Rune11

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Don't want to be the one who necros a thread and gets flamed - but nonetheless I just wanted to add my experience.

I just did a full fresh install of Skyrim,  with STEP 2.2.8, using STEP Extended. Latest drivers, cleaned all the files with TES5Edit that needed cleaning. Load order is fine, etc...AKA I'm pretty sure I've double, and triple checked everything that might cause a lockup, and I couldn't find an issue. 

But as I started to play a completely fresh save, I my whole game would lockup randomly, mostly near whiterun. The sound would continue normally, but I'd get no reaction from any keyboard controls, nor could I Ctrl+Alt tab out. I had to force close the process through task manager.

Looked around for others who had this issue, didn't find a solution until I found this mod. Tried it out as a hail Mary and I've been able to get about 2 full hours of game play so far without a lockup. Started (yet another) fresh save file.

I have installed the memory patch FYI.

I am still using it... Don't know why, but if it ain't broke don't fix it I say!  Game has been super stable with Safety Load, SSME and ENBoost.

I've over 350 (non-graphically mods) running I think, merging many of the mods together.  The last instability was caused by Enhanced Blood Textures, which simply overloads the scripting engine and both Simple Multiple Follower and Frostfall with sent out messages that the script engine is too slow.  Get rid of it and everything is fine again.  It works just not with a million other scripts running with it.

Miss it though, great mod, love the visceral affect it game to battles.

Well, SafetyLoad was the most effective tool for reducing the occurrence "stuck load screens" but a growing number of reports concerned frequent CTD's associated with game menu, looting or inventory related actions when using SkyUI.

The mod author posted on the issue and last I had read it was never resolved only confirmed as an outstanding issue. Work and discussion on SafetyLoad largely declined after the introduction of the Sheson Memory Patch which essentially made SafetyLoad obsolete, if not simply redundant. 

I have never had ILS issue since dropping SafetyLoad (as Sheson initially recommended from day one) and using properly configured SSME and properly configured ENBlocal.ini...

Not advocating its use as I can't objectively confirm that this mod is doing anything, but I have never encountered these CTDs associated with this mod.  I suspect these menu CTD is due to the memory issue that was solved by Sheson rather than this mod, as I was getting those CTD before Safety Load (nor did Safety Load helped with this issue) as I scroll in inventory menus.  

Edited by Garfink

I got CTDs with this mod like twice but then it never happened again. I still have it in my load order, like I said above, haha. I feel it should be used as a 'last resort' if Memory Patch 3.0 and ENBoost still don't work. 

That's what made the issue so hard to nail down, not everyone had the identified SafetyLoad/SkyUI Inventory/Menu related CTD's...the problem was just getting some much needed collaborative efforts (Boris was going to look into it) to fix when Sheson's Patch crashed onto the scene. Understandably, this was a game changer.

It eliminated my stuck loading issues, but unfortunately I crashed a lot when looting and doing merchant trades. I even stopped using SkyUI for a while...but I found that unbearable, TBH.

Of course, we were all so conditioned to hit save before any and every action in those "bad" old Pre-Sheson days...