Grass Cache Fixes (by DoubleYouC)

z929669

9 minutes ago, TechAngel85 said:

Is "utilities" the best fit for this one? DY has it in Bug Fixes over on Nexus.

Grass Cache Fixes mod? I think so. It fits the bill best for utilities IMO, but it could also go into Resources. It's arguably a fix as well though. It can be installed anywhere at all in the mod list though, so wherever is the consensus is fine by me.

12 minutes ago, z929669 said:

Grass Cache Fixes mod? I think so. It fits the bill best for utilities IMO, but it could also go into Resources. It's arguably a fix as well though. It can be installed anywhere at all in the mod list though, so wherever is the consensus is fine by me.

Utilities: Mods that generate derived mod output from load-order-specific assets

12 minutes ago, TechAngel85 said:

Utilities: Mods that generate derived mod output from load-order-specific assets

Yes, that's essentially how this mod was made: blank GID files generated from vanilla GID predecessors. However, that may be a stretch. I don't think it adheres to any of our cat definitions. It itself is not really a fix either. It's just tricking the game into using CGID files for LOD, but it doesn't provide these files. That's why it could be a Resource as well, I guess.

Whatever you guys think though.

10 minutes ago, z929669 said:

Yes, that's essentially how this mod was made: blank GID files generated from vanilla GID predecessors. However, that may be a stretch. I don't think it adheres to any of our cat definitions. It itself is not really a fix either. It's just tricking the game into using CGID files for LOD, but it doesn't provide these files. That's why it could be a Resource as well, I guess.

Whatever you guys think though.

My only issue is the mod, itself, isn't generating anything which would put it in Utilities. What's the mod doing? It's removing vanilla grass so that user generated files will be used. Though it's affecting in-game content, this puts it closer to a Resources, imo. But you're right, it doesn't really fit into any ModGroup completely.

10 minutes ago, TechAngel85 said:

My only issue is the mod, itself, isn't generating anything which would put it in Utilities. What's the mod doing? It's removing vanilla grass so that user generated files will be used. Though it's affecting in-game content, this puts it closer to a Resources, imo. But you're right, it doesn't really fit into any ModGroup completely.

Well, it looks like Resources is where it belongs then. We both seem to see a rationale for that. I wonder what @Greg and @DoubleYou think.

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

Version 1.1

• Latest 1.6.629 update did the unthinkable and changed some of the included grass gid files for Todd only knows what reason. It should be safe to update for all versions of the game, but only necessary for 1.6.629 or later.

Rumor has it ( haven't been able to confirm this though) that another Skyrim update is incoming next week...