A Real Explorer's Guide to Skyrim

I'm curious, have started your playthrough yet, cstarkey? You've said you've tested for stability but I understand you have set up a STEP/REGS/MMO profile? That's a lot of mods already and you seem keen to keep adding more and more, which is perfectly fine of course, but I'm curious to know when you'll consider you're good to go and play.  :lol:

LOL.  I swear I'm more addicted to modding than I am to playing the game.  There's just soooo many great mods to choose from I'm like a kid in a candy store.  It's not just the new mods though...these damn mods keep updating, causing me to spend even more time putting stuff together, at which point there's usually another new mod that catches my eye.  I remember the good feeling a mod update used to give me.  Now I have too many so it's just like "Ugh" every time I see one.   ::D:

And now Apollodown is dropping teasers about his "big" mod he's got in the works?  I should just stick to BF4.  :turned:

Seriously though, last night I finish getting all of the SRLE/REGS/MMO mods put together, I just need to get the new patches CJ put up and run my skyprocs and I'm good to go.  I spent a few hours using alt start and using Vurts method (tgm  and player.set av speedmult) and the convenient horses script response option and I'm getting 50-75 on my scripts and, more importantly, not one single ctd, and I went everywhere on the map.  

This new markarth mod, however, looks great for that area of the world so I was just wondering if anyone had actually played it yet.  Those Steam forums are sort of a joke.  I feel like everyone is just yelling random stuff, not much of it constructive or informative.  

Here are two mods which may be considered to add to the pack, especially the one about bridge, never realized there is so much space on/under the bridge.

Windhelm Bridge Overhaul 

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/50243/?

Windhelm Exterior Altered

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/50977/?

I agree those mods look really good. The Bridge Overhaul mod is particularly good and is exactly how people used to trade in medieval Europe. It also makes perfect sense as Windheld's walls really limit the interior space, so of course they would spread out onto the closest available land, er bridge. But as dastrokes points out it will clash with better city entrances. Altough from memory they add structures above the bridge, so it could be ok. I think I'll test this one out tonight. Thanks for the heads up.

Before CJ advised us otherwise I thought that it was best just to unpack a bsa, not only for convenience and speed but also so it was easier to optimize.  Now that he says to keep 3dnpc and etac bsas I can't find an option in MO to set it so it doesn't automatically unpack them when I install a mod.  Does anybody know how I can change it back so that it asks every time so I can have some control over it again?

Thanks.

Before CJ advised us otherwise I thought that it was best just to unpack a bsa, not only for convenience and speed but also so it was easier to optimize.  Now that he says to keep 3dnpc and etac bsas I can't find an option in MO to set it so it doesn't automatically unpack them when I install a mod.  Does anybody know how I can change it back so that it asks every time so I can have some control over it again?

Thanks.

Reset Dialogues in the Settings.

That is true for many, but not all, subrecords of the LCTN records. There are also other record types with location in the name (e.g., XLCN) that are not forwarded, so some care must be used.

Oh yeah, I should have specified only certain subrecords of LCTN.  What other record types, if any, have anything auto-forwarded? Edit:  Nevermind, I found the list.  Thanks!

The 2 mods that I was thinking of when I wrote that are Expanded Towns and Cities (which will always use the custom meshes if you unpack the bsa over the loose files) and Interesting NPCs (which will use old voices and scripts that are in the BSA). But there might be others, I don't really know.

You know, this is something I never even considered...I just extract bsa's by default because it is easier to manage file conflicts.  I am going to have to start checking for loose files before I go straight to extracting BSA's.  :(

If you take out any loose files, then extract the bsa, then overwrite with the pre-extract loose files, would that get you pretty much the same result?

Edited by noobzor

Oh yeah, I should have specified only certain subrecords of LCTN.  What other record types, if any, have anything auto-forwarded? Edit:  Nevermind, I found the list.  Thanks!

You know, this is something I never even considered...I just extract bsa's by default because it is easier to manage file conflicts.  I am going to have to start checking for loose files before I go straight to extracting BSA's.  :(

If you take out any loose files, then extract the bsa, then overwrite with the pre-extract loose files, would that get you pretty much the same result?

I'm wondering about the first part.  Is a good rule to follow that if it has loose files and a bsa the author's intention was to have the loose files overwrite the bsa and so then we shouldn't extract the bsa?  If there is only a bsa and an esp then we should still be safe to simply extract the bsa.  Is this correct?

If noobzor is right about the second part, however, that would be great since it would be so much easier to optimize the mod if need be.

I'm with Teabag, and, judging by the lack of endorsements, we might be the only two who thinks Nesbit's TPOS series is really, really good.  Especially whiterun and the new dawnstar, which is a huge addition for being such a small add on.

I agree with you. I must say his tpos Solitude is quite good as well. I had removed it to save esp space (i must learn how to merge) but Solitude seemed a little barren without it. In fact my Bannered Mare and Riverwood are busier than Solitude come to think of it. So I've reenabled tpos Solitude.

While we are talking about Nesbit he has pumped out a dozen mods in a month! He listens to feedback and is constantly improving his mods and skills. Currently they are small but mostly well thought out. His goal is to connect all his mods building social relationships across Skyrim. Worth taking a look.

You guys just need to go check out the BSA extraction thread.

Is this the one you are referring to?  https://forum.step-project.com/topic/5033-ramifications-of-bsa-extraction-in-mod-organizer/

@Teabag  I wasn't sure how well his solitude would work with REGS so I decided to leave it out.  I was using complete solitude until I found this so I wasn't sure about adding tpos solitude.  In Riverwood I had people sitting in midair with ETAC and TPOS Riverwood so I had to take that one out also.  I'm using his Whiterun, Dawnstar, bandits, sons and warriors of whiterun.

@cstarkey I didn't notice any conflict with tpos Solitude. I'll check it out more closely tonight. The mod adds tables, clutter and 9 NPC's around the outside of the Winking Skeever area and Temple. REGS is mostly Solitude exterior plus some great shops near the Hall of the Dead.

I dont use tpos Riverwood. My Riverwood looks like the capital of Tamriel. I don't need any new NPC's there. tpos Winterhold aka Abject Poverty will completely clash with ETaC so that is out as well. I tried Bandits but with esp space at a premium I think this is covered well enough with Immersive Patrols.

I use tpos Whiterun merged (Warriors, Coin and People), I really like this simple mod(s), tpos Dawnstar - just updated today with building interiors and now tpos Solitude (again). 

@Teabag86  I was able to merge all of his mods together no problem so I didn't even bother getting his whiterun merged file.  I'm not using the companions (although I like the idea there's just too many of them, especially with all of the other stray npcs I've got walking around my game).  I assumed abject poverty would clash with this and etac as well so I've been leaving that one out also.  I'll have to check out the solitude one again though if it works with REGS.  

If you haven't tried making a merged patch yet just use this:  https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/37981/?

It really couldn't be more simple with that tool.  A little too simple, if you ask me.  I've certainly let myself get carried away with it.   :woot: