Safety Load (by: kapaer)

Rune11

I qasmoked and just kinda... looted all the containers to quickly get a massive amount of different items, went back out to world and trotted around a bit... crafted, menu'ed, saved, reloaded, meh. Nothin'. It's almost irritating not being ABLE to crash when trying to reproduce, haha.

I guess I just need to load up and do a solid chunk of playthrough instead of tests in isolation.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I qasmoked and just kinda... looted all the containers to quickly get a massive amount of different items, went back out to world and trotted around a bit... crafted, menu'ed, saved, reloaded, meh. Nothin'. It's almost irritating not being ABLE to crash when trying to reproduce, haha.

I guess I just need to load up and do a solid chunk of playthrough instead of tests in isolation.

Is your game heavily modded? Did you get ILS or in game freezes before using Safety Load?

Yes to heavily modded. Some profiles more than others, but I don't think I have any that have under 90 active plugins. Yes to ILS issues - in some profiles. When I initially tried it out, I went back to a heavy profile that I had abandoned as unstable (part of the problem I am having with this in general is that those most likely to be excited about using this seem most likely to have a large and varied mod list) and tried out some of the places it would inevitably hang. Exteriors were common, but I had often used the Bannered Mare for testing it because of all the NPCs in town that went in, as well as Solitude Docks. I had another I couldn't get to Dawnstar in.

Because of Josh talking about his screenshot profile, I also loaded one that I was testing 'pretties' on, that was ...problematic but not as predictably so, and made the run along the main roads, saved in exteriors and reloaded, in and out of buildings etc. The one I just tried it on is a trimmed version of the first, a winter one for my nord that includes CoT Winter, Frostfall, W&C, the new Seasons of Skyrim Winter, Hunterborn, blah blah. This is the trimmed version, ha. I haven't messed with ugrids at all.

The profile with the most time played with this has gone to level 10 starting in the orc fortress, not as heavy - 100 active. That is light for me, which could be embarrassing, I guess. It has gotten one random CTD in the wilderness... I can't say if it is just one of those weird things, a script issue, cranky game, or a 'new' CTD. I know that going in and out of Markarth was much easier for me than the last go I gave it - but I do not have the last one to load up. So... the one that has the most time on it may not be the best example, because it was cleaner and trimmer than the others, and so less prone to issues. The ones that had issues that WERE resolved by this, I haven't gone back to seriously play on because I feel they were inherently unstable regardless.

I started all this game modding over to go with an SR semi-legendary + extras, but am kind of thinking I need to suck it up and do a full STEP profile if only for easier comparisons in testing.

If you have thousands of alchemy ingredients then you could have issues, not just the weight that matters. Each item has to carry with it a bunch of records for effects or stats. All that in your inventory while going in and out of menus could be bad. I will say one thing though, I've had rock solid performance indoors, dungeons, caves, castles, and houses/inns. All of them are really good, makes clearing out a couple dungeons without worrying about ILS kinda fun again.

Yes to heavily modded. Some profiles more than others, but I don't think I have any that have under 90 active plugins. Yes to ILS issues - in some profiles. When I initially tried it out, I went back to a heavy profile that I had abandoned as unstable (part of the problem I am having with this in general is that those most likely to be excited about using this seem most likely to have a large and varied mod list) and tried out some of the places it would inevitably hang. Exteriors were common, but I had often used the Bannered Mare for testing it because of all the NPCs in town that went in, as well as Solitude Docks. I had another I couldn't get to Dawnstar in.

Because of Josh talking about his screenshot profile, I also loaded one that I was testing 'pretties' on, that was ...problematic but not as predictably so, and made the run along the main roads, saved in exteriors and reloaded, in and out of buildings etc. The one I just tried it on is a trimmed version of the first, a winter one for my nord that includes CoT Winter, Frostfall, W&C, the new Seasons of Skyrim Winter, Hunterborn, blah blah. This is the trimmed version, ha. I haven't messed with ugrids at all.

The profile with the most time played with this has gone to level 10 starting in the orc fortress, not as heavy - 100 active. That is light for me, which could be embarrassing, I guess. It has gotten one random CTD in the wilderness... I can't say if it is just one of those weird things, a script issue, cranky game, or a 'new' CTD. I know that going in and out of Markarth was much easier for me than the last go I gave it - but I do not have the last one to load up. So... the one that has the most time on it may not be the best example, because it was cleaner and trimmer than the others, and so less prone to issues. The ones that had issues that WERE resolved by this, I haven't gone back to seriously play on because I feel they were inherently unstable regardless.

I started all this game modding over to go with an SR semi-legendary + extras, but am kind of thinking I need to suck it up and do a full STEP profile if only for easier comparisons in testing.

If you have thousands of alchemy ingredients then you could have issues, not just the weight that matters. Each item has to carry with it a bunch of records for effects or stats. All that in your inventory while going in and out of menus could be bad. I will say one thing though, I've had rock solid performance indoors, dungeons, caves, castles, and houses/inns. All of them are really good, makes clearing out a couple dungeons without worrying about ILS kinda fun again.

Interesting, both! (I put the first quote in spoiler tags to preserve page space)

I am holding my testing of this for now anyway, as I suspect I may have a faulty RAM in my machine :O I want to sort that out first. For now, I am still getting CTDs and freezes in my game with this mod enabled, and I wasn't before.

So I just upgraded from 7870 Tahiti LE 2GB to 7970 Tahiti Pro 3GB.

Besides the expected performance boost, I also tested Safety Load - and got CTD within a few minutes. So I decided to recheck my mod list, and disabled the one potentially problematic mod - SKSE Elys' Meminfo - and I haven't had any more CTDs. This has only been after playing for an hour, I'll update later once I have a few more hours of play. For now, it looks like there was some conflict between the 2 causing CTD, or some error that made ENB cause the CTD (I believe this was implemented to prevent being stuck if the game hung).

Using ENBoost with a 4GB card works really well, it is designed to work better and better the more VRAM you have. I think Safety Load is working really well. For most of us with 2gb cards, you just crash out from RAM limits and the limits of ENBoost's power, but ILS is gone. We now have one problem dealt with and just have to manage the RAM limit.

Using ENBoost with a 4GB card works really well' date=' it is designed to work better and better the more VRAM you have. I think Safety Load is working really well. For most of us with 2gb cards, you just crash out from RAM limits and the limits of ENBoost's power, but ILS is gone. We now have one problem dealt with and just have to manage the RAM limit.[/quote']

From reading every post in here this mod is causing CTDs; not RAM limits. RAM limits have been very well known for a while now. Users are reporting no CTDs without this mod but ILS. Installing this mods is reversing this. No ILS but now they suddenly have CTDs. I have 1GB of RAM and hit that limit very quickly; however, have never CTD due to RAM. My game is very stable right now so if I were to install this and start getting CTDs, that would tell me without a doubt that this mod is the cause of the CTDs and that is what I'm seeing reported here more often than "this mod is working great". This mod will not make it into testing until I see a lot more reporting that no issues are being caused. Anytime you have mods like this that do injection the risk for issues is far greater.

For those of you that aren't getting any issues with this mod, that's is wonderful so feel free to keep using it. It simply will not be in STEP until it's far more stable.