Animals Swim (Sort of) (by JaySerpa)

TechAngel85

5 hours ago, TechAngel85 said:

Anywho, the whole point is not to argue the approach to just to test how well SPID is working (basically injection) vs the game's programmed way of grabbing it from a plugin and applying it. Basically, I'm curious as to the limits of SPID and if it can be over used to the point of it just failing or missing stuff. I don't just trust things are going to work as expected when they are doing something unexpected (like injecting records at runtime).

Fair point. If there's any doubt about whether a perk or spell has been correctly distributed by SPID to a particular NPC that doesn't behave as expected, it's easy to check in the console, which lists all the spells and perks, and shows from which mod they come from. I very much doubt there's any issue here, but that's always a possibility.

I'm not going to do that with that mod as I don't care to use or even try it. Just by reading the description on the mod page one can tell it's pretty "janky".

If you don't trust SPID's viability in general, you're going to need to reconsider the inclusion of a lot of mods in the STEP guide, which currently rely on it to function.

On 12/6/2022 at 3:55 AM, Mousetick said:

Fair point. If there's any doubt about whether a perk or spell has been correctly distributed by SPID to a particular NPC that doesn't behave as expected, it's easy to check in the console, which lists all the spells and perks, and shows from which mod they come from. I very much doubt there's any issue here, but that's always a possibility.

I'm not going to do that with that mod as I don't care to use or even try it. Just by reading the description on the mod page one can tell it's pretty "janky".

If you don't trust SPID's viability in general, you're going to need to reconsider the inclusion of a lot of mods in the STEP guide, which currently rely on it to function.

Yes, I'm aware. I haven't tested this one out myself, yet, so I haven't given it due diligence. I only know some are reporting it's working 50/50, but I don't see that on the mod page. When I see such disparities, it makes me want to dive in deeper to make sure the mod is working/patched/etc. before we just decide not to accept it. User feedback is most helpful, but as Coordinators we have to do our own diligence to make sure the mod is put in the Guide and tested properly before moving on. Granted there's nothing to do here but install and hope everything is working because of the design.

I'm just curious as to SPID's reliability when heavily used, as it is being used more and more. Frankly, it doesn't seem like I was the only one concerned from reading the last update to SPID. Po3 has changed the way things are applied to NPCs (one at a time now rather than all at once) and this one, "Fixed bug where some static/unique NPC distributions were wiped upon loading saves" tells me what I was worried about is a real possibility. For the record, I've actually never been a fan of Base Object Swapper or SPID because of them breaking traditional methods and removing a lot of the control from the user and/or over complicating setups (it's very hard to track down issues with these mods).

I'd be curious if this mod is working better for users after that bug fix.

*sigh* So like, sometimes I remind myself that I am indeed a moron. I commented before on how rabbits were grazing underwater, right? Turns out I don't even HAVE THIS MOD INSTALLED! *Hi5's self. In the face. With a chair* So please disregard my previous comment.

EDIT: I have installed it now, so I will report back.

Edited by ButchDiavolo
  • Like 2

OK, so having actually installed the mod this time and watching the woodland critters go about their business, I did see bunnies "swim". By swim I mean they more or less run just below the water surface with heads/ shoulders sticking above. So far I have seen deer, wolves, foxes and skeevers swim as well. I tested it with a "test" setup which made all creatures flee from me, so they would actually run towards the water (Mod: One With Nature all creatures set to "Cowardly). I guess this mod does what it says on the tin.

Having said that, I personally never really paid attention whether animals swam or not, nor do I care very much about it. But I guess for immersion sake this would be a good feature.

4 hours ago, ButchDiavolo said:

Having said that, I personally never really paid attention whether animals swam or not, nor do I care very much about it. But I guess for immersion sake this would be a good feature.

Fair enough. I've had quite a few funny moments with animals and swimming over the years. :laugh: