or whatever we are up to at that time).

Hopefully this time next week I will be able to see what my new GTX 970 can do with STEP. I was getting freezes etc with various games after putting in the new GPU so have gone the whole way and got the I5-4690 and a new Motherboard Z97 pro ASUS with a new liquid cooling system. Hopefully the freezes will go away now.  I will replace my memory if I still have any issues as that is the only part remaing from the original pc apart from the case and power supply.

Edited by mattfromoz

Water-cooled cases tend to be large to accommodate the radiators and slow fans. My overclocked 780ti reports 39C at full load under Heaven and Valley. I summarised the build here... https://forum.step-project.com/topic/6086-build-log-water-cooled-caselabs-s8/

If I wanted to add a second card I would only have to modify a couple of the sections of tubing and I still have over 6m left out of the 10m I bought for the build.

The catch is that I keep hearing that Skyrim doesn't play nice with two cards and ENB and the only other games I am playing at the moment are older and barely push the single GPU above 50% load so I am sitting at the moment waiting for either the next TES or Fallout game and seeing if it benefits natively from SLI or not. If it does, I will have a good look at the 9xx cards (or whatever we are up to at that time).

I am currently running SR:LE (Vividian ENB) + REGS with my lowly GT 750m SLI. I don't have any noticeable problem except the known water.

Am I the only one surprised that you're taking a 15 fps hit going from ugrids 5 to 7 ? I mean, I'm running ugrids 9 on a single 780 (overclocked, performance must be about that of a Titan) with a homebrew, far heavier preset than Vividian (at least baseline Vividian), with fairly hardcore inis and a heavy modlist, and I drop under 30 fps fairly rarely (say like, 10 % of the time in wide open areas). (All of this @ 1080p, CPU and ram are somewhat ****ty too). With lower grass settings I could probably be above 30 pretty much all the time. I didn't check the fps hit I took going from ugrids 5 to 9, but I very much doubt it was that large, otherwise I think I'd be getting atrocious framerates with drops in the low twenties very often...

Edited by crime_syndicate