Glitches at cave entrance terrain and a little more

TaxTalis

WATER.jpg

Here's my water at the same place. Because of the way water LOD is only a bare record, as soon as it turns to LOD it is going to look the same for all water LOD, so you are going to see that line. You can see this clearly in both our shots. I think the main reason yours looks so much worse is because of the Rudy ENB settings you have for the water were designed for Water for ENB. You could try turning Reflect Sky on. It might actually look better in your case, as it would reflect the light of the sky on the water.

As for Rimerock Burrow, that is actually not landscape but the actual rocks that look off here. Not really anything that can be done about it besides modding the rocks to look differently, and it may look different with alternative textures. Simply put, it isn't really worth trying to correct, and it is not a conflict with any mod in the setup. It just looks odd. It's hard to make this kind of thing look perfect everywhere.

Ah I see, sorry for bringing such a minor thing up. 

And you are correct, I didn't think the ENB had so much power.
Should have checked beforehand, also my apologies for that.

Thank you for all those helpful tips and the quick responses! 

EDIT: Swapped to STEP High ENB Preset, yes, water looks sooo much better now!
Also I wondered for Dyndolod settings, does the button press as shown in the guide load a standard DynDOLOD file, the file included in the STEP CR Patch or should you manually load exactly that file from the CR Patch directory?

Edited by TaxTalis

2 hours ago, TaxTalis said:

Also, is there any other setting which could mess with my water there or does this just look normal?
https://my.hidrive.com/lnk/yHgDn000
Checked in console, reflectsky is definitively off...

getini "breflectsky:water"
INISetting breflectsky:water >> 0

Thanks!

Ouch. I have to say that I don't prefer Rudy's water setup. It looks a bit like blue paint to me. Just my subjective opinion though.

1 hour ago, TaxTalis said:

Ah I see, sorry for bringing such a minor thing up. 

And you are correct, I didn't think the ENB had so much power.
Should have checked beforehand, also my apologies for that.

Thank you for all those helpful tips and the quick responses! 

EDIT: Swapped to STEP High ENB Preset, yes, water looks sooo much better now!
Also I wondered for Dyndolod settings, does the button press as shown in the guide load a standard DynDOLOD file, the file included in the STEP CR Patch or should you manually load exactly that file from the CR Patch directory?

The rule automatically loads when you press the preset buttons (low/medium/high).

17 minutes ago, z929669 said:

Ouch. I have to say that I don't prefer Rudy's water setup. It looks a bit like blue paint to me. Just my subjective opinion though.

To be fair, this is probably only because it is designed for the Water for ENB mod.

8 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

The rule automatically loads when you press the preset buttons (low/medium/high).

Ok, so, what is the file in the CR Patch for then? 
There is even an update to it for 2.0.1 and the rules look very different from what the "High" preset button loads. And it says to rerun DynDOLOD if High setting were used.
That confused me a little, so I just ran it after loading the file manually but the outcome doesn't really look like it worked. 

8 hours ago, z929669 said:

Yes, that's why I was asking, I too think it looks rather... unpleasant. :D

Could be, but I still suspect not. It looks like ENB effect ... but maybe exacerbated by RWT normals

I can't say if it's the mismatched water mod or just the ENB Preset itself, though at least with Realistic Water Two the STEP Preset looks so much better indeed!
That said, I can't get DoF to work which I'm actually not a fan of in general, but which I got used to hiding some shadow pops and imperfections in the distance.
I enabled it in ENB but it doesn't seem to do anything...

Edited by TaxTalis

4 hours ago, TaxTalis said:

That said, I can't get DoF to work which I'm actually not a fan of in general, but which I got used to hiding some shadow pops and imperfections in the distance.

I enabled it in ENB but it doesn't seem to do anything...

Open enbseries.ini and set EnableDepthOfField=true if you want to play with DoF. You can also see settings further down once that's done.

