DynDOLOD 3.00 Alpha 169

sheson

7 hours ago, PRieST said:

Oh, ok, it's because of the naming. Now that I know that...this should be something I need to consider for the other 'textures not match' messages :/

I'll see if I can even further decimate the model myself. But wouldn't this one not ok for level 1 and a more optimized version for level 2 - and if I am correct renaming the mesh to *_lod_1.nif and *_lod_2.nif would than apply it correspondingly?

I thought the new version only changed the NiTriShapes to BSTriShapes - will use the new version now.

The main performance improvement of LOD is reducing draw calls by combining lots of different object into supershapes sharing textures on the atlas. This only works if the UV is not titled for the actual LOD texture that is being used in the end. In case of this LOD model and the 3 textures it uses, it is always between 0.0 to 1.0.
LODGen will try to REUV/optimize on the fly but not sure how well it works in this case.
Reducing vertices/triangle count comes secondary.

One non actual LOD model here or there will not be noticeable, but more an more mods use full models or non actual LOD models it these things can add up, also prolonging generation time.

If you are actually using Blender or 3DMax to do things, look into Simplygon, it can tile the UV on top of decimating triangles.

27 minutes ago, sheson said:

If you are actually using Blender or 3DMax to do things, look into Simplygon, it can tile the UV on top of decimating triangles.

I was already working with Simplygon via Blender, but haven't recognized the UV tiling feature.

Will take a look, thank you.

btw: Yep, renaming the BSTriShapes solved the issue as you said.

Edited by PRieST

I've used Dyndolod successfully in the past, but for some reason it doesnt work now. I've deleted any trace of Dyndo to ensure a full redo. But when i go to use TexGen64, it freezes everytime at "Gathering base records for billboards". I also believe there's supposed to be a pop up screen that asks where the output goes,, but that isn't popping up either. I tried running as administrator,  as well as turning off compatibility mode, still the same outcome. Any suggestions?

Edited by LilSxmmy

3 hours ago, LilSxmmy said:

I've used Dyndolod successfully in the past, but for some reason it doesnt work now. I've deleted any trace of Dyndo to ensure a full redo. But when i go to use TexGen64, it freezes everytime at "Gathering base records for billboards". I also believe there's supposed to be a pop up screen that asks where the output goes,, but that isn't popping up either. I tried running as administrator,  as well as turning off compatibility mode, still the same outcome. Any suggestions?

Read the first post and/or https://dyndolod.info/Official-DynDOLOD-Support-Forum#Post-Logs which TexGen log, debug log and bugreport.txt if it exists to upload when making posts. If there are no logs because TexGen doesn't shutdown after clicking X once and waiting for a bit, enable the real time log as explained in the webpage. 

Check in task manager if TexGen uses any CPU in that case. Check in task manager if there Texconv processes TexGen might be waiting for.

1 hour ago, LilSxmmy said:

There were no logs and it used 0% cpu. Here's the real time log:    https://pastebin.com/1x6bCM44

[00:25] [TMessageDialog.Dialog] Error: Texconv error 80004005 textures\landscape\grass\ewpshore07.dds "C:\Modding\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Texconvx64.exe" -nologo -gpu 0 -y -m 1 -aw 256 -f R8G8B8A8_UNORM -o "C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\TexGen_SSE" "C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\TexGen_SSE\E4AF8D1B1758485FA4A54636D914828B.dds"

https://dyndolod.info/Help/Texconv
The texture is not a valid file format or corrupted and needs to be converted or replaced. Look up the texture path in MOs right window Data tab to find out which mod supplies it. Reinstall the textures from the mod, DynDOLOD Resources or TexGen output, whichever it is.

I tries to show a message dialog box with the error. You sure it is not maybe hidden behind some other windows?
In any case fix the texture and it should run through.

• sheson changed the title to DynDOLOD 3.00 Alpha 169
On 3/27/2024 at 7:09 PM, PRieST said:

I was already working with Simplygon via Blender, but haven't recognized the UV tiling feature.

Will take a look, thank you.

btw: Yep, renaming the BSTriShapes solved the issue as you said.

@sheson
Did what you suggested with Simplygon and the UV stuff. This is now the result of the same *32*.bto file (it's using textures from the atlas now as supposed to be).
The mesh itself is a little bit broken, but for the map it's absolutely fine:

new.png
vs. the old model:
Tamriel-32-0-32-bto.jpg

Just wanted to give you/all other people here the info.
Of course best practice would be to reduce the overall polycount next, because you won't need all the little structures for the LOD-model at all - but I haven't worked on that, yet.

Edited by PRieST

31 minutes ago, PRieST said:

@sheson
Did what you suggested with Simplygon and the UV stuff. This is now the result of the same *32*.bto file (it's using textures from the atlas now as supposed to be).
The mesh itself is a little bit broken, but for the map it's absolutely fine:

new.png
vs. the old model:
Tamriel-32-0-32-bto.jpg

Just wanted to give you/all other people here the info.
Of course best practice would be to reduce the overall polycount next, because you won't need all the little structures for the LOD-model at all - but I haven't worked on that, yet.

Of note, Simplygon will no longer offer its free tier after March 31st.

1 hour ago, DoubleYou said:

Of note, Simplygon will no longer offer its free tier after March 31st.

35k/year...holy... that's kind of a statement...

OK I guess that's it then. Glad I just finished this and a few other things earlier.

46 minutes ago, User77111 said:

Logs: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Av1dDuTYEuYRgcpG0GjoBXG5bQVTuQ?e=Bru3fR

After updating DynDOLOD, all tree LOD in skyrim 3d trees LOD is very thin.

LOD:

r91zAA8.png

Tree Model:

hKeRxId.jpeg

Console of tree:

KuFQzKo.jpeg

You seem to have customized 3D tree LOD models with a higher alpha threshold then the ones from Skyrim3DTrees and Plants 3dLOD Resources 5.0.1.
Test with the original 3D tree LOD models that typically have a threshold of 128. 

50 minutes ago, sheson said:

You seem to have customized 3D tree LOD models with a higher alpha threshold then the ones from Skyrim3DTrees and Plants 3dLOD Resources 5.0.1.
Test with the original 3D tree LOD models that typically have a threshold of 128. 

It's just slightly better with the normal ones. Not as good as the custom ones I made. Is it possible to disable or adjust this automatic alpha threshold that was added?
A0mxKLv.png

Edited by User77111

9 minutes ago, User77111 said:

It is better with the normal ones. Not as good as the custom ones I made. Is it possible to disable or adjust this automatic alpha threshold that was added?
A0mxKLv.png

Did you make your own 3D models for this? If so, set NiAlphaProperty of the branches to 128. This will keep all of your other changes without messing up the alpha-to-coverage problem in LOD.

If you also modified the base models to your own custom NiAlphaProperty, then just leave those as you like.

12 minutes ago, z929669 said:

Did you make your own 3D models for this? If so, set NiAlphaProperty of the branches to 128. This will keep all of your other changes without messing up the alpha-to-coverage problem in LOD.

If you also modified the base models to your own custom NiAlphaProperty, then just leave those as you like.

I did not make my own custom models, I just edited the models. I edited the NiAlphaProperty of the leafs for each of the trees to make them perfectly match the normal models.

Do I need to add an alpha property to the branches and set it to 128 for DynDOLOD not to touch the branches?

Edited by User77111