Terre's 4K Fur Textures for CoverKhajiits (by JazzJr and Terreflare)

CorneliusC

I will provide my analysis of this mod in conjunction with it's companion mod, CoverKhajiits.

Screens (presented from left to right):

1. Vanilla
  2. Tempered Skins without CoverKhajiits (vanilla-improved option)
  3. Step (Tempered Skins + CoverKhajiits)
  4. CoverKhajiits - Face Textures 4K SE (v1.1 with body textures made by the CoverKhajiits MA)
  5. CoverKhajiits - Face Textures 4K SE + Terre's 4K Fur Textures for CoverKhajiits

MALE (on Better Males body *except vanilla shot*)

kajiitMale-vanilla.jpgkajiitMale-ts.jpgkajiitMale-ck.jpgkajiitMale-ckbody.jpgkajiitMale-tierre.jpg

FEMALE (on UNP body *except vanilla shot*)

kajiitFemale-vanilla.jpgkajiitFemale-ts.jpgkajiitFemale-ck.jpgkajiitFemale-ckbody.jpgkajiitFemale-tierre.jpg

Similar to my FAR analysis, I think the vanilla style is way better, particularly the head (and particularly the male head ... the female CoverKhajiits head looks pretty good). Tempered Skins improves on this with the Better Males body and improved vanilla textures. The vanilla body also blends better with the vanilla head and CoverKhajiits head, but the latter doesn't 'fit' the vanilla body as well. The fourth option using the CoverKhajiit's MA's own body textures (v1.1 of the mod that was stripped to head only in v1.2 for some strange reason, harkening to this mod as an implicitly better version of body textures :huh:).

This mod's textures (#5) simply don't work and are not consistent with Khajiits in Skyrim. The hair is too short like that of a horse and blending with the neck/head and hands (also from this mod) is really inconsistent.

The CoverKhajiits MA's body textures are much better with the CoverKhajiits head.

The vanilla body textures work best with either the vanilla head or the CoverKhajiits head, but slightly better with the vanilla head, IMO.

The Tempered Skins vanilla male head/body is superior to all others, IMO, but the female CoverKhajiits head does look good, so I could take it or leave it. The female vanilla body textures work best with either head.  I vote to drop CoverKhajiits as a result of my findings here and my XP in game looking at khajiits ... except maybe keep only the female head from that mod.

I don't think this mod should be accepted, since it's too different from vanilla or our current Step solution for khajiits.

This is tough. While I like the patterning on every vanilla asset better, I do think the new textures are a better quality. The finer brush strokes of the new textures add a significant amount of depth to looking like fur. But I completely see the arguments of hair length change and consistency. This mod does give the appearance of a short hair cat vs a med hair cat.

I'd be happier if the consistency was better and either the new patterns were more in line with the vanilla even brindle pattern or kept the medium/long fur look. As is, I think the combination of fur pattern and length changes are different enough from vanilla to warrant dropping these two. EXCEPT, I think most gear would hide these shortcomings, and the improved textures are meaningful improvements over Tempered Skins alone.

While I may be less happy with CoverKhajitts+Terre's during character creation, I think the experience while adventuring in the world would be improved for most players. As such, I would vote to accept/keep both of these despite their shortcomings.

I think I flipped like 4 times while writing this. >-< Factoring in gear cinched it for me though. I'm pretty solid on keep.

5 times. Now I can't unsee the texture boundaries when they're uncovered.

Edited by Thac0

I just think whether or not we keep CoverKhajiits, that this retex doesn't fit either vanilla or CoverKhajiits. The MA that took over CoverKhajiits made better textures for the body than this mod and should have retained those rather than drop them for these created by another MA. Good textures, sure, but not a fit for khajiits without also doing hands, feet and neck (the head is a decent match).

5 hours ago, Greg said:

I prefer option 2 for both male and female. I might be persuaded to go with option 3 for female, but I'm not much of a fan of the CK male head either.

I agree with Greg. The vanilla style just looks better on the males. I like the the CK female texture makes it look a bit more feminine and CK tends to be higher detailed (looking more like fur), but at the same time I don't like that it goes so angular with the design. You're typically a bit closer to their faces when in dialogue so it's hard to tell. The benefit of CK is they are higher quality. Lets be clear that the face texture on Tempered are still vanilla. Tempered doesn't not included Khajiit head textures besides a specular map.

I think we're all in agreeance about the textures from this mod, though. They don't quite fit for the Guide.