A Real Explorer's Guide to Skyrim

Not the best thread to discuss this...but:

OK, so you are running Skyrim without Sheson's fix and getting CTD's? You have the SKSE alpha but I didn't see anything where you configured it...

I think you should either configure the SKSE or go back to SSME, properly installed.

Given that this pertains to an earlier issue I posted about with REGS and REGS mod related patches, I figured this was the best place to try and address my problems.  I thought I hat SKSE configured correctly

This is my SKSE.ini:

[General]
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

[Display]
iTintTextureResolution=2048

@laighean: Are you using ModOrganizer? You don't ever need to delete your Steam install if you are. If you aren't and you haven't actually followed the STEP guide or plan to, I can suggest you a couple of things:

1. Install ModOrganizer.

2. Follow the tutorials that come with it and read the guide.

3. Install the SKSE scipts through MO.

4. Re-install all the mods you currently use which use an esp, forget about textures and meshes for now.

5. Use BOSS/LOOT to sort out your load order.

6. Check the  :!: button on the top right corner for potential conflitcs.

I am using ModOrganizer.  I originally was using the Skyrim Revisted installation to the letter, then I switched to SR:LE and started a new game.  Things were running fine, I found out about REGS and decided to add it in.  I followed all the instructions in both install guides, I installed all the SKSE related material as described in the guides, and I always use BOSS, several posts back I put in my BOSS log load order.

I think it was about losing 10 frames for me. In Whiterun I usually get 30-34 FPS, with DoW it was 20-24.

But for me it wasn't the FPS as much as the clutter mess from stuff getting knocked about by NPC's. That one exit from the Bannered Mare was especially bad from the tables laden with food but even that wasn't as bad as all the crab legs and ale and mead bottles in the vendor stalls.

I just use Dawn of Windhelm now, I cut Riften too.

I thought Dawn of Whiterun 1.4 turned many of the items on the Bannered Mare porch tables into static items so they will no longer havoc (nor can you take them) - at least if I remember right...

BTW, I use it and have no noticeable issues.  Items from the liquor stall sometimes sprawl on the ground but I would rather have all the extra stuff in Whiterun than drop this mod.

Edited by statmonster

In the Explorers Guide page it mentions that More Immersive Dawnguard Entrance mod should load below the Oblivion Gates mod in STEP. By below I assume this means below in the Mod Organizer GUI, so it would have a larger mod index and load after Oblivion Gates, right? Otherwise Fort Dawnguard and Daysprings Canyon aren't moved.

I just wanted to stop by and thank you for a great guide. After 3 months of playing modded Skyrim my load order was getting ridiculous with mods that I never used or really needed. eg. spells I never used, potion overhauls (i don't even use potions!), followers (never use) and things like auto-unequip and locational damage plus armors I've never worn, etc.

Well I had a big clean out and they are all gone. What's left is basically STEP REGS. My mods are aesthetically pleasing with new villages and quests. My Skyrim looks fantastic but is a dangerous place.

So thanks CJ (&co) for the guide. I really appreciate it.

A few questions:

Moon and Star: "If you have the Skyrim Distance Overhaul (SDO) mod, place this mod before it in Mod Organizer. You will experience pop-in for some of the additions made by Moon and Star, but at least you won't get blue textures on the LOD."

There are too many pronouns in the previous sentence.  Which mod goes before which mod?  Do you mean

"If you have the Skyrim Distance Overhaul (SDO) mod, place SDO before MAS in Mod Organizer. You will experience pop-in for some of the additions made by Moon and Star, but at least you won't get blue textures on the LOD."

or

""If you have the Skyrim Distance Overhaul (SDO) mod, place MAS before SDO in Mod Organizer. You will experience pop-in for some of the additions made by Moon and Star, but at least you won't get blue textures on the LOD."?

Dawn of Riften 1.1 - are you planning to upgrade to this?  A couple of bug fixes and improvements buts it seems a little less interesting without the ladders and hatches for thieving.