[DEPTHOFFIELD]
ApertureTime=5
FocusingTime=0.5

4 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

The rules file will be automatically detected by DynDOLOD and loaded when you click the low/medium/high preset buttons. 

Still a persisting question I have: Hitting one of these preset buttons loads up all relevant rules from relevant paths, but once done, this shouldn't be required in subsequent runs unless the underlying rules change 9DynDOLOD update, mod list changes, mod updates, etc.). DynDOLOD always loads most recently-run rules config, and if you save the preset, you can always retrieve it. I have always done this, but I thought you said that one must hit the preset button every time. Since you have tested this piece more extensively than me, I just want to confirm that you agree/disagree.

All data for rules from all possible paths in DynDOLOD install location and mod list are applied on hitting the preset. Once applied, they all 'stick' in my XP (I have diff'ed presets in ..\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\Presets\. to confirm that this is true. Maybe I'm missing something less obvious though.

1 hour ago, z929669 said:

Still a persisting question I have: Hitting one of these preset buttons loads up all relevant rules from relevant paths, but once done, this shouldn't be required in subsequent runs unless the underlying rules change 9DynDOLOD update, mod list changes, mod updates, etc.). DynDOLOD always loads most recently-run rules config, and if you save the preset, you can always retrieve it. I have always done this, but I thought you said that one must hit the preset button every time. Since you have tested this piece more extensively than me, I just want to confirm that you agree/disagree.

All data for rules from all possible paths in DynDOLOD install location and mod list are applied on hitting the preset. Once applied, they all 'stick' in my XP (I have diff'ed presets in ..\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\Presets\. to confirm that this is true. Maybe I'm missing something less obvious though.

This is correct. It saves your settings/rules each time.

You only should need to reload the preset if rules update to pull in updated rules. However, if you add plugins, and there exist DynDOLOD rules for them officially or as part of the mod, you will need to click it to load those rules. 

But if DynDOLOD takes the given updated preset from the CR why is it then that when I hit "High" the rules look so different from when I load them via the "Load Preset" button directly from the file? Maybe I just don't get or know something in the chain happening there - I did just use the "High" button as in the guide and everything works, just to be clear. I'm just curious to how it works I guess. 

Open enbseries.ini and set EnableDepthOfField=true if you want to play with DoF. You can also see settings further down once that's done.

[DEPTHOFFIELD]
ApertureTime=5
FocusingTime=0.5

Thank you, I did enable it, but I still don't see any DoF. I will change those values and investigate further. 

Load preset button is entirely different. It is used to save different sets of preset settings which includes rules and any other setting. Individual rules files only modify the settings indicated so it can be more dynamic and not fall out of date quickly. While both are ini files and have similar file structures, their usage is different. 

DynDOLOD presets simply have the current mesh rules in the window along with all of the other GUI settings. If you don't load one, a 'default' preset is still saved and loaded each run for subsequent run. If you save a preset, then it allows you to load a known preset rather than the default.

If you go through the process of toggling DynDOLOD settings in the GUI and hitting the low/med/high buttons, then run DynDOLOD, you will see all of these exact same settings and mesh rules are loaded next run. It only changes on loading a preset if you have a different preset. Just run DynDOLOD and play with it, running DynDOLOD and immediately quitting. When you reload, the settings will be the same.

Thank you for explaining, it seems these presets work differently than just saving a bunch of the things you see in the GUI - maybe I have too little understanding what DynDOLOD actually does to grasp it at this point :D

I also couldn't get the DoF for the STEP ENB to work, the settings

On 3/16/2022 at 3:10 PM, z929669 said:

[DEPTHOFFIELD]
ApertureTime=5
FocusingTime=0.5

didn't change anything for me for some reason, I even went in and replaced some of the other ini files which had DoF in name but also without any change.
Switching back to Rudy's ENB the DoF was working fine but I couldn't figure out why. On that note I enabled "disableDistantReflection" for water which makes the water LOD look much better.

Those just as information if someone stumbles upon this.
Thank you again for all your generous support and input it's amazing to get this kind of help!