Simplest Horses (and other mounts) (by Hackfield)

z929669

The naming of the horses is documented in some of the posts from the MA as well, but I don't remember seeing it in the description. If you read through the posts, the MA also calls out a couple of other mods that may be useful in conjunction with Simplest Horses in the top sticky.

Preliminary testing of this mod is pretty good. I like that I can do everything with just the 1 hotkey. I need to troubleshoot a possible CTD caused by this though, as I allowed my horse "follow" me, and then I went diving down into the deep blue sea to examine a shipwreck, and the crash log makes me think my horse was trying to swim underwater.

1 hour ago, DoubleYou said:

Preliminary testing of this mod is pretty good. I like that I can do everything with just the 1 hotkey. I need to troubleshoot a possible CTD caused by this though, as I allowed my horse "follow" me, and then I went diving down into the deep blue sea to examine a shipwreck, and the crash log makes me think my horse was trying to swim underwater.

Following up, tried to repeat it and it didn't crash, so probably more due to fact that my save is starting to get old (level 82 character). 

Briefly testing the functions:

• Access horse inventory by pressing hotkey while pointing at horse - perfect
  • Pressing the hotkey at any time toggles wait/follow
  • Pressing the hotkey from a distance makes the horse come to you (follow). This can take awhile if he is far away.
  • Pressing and holding the hotkey makes the horse "nearby." He spawns somewhere close by.
  • Pressing the hotkey on the follower assigns the horse to the follower, but when I mount, the follower didn't mount, so I'm not sure what that's about.
  • Setting the horse as Protected doesn't disable killing them. If you hit them with enough force, they will die. But they heal very quickly if slightly injured.

So far seems like a winner.

50 minutes ago, gamingsrc said:

No home support for horses (?).

What is "home support"?

14 hours ago, Greg said:

If you read through the posts, the MA also calls out a couple of other mods that may be useful in conjunction with Simplest Horses in the top sticky.

Neither of these 2 recommended mods would probably fit the STEP mandate, but I'm going with one of them: To tame a horse. Another silly semi-realistic immersive mod for my collection. You need to have a bunch of carrots in your inventory to increase your chances of successfully taming the horse. I like this. Thanks :)

2 hours ago, Mousetick said:

Neither of these 2 recommended mods would probably fit the STEP mandate, but I'm going with one of them: To tame a horse. Another silly semi-realistic immersive mod for my collection. You need to have a bunch of carrots in your inventory to increase your chances of successfully taming the horse. I like this. Thanks :)

The Wild Horses CC allows you to tame 8 different wild horses. I wonder if the mechanic used could be employed on random horses.

1 minute ago, TechAngel85 said:

Just curious as to why? Wouldn't any horse that isn't wild already be tamed/trained?

Typically horses you don't own do not stay with you. They walk away from you back to where you found them. If you could "tame" the horse, and own it then, that would be an advantage. And it would stop you from just mounting any random horse and immediately running away on it.

horse taming isn't necessarily incompatible with the mandate. I like the idea, since it adds a bit of realism and control (assuming that the horse considers itself 'yours' once you go through the work of taming it).

I just don't play with horses much if at all. They get in my way more than they help. Using horses is just one more task to manage, IMO. I don't even use mounts much in DA:I (but they are convenient for the big desert areas)

10 minutes ago, DoubleYou said:

Typically horses you don't own do not stay with you. They walk away from you back to where you found them. If you could "tame" the horse, and own it then, that would be an advantage. And it would stop you from just mounting any random horse and immediately running away on it.

Okay so we're talking about ownership rather than "taming" (domestication of a wild animal). That should be fairly easy to do with a small script. Not sure without a script.