Real Clouds by Soolie

spoonypirate

Nexus link

Currently at version 1.01. The mod creates 3d volumetric-like clouds that react to weather. You can even run/fly through them, and they'll act like a thick fog.

There is an initial (5 minutes or so) period of lag when enabling this mod, which is letting the scripts settle in and do their work. Comments by the author state he's working on DLC and custom worldspace support, as well as trying to minimize or remove the previously mentioned lag.

Posted Image

Clouds are awesome. It's weird that I was thining of making actual 3D clouds just before this mod came out, but I saw the amount of cloud meshes and quickly ran away. ;)

I think this mod just shoves a load of 2D ones together right within two meshes? What about the clipping? I heard that was a bit of a problem. I hate z-fighting with a vengeance like so many.

Okay, I'll admit that there are very few mods that really impress me but looking through the shots on the author's page from the users, this mod has done just that. It appears to add an atmosphere that was missing from the game and it looks absolutely stunning! I did notice one clipping issue in one shot. I'm curious if this is a common occurrence or just a once in a great while type of issue. I'm also curious as to how it "feels" in-game compared to the shots provided. This mod is one that will require in-game testing and not just screenshots.

I checked this mod in game and noticed a few quite bad issues. The clouds are way too low, it's very unrealistic. They all move in different directions are the same time, again very unrealistic. All the objects that are in front of the clouds have thick white outline around them, it looks really bad. And, lastly, there is some bad clipping/flickering, similar to distant fog z-fighting, it looks like overlaying cloud clusters are fighting which one should be displayed at the given moment.

The clouds look absolutely stunning in game though. If the author finds a way to solve all the above issues I'm definitely going to use this mod, but for now it's a no from me.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I checked this mod in game and noticed a few quite bad issues. The clouds are way too low, it's very unrealistic. They all move in different directions are the same time, again very unrealistic. All the objects that are in front of the clouds have thick white outline around them, it looks really bad. And, lastly, there is some bad clipping/flickering, similar to distant fog z-fighting, it looks like overlaying cloud clusters are fighting which one should be displayed at the given moment.

The clouds look absolutely stunning in game though. If the author finds a way to solve all the above issues I'm definitely going to use this mod, but for now it's a no from me.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for your review. Other have reported similar. I hope the author is diligent and irons out these issues because the potential for this mod is great.

• 4 weeks later...

Still need to wait for updates, as it is you don't get clear skies ever and there are still small glitches that is immersion breaking, like I get vertical lines between "clouds" occasionally that is very obvious just walking around (Not looking specifically for it.).  

As for the flickering, I think that its very minor and doesn't occur all the time and only very intermittently and weighting the benefits of the mod, its acceptable.  (as I am not sure if this can actually be fixed.)

The thick white outlines doesn't occur when using ENB though. I haven't noticed that since the version 1.00. Not sure if its there if ENB is turned off though.

I am also not sure if the clouds match all the weathers from COT (and supreme storms for me) properly.  Most of the time its fine.  I like the distant rain and the fog.

But when it works as intended, it is indeed amazing.

But when it works as intended, it is indeed amazing.

I would agree with that.  But while I think that this is great work with great potential, it is nowhere near ready for daily use, IMO.  I'd call it a very exciting alpha demonstration of the possibilities.  I would really like to see this one taken to a polished final state.

At present, I find the clipping and flickering issues unplayable, and the presence of clouds and rain far too dominant.  I do wonder if there are fundamental problems with the methods used, as SparrowPrince mentioned.  If the primary graphical issues could be resolved, and the clouds used in a more subtle and restrained way in harmony with the weather, then this would be one of my top mods.  The proposed lightning effects also look superb.

I noticed that the outlines around trees is indeed there when ENB is turned off. But... I have it installed for my current playthrough, you sort of get use to it and Somber ENB (and many other ENBs) look better when it's cloudy.

I notice you do get blue skies where the character is, but you rarely if ever get blue skies nearer the horizon. I am currently not using and Climate mods as Somber ENB doesn't support them... (I miss COT and supreme storms and more fog and stuff, big time though!)

Does anyone know if other weather mods work with ENBs that don't like COT? Meaning: do all weather mods mess with color? Could I use say enhanced dynamic weather system with Somber ENB? Without messing with Somber ENB's author's vision?

• 6 months later...

Version 2 release today. I might check this out eventually.

-Lightning-MUCH BETTER PERFORMANCE-A more realistic cloud model-Improved weather detection-Custom world space support-COT compatibility-More balanced cloud coverage. (i.e no more 24/7 dark clouds )-Removed visual bugs such as seams, visible intersections with other geometry, etc.-Clouds are now visible from any distance -"in the clouds" camera effects

I haven't tried this out myself but from what I've read, it still doesn't look quite right with ENB. That being said, it might still be a good candidate for STEP

Probably depends on the ENB Preset. I use it with Undramatic ENB and it is, uh, very dramatic with volumetric rays and procedural sun. I don't use any weather related mods. As for lighting, just Relighting Skyrim and a couple of the ELFX Plugins that specifically support RLS.

I tried this out today using Serenity sepia preset. Very limited testing (was on a short time schedule) but it looked great. Didn't notice any of the previous problems.

EDIT: This image is a bit small, will try to link the full image tonight or tomorrow.

Posted Image

Edited by Noobsayer
  • +1 1

Noobsayer, on 07 Apr 2014 - 4:28 PM, said:Noobsayer, on 07 Apr 2014 - 4:28 PM, said:

I tried this out today using Serenity sepia preset. Very limited testing (was on a short time schedule) but it looked great. Didn't notice any of the previous problems...

That picture looks great, I've installed Serenity myself and look forward to launching a newly installed/modded/patched Skyrim tonight (haven't played in  a bit, down for maintenance & updates). I'm guessing I should call an audible, pull Dramatic Clouds from my lineup, and go with Real Clouds.

edit: upon further review, no need to pull Dramatic Clouds, I can have my clouds & eat them too!

Edited by redirishlord

That picture looks great, I've installed Serenity myself and look forward to launching a newly installed/modded/patched Skyrim tonight (haven't played in  a bit, down for maintenance & updates). I'm guessing I should call an audible, pull Dramatic Clouds from my lineup, and go with Real Clouds.

Tell us how it looks!