Convenient Reading UI (by uranreactor)

Mousetick

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have to play with this one to see if I can find a mixture of settings that is readable. I like Font Overhaul because it has good contrast between the font color and background and the font is legible to my aging eyes. I like that this mod makes the book larger and it seems to have some nice features, but the smudged font loses a lot of contrast and the font appear blurry to my eyes.

49 minutes ago, Greg said:

I'll have to play with this one to see if I can find a mixture of settings that is readable. I like Font Overhaul because it has good contrast between the font color and background and the font is legible to my aging eyes. I like that this mod makes the book larger and it seems to have some nice features, but the smudged font loses a lot of contrast and the font appear blurry to my eyes.

You can simply increase the book/note font size in your setup.

On 12/19/2021 at 3:13 PM, Mousetick said:

Will need to update the Font Overhaul installation instructions (for STEP 2.0) as well, to omit the 'Realistic Print' option.

9 minutes ago, TechAngel85 said:

I have to agree with Greg. The text is fuzz and harder to read. I wouldn't read any books with this installed as even my eyes are straining a bit with the fuzziness.

I think if we use the Realistic Print option from FO, this might resolve for you guys. I personally prefer this mod's fuzzier text though, since it looks more like printed text.

17 minutes ago, z929669 said:

I think if we use the Realistic Print option from FO, this might resolve for you guys. I personally prefer this mod's fuzzier text though, since it looks more like printed text.

It just takes it too far. Cut it in half and it might be fine.

Would be nice if it was a controllable effect, but I think it would put too many off as it is.

Just looking at the screenshots may make them look appear fuzzier than they really are, depending on how they are displayed in your browser. For me, they are shrunk down to fit in the forum's picture viewer, which makes them look fuzzy indeed, the effect being exacerbated by the smaller font. But they're actually not noticeably fuzzier than Font Overhaul's 'Realistic Print'.

To get a better idea of the clarity, or lack thereof, the mod should be looked at in-game at your monitor's resolution, or the screenshots should be displayed and looked at a 1:1 scale.

Here is a small sample taken from a fullscreen screenshot which should be displayed at 1:1 when clicked upon. Does it look too fuzzy?

image.png

28 minutes ago, Mousetick said:

Just looking at the screenshots may make them look appear fuzzier than they really are, depending on how they are displayed in your browser. For me, they are shrunk down to fit in the forum's picture viewer, which makes them look fuzzy indeed, the effect being exacerbated by the smaller font. But they're actually not noticeably fuzzier than Font Overhaul's 'Realistic Print'.

To get a better idea of the clarity, or lack thereof, the mod should be looked at in-game at your monitor's resolution, or the screenshots should be displayed and looked at a 1:1 scale.

Here is a small sample taken from a fullscreen screenshot which should be displayed at 1:1 when clicked upon. Does it look too fuzzy?

image.png

Yes, that looks better. I haven't looked at this in-game yet.

10 hours ago, z929669 said:

I hadn't noticed, but yes, it's fuzzier in my screens than it is in game

The fuzziness effect is even more pronounced with your screens owing to their huge dimensions, when viewed on a smaller monitor. JPEG compression artifacts + shrinkage to fit picture = messy blurriness.

The text in game is not quite as fuzzy as it seems in previous screenshots, but the text is definitely fuzzy to my poor old eyes. I get that these books were hand-written and perhaps should have some ink bleeding around the letters, but this decreases the contrast of the font and makes the text fuzzier. Below are sample screenshots of the various options and I absolutely prefer the easy-to-read laser print provided by Font Overhaul. I'll vote to yes to use Convenient Reading, but I'll personally let Font Overhaul override.

Convenient Reading 15 > Convenient Reading 15 Darker Font > Convenient Reading 20 > Convenient Reading 20 Darker Font > Convenient Reading + Font Overhaul

ScreenShot10.jpg  ScreenShot11.jpg  ScreenShot13.jpg  ScreenShot14.jpg  ScreenShot12.jpg

2 hours ago, Greg said:

The text in game is not quite as fuzzy as it seems in previous screenshots, but the text is definitely fuzzy to my poor old eyes. I get that these books were hand-written and perhaps should have some ink bleeding around the letters, but this decreases the contrast of the font and makes the text fuzzier. Below are sample screenshots of the various options and I absolutely prefer the easy-to-read laser print provided by Font Overhaul. I'll vote to yes to use Convenient Reading, but I'll personally let Font Overhaul override.

Convenient Reading 15 > Convenient Reading 15 Darker Font > Convenient Reading 20 > Convenient Reading 20 Darker Font > Convenient Reading + Font Overhaul

ScreenShot10.jpg  ScreenShot11.jpg  ScreenShot13.jpg  ScreenShot14.jpg  ScreenShot12.jpg

I completely agree! The darker option helps, but the effect is still there. I do like the more condensed style from this mod, though.

I've done an image search for old (more well preserved) scrolls and writing. They are sharp are today's lettering in most cases. The older ones have fading that looks similar to the default font (maybe that's what the author was aiming for) but this fake "bleeding" is totally bogus. Just do the search yourself and see how sharp medieval texts are. To my eyes it looks like gaussian blur has been applied to this mods font. It's an even fuzzy all over and around the lettering. I can't unsee that and it bothers me just looking at it. Sometime you can take realism too far on the screen and this is a case of that, imo, as the FO would likely be more suited for the masses.