Leazers Open Lock 2_0 by Leazer425

Kuldebar

Leazers Open Lock 2_0 by Leazer425

Skyrim » Magic - Spells & enchantments

I like playing pure mages when I am not playing archer/melee type characters, this mod by Leazer allows me to do that and "stay "pure". Out of all the mods that allow for magical lockpicking, this is the only one that isn't a mess script-wise and is completely functional as well as skillfully integrated into the game. It blends in like it was there from day one, but you will need to incorporate it into your build via a bashed patch. (no surprise)

This mod is highly under-appreciated, but it does the job, and does it well. The one single downside: you can't cast the open lock spells underwater, but that is true for all magic spells in the game.

Adds Open Lock spells to the game. The tomes can be bought from vendors and found in random loot throughout Skyrim. Works with all mods and DLC.

I made this version seperate from the first version because I completely remade the mod from scratch using a different (much better) method. Now it should be compatible with all mods and DLC.

Posted Image

Edited by Kuldebar
  • +1 1

• 3 months later...

I use this one: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/13186/?  (the alteration only version)

I like the visual implementation much better than other unlock spells that I've tried, as well as the fact that the spell scales with your skill.  It looks like it's based on the same original script as Knock, so I assume they're probably very similar (I don't think I've compared them directly though).  I can't remember if I've tried Leazers or not.

I use this one: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/13186/?  (the alteration only version)

I like the visual implementation much better than other unlock spells that I've tried, as well as the fact that the spell scales with your skill.  It looks like it's based on the same original script as Knock, so I assume they're probably very similar (I don't think I've compared them directly though).  I can't remember if I've tried Leazers or not.

I added Unlock to my MO profile a bit ago, but haven't used it yet (restarts & testing have kept me at level < 12). This sounds more in tune with Morrowind (as I remember it) with various leveled spells.

I've been using Leazers Open Lock for a while now. Works perfectly and I enjoy the glowing animation around the door or chest when cast. Spell books are required for each level; novice, apprentice, etc. the higher level spell opens all lower level locks as well. A copy of the novice spell book is placed in Helgen next to the dead Mage for anyone doing the vanilla start.

A copy of the novice spell book is placed in Helgen next to the dead Mage for anyone doing the vanilla start.

Wait, you mean it's next to the dead mage who is locked inside a cage?  I suppose he must have been a pretty bad mage. ::P: 

@ Teabag: I used Live Another Life to start as a Companion (thanks for that suggestion), very cool option btw. I picked up the Novice tome from Farengar and promptly tried it out, works great, perfect option for the Battle Mage on the go (need to take off my gauntlets with SSR, who has time for that? Oh, yeah my Nightblade character on the other profile. Gotta love haivng options). 

>> ninja'd, but nice observation Kryptopyr, I missed that (I guess the mage did too).

Edited by redirishlord

• 2 weeks later...

I switched over to this shortly after posting, realizing that separate spells were likely the safest.  However, while troubleshooting my setup I noticed that this modifies the same script as Even Better Quest Objectives (qf_mgritual05_000d0755).

• +1 1

Luckily I'm not an Even Better Quest Objectives kid, but good looking out that's probably a concern for most STEP users.

I'm with you. Having played almost every quest multiple times. I realised EBQO was taking up a bunch of esps and I never even read the objectives. Nowadays I use a mod that cuts down a lot of the dialogue in the responses (whilst still being immersive) simply to keep things flowing.

I didn't see Kryptopyr's quote on the dead mage previously. Nice pick up! Darwin's theory in action!

I looked at that script again and saw that it's a .psc file, and so is the one from EBQO that it overwrites.  MO doesn't say anything about conflicting .pex files; does that mean these are safe to use together? 

Edited by Muladhara86

A .psc file without a corresponding .pex implies that the script was either bundled in the mod by mistake, or the script just wasn't compiled by mistake. I'm thinking the former for this mod, there seems to be no need for it to modify the MGRitual05 quest.

And yes, Lock Overhaul does allow you to unlock locks with magic. It also includes it's own "Open Locks" spell too, as a bonus.

So, an alteration spell that acts as your lockpick, but still affects/is effected by lockpicking skill? That plus the other options sounds interesting.

I do like the nostalgia aspect of the open novice/apprentice/etc lock spells, it reminds me of Morrowind days.