Riften HQ textures (by Erik)

z929669

I don't like the Serious HD textures at all.

For me it's clear that almost none of the textures are a great improvement over vanilla ones, and ones that appeal to me more (like Riften HQ in some screenshots) vary in style so might not be suitable for STEP.

Even SRO didn't look so great in one or two of those comparisons.

EDIT: just found that there are two more posts with textures comparisons. Serious HD isn't too bad in them, so I guess it's a mix of all.

I can't say that the Riften textures of any of the large mods was very impressive to me. I'm not wild about the vanilla wood-related textures, but none of the others are uniformly much improvement and sometimes are noticeably worse. I looked at Texture Pack Combiner and saw that Cestral chose SRO for almost all the architectural textures in Riften, Riften HQ for the almost all of the wood and rope textures, and Langleys Wood Metal and Stone Textures Workshop for the small set of roof and stone textures in Riften. In a future version of STEP when it will be more straightforward to mix textures from multiple packages we might get a reasonably good set of textures for Riften. Since we can only choose one now, Serious HD seems reasonable to me since both Riften HQ and Skyrim HD have at least a few textures that seem strikingly bad and I didn't see much in Serious HD that seemed that bad.

I can't say that the Riften textures of any of the large mods was very impressive to me. I'm not wild about the vanilla wood-related textures' date=' but none of the others are uniformly much improvement and sometimes are noticeably worse. I looked at Texture Pack Combiner and saw that Cestral chose SRO for almost all the architectural textures in Riften, Riften HQ for the almost all of the wood and rope textures, and Langleys Wood Metal and Stone Textures Workshop for the small set of roof and stone textures in Riften. In a future version of STEP when it will be more straightforward to mix textures from multiple packages we might get a reasonably good set of textures for Riften. Since we can only choose one now, Serious HD seems reasonable to me since both Riften HQ and Skyrim HD have at least a few textures that seem strikingly bad and I didn't see much in Serious HD that seemed that bad.[/quote']

A batch file of select textures may or may not pop up soon... :whistling:

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We've looked at this way before and we didn't like it.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Maybe its better if you say why you don't like it...

Compared to the other texture-packs out their, this one clearly represent the vanilla look of riften the best, and as far as I can tell the quality of the texture itself is very good. It have not been up-scaled or added excessive amount of contrast to make it look sharper. So what is it?

Compared to the other texture-packs out their, this one clearly represent the vanilla look of riften the best, and as far as I can tell the quality of the texture itself is very good. It have not been up-scaled or added excessive amount of contrast to make it look sharper. So what is it?

Not sure however I believe we are currently using Riften texture from SeriousHD.

Well to be honest I would have closed this thread and merged it with the existing or... something. Next time do a search for Riften using the advanced search please.

Thread: Link

To do an advanced search click the magnifying glass at the top bar that says "FIND POSTS" say advaced search and then type in Riften after selecting the "search titles only" option.

I must say that these comparison shots in this tread had a really bad lightning, you can see that the planks of the vanilla texture is burned out. So my opinion is that if you are going to compare texture mods you should rather have no enb/light mod or at least have one that looks good with the vanilla texture. Because if people starts making texture mods for wrongly configured ENB it will not bled well with the vanilla and all other texture mods, we that make textures try to make them so they will look good in vanilla and resemble the same amount of reflection as vanilla, and that's how it should be. I do appreciate that he took all this time to compare them tho.

I have made changes to some of the normal maps in my Riften HQ texture, so it should be better than it was. It should feel less flat now https://postimg.org/image/meipby06l/full/.

Note that I use Climates of Tameriell in this screenshot (but no ENB).

On skyrim nexus I also have picture of all my textures (without spec, normal and alpha), just click on the picture of the planks in the main post, or follow this link. They do ofc look better ingame as they also are intended, but it will give people the opportunity to look at the textures in detail before downloading.