Smart Souls (by shadeMe)

TechAngel85

Can anyone confirm behavior after the latest Unofficial patch without Acquisitive Soul Gems and Enhanced Projectile Soul Trap?

Perhaps:

• an explanation of the original problem,
  • what these two mods did to fix the problem, and
  • how USKP + Smart Souls is now a viable and preferred option?

1. There's actually three original problems. The first is that the Soul Trap spell did not actually show an actual projectile, making it really hard to tell whether you aimed the spell right. This problem was due to the spell using Target Actor instead of Projectile for the type (the former not showing the projectile for some reason). The second is that the hit effect mesh for the Soul Trap spell is broken, also making it hard to tell whether you aimed the spell right. The third problem is that trapped souls can fill up gems that have a higher value than the soul is actually worth (eg: Petty going in Grand, Black soul gems carrying non-Black souls). The last one, however, is debatable as to if it's a intentional choice or as a bug.

2. ASG fixed the third issue with a new soul trapping mechanic, but that required modifying each effect that Soul Trapped to support it. EPSG modified ASG's fixes to include fixes for the first two problems, including a fixed mesh for the Soul Trap projectile.

3. The USKP includes EPSG's fixes by default, so the latter mod is no longer needed. Additionally, due to the game not being updated anymore, Smart Souls is a viable option since it does the same as ASG and does NOT require any ESP modifications to work.

• 1 month later...

There are two additional bugs involving soul gems that I believe were addressed by ASG, and I'm curious if anyone knows whether Smart Souls (or USKP) also fixes them.

1. Filled soul gems dropped on the ground or placed in a container can lose their charge.  [uSKP does fix this]

2. Filling an empty soul gem does not change its price (so if you try to sell a gem you filled yourself, the merchant will still value it as if it is empty).

I did some searching, but I couldn't find an answer to this. Does anyone here know?

• 1 month later...

Bug: The file Smart Souls.ini is not created when launched through Mod Organizer, a now standardized management tool.

Cause: SKSE plugins seemingly lack the ability to create files within the SKSE/ folder when launched within the virtualized folder structure. The exact reasoning is unknown to me.

Proposed Solution: Create the file by hand

• While in Mod Organizer, right-click the Smart Souls mod on the left-hand side
  • Select the menu option Open in explorer
  • Within the new window, navigate into the SKSE\Plugins folder
  • Right-click within the folder and select the menu option New > Text Document
  • Name the file Smart Souls.ini (make sure you are showing File Extensions - click here to see how)
  • Open the new file and copy the below contents, pasting them into the file

[General]
    ForceSoulSoulGemSizeMatch=1
    LimitBlackGemsToBlackSouls=1
    [Notifications]
    ShowCapturedSoulQuality=1
    ShowEscapedSoulQuality=1
  • Save and close the file

• 5 months later...

Now that I think about it... the only thing about not adding it in manually to begin with would be users forgetting to move it into Smart Souls after they've started playing, since you'd have to run the game before it is created. This will lead to support questions, "what do I do with this file in overwrite?" I think I'll leave the instructions as is and simply make a notice about it being created automatically.

• 7 months later...

Does anyone know what are the differences between this and Acquisive Soul Gems? The author of the latter says his mod has more features, even though I cannot imagine what those might be.

Since ASG is no longer supported by STEP, and bluedanieru is very receptive and active, I would suggest asking him, or maybe looking through the comments.

Also see this recent thread.