Fear and Loathing in New Vegas - Feedback

Is the game CPU bound or GPU bound? I'm currently using a GTX 770 2GB, and was wondering if upgrading to a 970 would let me maintain 60fps more consistently in busier areas, considering it has twice as much VRAM. My CPU is an i7 4770K overclocked to 4.2GHZ, so I don't think that's the bottleneck.

Throwing hardware at a software problem doesn't always help. The engine just doesn't do well with lots of mods. You can upgrade your GPU and start using ENB/ENBoost with better results since it works better the more power you have. 

If you are upgrading don't do it for this game, do it for all the awesome games that just came out or are coming out. Those GTAV screens that came out yesterday for the XBone and PS4 look amazing, so imagine what the PC version is going to look like. Alien: Isolation is even scarier with better graphics because there is a point where the alien and the characters on the ship start to look real and it is just freaky. Then Wither 3, DA:I, and maybe a shooter like the next Battlefield are all better reasons to upgrade.

I think the game relies more on GPU power than on CPU power. Though I will tell you this after years of playing this game on PC. Most likely any performance issues you are having with the game are not caused by your hardware. The game just isn't as optimized as it could be. Unless you are running all the high resolution texture packs at max then I doubt you are running out of VRAM. Your CPU is obviously more than enough for the game and your GPU is fine. I am running a stock 4670 and a GTX 760 and I can maintain about 60 FPS throughout the entire game with little to no drops in performance. 

What I do is turn off the ingame Vsync and force the Adaptive Vsync along with tripple buffering through the control panel. This usually takes care of MOST of my performance issues with the game. 

If I was to upgrade, it wouldn't be for New Vegas lol. VRAM requirements for games are starting to go up, and I'm really waiting for cards with more than 4 gigs of it. I'm guessing the only way to really achieve consistent performance with mods would be to brute force it with SLI Titans or something? :P

Also, I'd like to make a few suggestions for the guide:

I Fought The Law - NCR Start

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/52785/?

Lets you help the NCR take down Eddie in NCRCF without having to gain the trust of the Powder Gangers and then betray them. Good for players who help Goodsprings to wipe out Cobb's posse.

Better Authority Glasses

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/49233/?

Waaaaay better looking Authority Glasses.

The Courier's Cache

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/49531/?

Funny as hell quest mod that adds in a bunch of new armors, guns and a player home.

Waster's Scarf

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/35597/?

Some very cool looking scarves.

Edited by Jax765

Any NVR3 news?  I've totally stopped modding until it's back up... then I'm going to catch up my mod list to where I left off a couple months ago with your updates and finally play the game.  The whole time I've just been waiting for NVR 3 to integrate properly into your mod list, but it's taking forever now that it's down from the Nexus.  :(

Can you provide a link?  I can't find it on the Nexus.  I only can find New Vegas Restoration (NVR - the first one).  I can't even find NVR3 in a search engine - it's like it never existed... Totally weird, like no one is talking about it on the internet?  What the hell am I missing?

Re-installing PN Extra Options apparently did the trick.

My FOMM mods must've all had a brain fart.

EDIT:

I deleted everything and I'm installing everything from scratch to make sure I have everything correctly installed and set-up. I stopped at the end of the first half of the UI section and ran the game, as the guide suggests. I tried to untick those options in aHUD and I couldn't.

So far the behaviour has been pretty consistent; disabling Project Nevada fixes the issue.

FWIW, I managed to resolve the problem by following these instructions.

BTW, have you tried this mod?

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/48511/?

Edited by rpsgc

Got my new test profile up for AWOP, but I am having a couple of discrepancies with my base install. KFE tells me that my water bottles break at completely random times, lol. I was beating the **** out of Michael Angelo yesterday and my bloodlust was ruined by KFE letting me know that my water bottle broke on retrieval. It's like I stopped the vault 13 canteen spam, only to have KFE replace it.

I also still have this weird floating polygon thing going on, I will provide screens later on.

Go to the templates directory in the Mopy directory. There should be a blank template for the bashed patch in there. Copy that, make a folder in Mod Organizer's Mods directory and drop the template in that. Then start of Wrye Bash again. Should now be able to rebuild the patch.