The SRLE compatibility patch will need updating now that it uses BFT instead of Touring Carriages.

P.S. - great mod pack, love it.

? Oblivion Realm Series.

Should I wait until I complete part 1 (Gates of Solitude) before downloading part 2 (Morthal Pain)?

I'm loathe to read up on it in case it contains spoilers.

Edit* I just saw that their is a ChaptersLinker esp. I imagine this means I can activate both at the same time and they will play in order?

? Undeath. Will this work fine with Immersive College of Winterhold?

Thanks.

Edited by Teabag86

I'm curious if anyone has tried Rochester World Modder Resource? The mod author has spent 3 years developing this mod. But I don't think there are any associated quests. But not sure?

p.s. I know it is listed as a modder resource but I believe this is because the mod author recently finished with the mod and has donated it to the community.

just wanted to say thanks.

I've been using ETaC for some time now and think it's possibly my favourite addition to Skyrim. 

Anyway... someone linked to the REGS wiki page on reddit recently, I followed the link and found practically a hallowed treasure trove of great mods.

Thanks for the work putting this together, but especially so for the patches. Fixing so much - especially those navmesh deletions across multiple mods - can't have been fun!

Can't wait to see what else is added :)

REGS is amazing. I use this with MMO and it works fantastically.

A quick suggestion:

Undeath has compatability issues with many mods that change spells (such as SkyRe) While this mod doesn't cover Overhauls and Gameplay enhancements, a note would be very helpful :)

? Oblivion Realm Series.

Edit* I just saw that their is a ChaptersLinker esp. I imagine this means I can activate both at the same time and they will play in order?

? Undeath. Will this work fine with Immersive College of Winterhold?

Yes to both questions. However there might be the odd clipping items in the midden. Not really a big issue though.

I'm curious if anyone has tried Rochester World Modder Resource? The mod author has spent 3 years developing this mod. But I don't think there are any associated quests. But not sure?

p.s. I know it is listed as a modder resource but I believe this is because the mod author recently finished with the mod and has donated it to the community.

I actually tried that, seeing as the mod was on my radar during development, but damn did it feel like an empty place. Emptier that the Falksaar worldspace. D:

In the Explorers Guide page it mentions that More Immersive Dawnguard Entrance mod should load below the Oblivion Gates mod in STEP. By below I assume this means below in the Mod Organizer GUI, so it would have a larger mod index and load after Oblivion Gates, right? Otherwise Fort Dawnguard and Daysprings Canyon aren't moved.

I actually meant the load order. Going to fix that, thanks for pointing it out.

Moon and Star

I meant the second option. You're right tho, the phrasing of that instruction is pretty bad. D:

Dawn of Riften 1.1 - are you planning to upgrade to this?  A couple of bug fixes and improvements buts it seems a little less interesting without the ladders and hatches for thieving.

I hadn't had the time to check out the update, and am leaving the old version listed until I can update the riften navmesh patch. :|

REGS is amazing. I use this with MMO and it works fantastically.

A quick suggestion:

Undeath has compatability issues with many mods that change spells (such as SkyRe) While this mod doesn't cover Overhauls and Gameplay enhancements, a note would be very helpful :)

Thanks for the suggestion, but actually such a note is already there:

Posted Image

Edited by CJ2311

Better city entrances is listed as saying the REGS version is only for Touring Carriages, am I understanding this correctly?  I use most of REGS with Better Fast Travel so should I use the REGS version of Better City Entrances or should I use the all in one installer or does it matter without Touring Carriages?

Thanks.

Better city entrances is listed as saying the REGS version is only for Touring Carriages, am I understanding this correctly?

Yes, you are understanding that correctly. That's because the REGS version was created a while ago, mainly to ensure compatibility with Touring Carriages (back when I still bothered with that), and another mod which is not part of REGS any longer. D:So yeah, just use the normal all-in-one version to get the mod as it was intended to look.