Sleeping and Fast Travel Dangers - Sands of Time

Bealdwine

Apparently Sharlikran helped considerably to fix this mod up sometime in May. Given his technical ability and reputation I would have a lot more confidence in this mod now. It still might be a huge beast as far as scripts, etc. go, but as I understand it they are no longer buggy. Based on that, it sounds like it might be safe to use as long as you do not have too many other mods competing for resources. At least my experience has been that any one mod like this can be fine but that many script heavy mods in combination will overwhelm your system. Or a rather long winded way of saying - I don't know....

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently Sharlikran helped considerably to fix this mod up sometime in May. Given his technical ability and reputation I would have a lot more confidence in this mod now. It still might be a huge beast as far as scripts' date=' etc. go, but as I understand it they are no longer buggy. Based on that, it sounds like it might be safe to use as long as you do not have too many other mods competing for resources. At least my experience has been that any one mod like this can be fine but that many script heavy mods in combination will overwhelm your system. Or a rather long winded way of saying - I don't know....[/quote']

ASIS increased spawns along with immersive creatures, immersive patrols and Skytest was too much for my system. I ditched Skytest and ASIS increased spawns and am running now:

DFB - Random Encounters - MCM Update

https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/32394/?

Its got a nice MCM menu to adjust much of the settings. The script related CTDs that I had with ASIS increased spawns have just about gone away. With this I have immersive creatures (lore friendly) and immersive patrols.

Things running very very stable so far with my hybrid Skyrim revisited/legendary + Skyre install.

Apparently Sharlikran helped considerably to fix this mod up sometime in May. Given his technical ability and reputation I would have a lot more confidence in this mod now. It still might be a huge beast as far as scripts' date=' etc. go' date=' but as I understand it they are no longer buggy. Based on that, it sounds like it might be safe to use as long as you do not have too many other mods competing for resources. At least my experience has been that any one mod like this can be fine but that many script heavy mods in combination will overwhelm your system. Or a rather long winded way of saying - I don't know....[/quote'']

ASIS increased spawns along with immersive creatures, immersive patrols and Skytest was too much for my system. I ditched Skytest and ASIS increased spawns and am running now:

DFB - Random Encounters - MCM Update

https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/32394/?

Its got a nice MCM menu to adjust much of the settings. The script related CTDs that I had with ASIS increased spawns have just about gone away. With this I have immersive creatures (lore friendly) and immersive patrols.

Things running very very stable so far with my hybrid Skyrim revisited/legendary + Skyre install.

I run ASIS, immersive creatures, immersive patrols, Skytest AND DFB - random encounters AND radiance AND extra encounters with no problems and since the new ENB 0.202 it fixed my infinite load screen issues with inconsequential NPCs and other mods adding NPCs to towns like immersive settlements (this reminds me a lot of better cities for oblivion, I hope it reaches the same scope on its completion.)  I don't use immersive NPCs since it was initially edited with SNIP and I am not sure if it's safe and also the NPC's long winded conversations gets old quick.  Unlike those in Falskaar, these new NPCs don't seem as integrated in to the world, and most just add conversation.  I think some have quests but most don't.  I prefer inconsequential NPC for it's simpleness. 

I love sands of time, and now that my game is stable and my new mobo arrives and I get everything running smoothly again, I will try to get it to work, in the past I had some script lag when used with SR, frostfall would intermittently bug out and say that it's taking too long for scripts to run. 

SOT really adds a lot of tension to the game, the message that come up like "you hear something up ahead" really keep you on your toes.  The recently version of the game mod adds ability to turn off aspects of the mod you're not interested in, like I turn off the fast travel scripts because I don't use fast travel anyway and I adjusted the reinforcement spawns to my liking.  I love the sleeping encounters, just turn off the animations which I had trouble with.  Works wonders with frostfall for immersion.  I toned down sleeping encounters in inns and the college which I thought was a little silly.  The author is testing traders in dungeons at the moment and I have these turned off because they sell ridiculous amounts of overpowered equipment and makes no sense (not sure how they carry all this stuff).  I also turn off dungeon adventurer encounters, because they don't seem to be doing much in-game, they just seem to relax in the area they are spawned and don't do much adventuring. 

SOT won't replace ASIS because ASIS adds spawns whilst SOT clone spawns which means NPCs with the same equipment and stats.  ASIS also does a lot of other amazing things like give Apocalypse spells, perks & potions to NPCs which makes for a more realistic and fair experience (i.e. the NPCs has the same advantages as you). 

From previous experimentation, you can use ASIS with SOT, but I would probably laid off the others.  It does make the early game much more difficult, but you can't tone that down as well, by selected the option that disallow difficult spawns to a certain user defined level. 

That's my 2 cents. 

Thanks for the recap.

You spend a lot f time saying which features you turned off and why - as someone who has not used it I am curious which features you leave on. I'd also love to hear your experience regarding game stability as you play with it and which mods you end up using.

BTW, having adventurers relaxing in dungeons seemed reasonable to me - realistically they probably would spend considerable time doing this and not having them moving about must reduce incompatibilities like stumbling into traps and dungeon denizens, etc. seems like it must make them much simpler to implement and cause fewer issues.

BTW, having adventurers relaxing in dungeons seemed reasonable to me - realistically they probably would spend considerable time doing this and not having them moving about must reduce incompatibilities like stumbling into traps and dungeon denizens, etc.  seems like it must make them much simpler to implement and cause fewer issues.

Wouldn't it be great though to play an evil character who lets other adventurers clear a dungeon, and then murder them just before they get to the whatever treasure the dungeon has to offer? :devil:

• 2 weeks later...

This mod has received an update to version 6.5 and I am going to test with a new game. Going to run with ASIS (perks, spells, potions), Immersive Creatures and Immersive Patrols.

I ditched DFB - Random Encounters - MCM Update (overkill since Sands of Time increases random encounters and I can play with settings in MCM menu) and OBIS Bandits (Author says OBIS is not compatible)

Will report back on stability.

I have to say I like what he has done with this mod. The encounters walking or in dungeons are well done.

This mod is as script heavy as it gets. To get around this the mod author has instituted some very creative workarounds, all which you can see in action through the extensive MCM menu.

He staggers the scripts, so they are not all running at once. You can see the main ones flip on and off at regular intervals so as a whole there ARE a lot of scripts running, but not all at once. You can also set yourself the delay time for much of the scripts. So you have the option of tuning it down as much as you like.

There is also a lore friendly toggle now which disables stuff that many of us would not find lore friendly like treasure chests from NPCs. All in all I like what I see so far.

I've played with the new versions now, the scripts are all very streamline now and there are no longer any errors in papyrus (I am a mod order based around (listing only the major mods) using SkyRe, ASIS, Skyrim Unleashed, Weapon Degradation), so its a good time to try it. The author has added "ASIS - like" spawns now too, which can be adjusted in game and this is going through testing now and has a long way to go before it covers everything like ASIS.

I for one, still use ASIS for extra spawns (for now) and SOT for sleeping encounters, walking encounters, ie. reinforcement NPCs during long combats and other random encounters.

As some of you know, Skyrim Unleash is very very fuzzy about other mods, as almost any thing that adds encounters, items, changes to level list will wreck its fine-tuned balance, and I've found no problems with using it with SOT.

Worth another look everyone.