Skyrim Special Edition Grass LOD Guide

DoubleYou

Always verify that the grass looks good in-game prior to precaching. If no grass shows when loading the game normally, that will cause there to be no grass upon generation. If grass shows in-game and not upon precaching, probably NGIO ini config is incorrect.

6 hours ago, soupdragon said:

Well I have a new problem with NGIO grass generation it generates just fine except all the .cgid files are empty just 1kb in size the entire cache about 9mb. Of course theres no grass ingame because theres no valid data. Its a new one for sure just leaving this here incase anyone has the same issue and figured out why its happening because I'm baffled.

• TechAngel85 unpinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been trying to run Grass Cache since yesterday. At first I did not follow the guides to speed up the process. My mistake. Went ahead after that and followed every step to improve generation time. I kept running into certain worldspaces failing over and over again. It wasn't a specific one. At first it was a Worldspace in Solsthiem, then Solitue, and now Windhelm. 

I attached the last two CTDs, I know they will happen, that isn;t the issue. It is the failing at one point and never moving past it to completion. Here are the logs.: 

https://ufile.io/0bhcldo2

https://ufile.io/06ygv0ap

If you need anything more please let me know. I followed all direction from: https://stepmodifications.org/wiki/SkyrimSE:Grass_LOD_Guide

I deactivate all Mods related to ENBs, xLodgen Output, TexGen Output, and DynDOLOD Output. I will rerun them once its finished. Just have to get there now lol

For whatever reason, I can't seem to download the files from that location. Probably better to use pastebin for these kind of simple text files.

At any rate, the issue is typically the same: there is a mod causing reproducible CTD at the location it is failing to move past. Sometimes the location is outside the seeable region, but sometimes not. You have to pinpoint the problematic mod and remove it before it will move past it.

4 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

For whatever reason, I can't seem to download the files from that location. Probably better to use pastebin for these kind of simple text files.

At any rate, the issue is typically the same: there is a mod causing reproducible CTD at the location it is failing to move past. Sometimes the location is outside the seeable region, but sometimes not. You have to pinpoint the problematic mod and remove it before it will move past it.

I apologize for them not working. I have been disabling some mods to find it. I found JK Riften Outskirts might be tripping it up. I am running it currently with out and its made it to Tamriel 55 out of 55 but it is failing a lot at that last point. 

Crash.txt

14 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

It looks like the problem was with JKs Riften Outskirts JKs Windhelm Outskirts, and JKs Riverwood. Deactivating those allowed the cache to finish

• 2 months later...

I'm attempting to follow the guide for grass LOD

I'm running 1.6 with about 100 mods

I've setup a separate 1.5 skyrim folder, and a new MO2 instance to control it, so I can build the grass cache

SE1.5 runs fine, I've installed the base of skse, address library, engine fixes, ussep, dll loader, all specific to 1.5 and this is working fine from the skse loader - I can start the game no problem. I don't have any other mods installed yet, just these few, but I'll continue modding 1.5 to match my 1.6 game and testing it as I go, once it's all there and running correctly I'll build the grass cache from it. the problem is, following the guide, I can't get 1.5 to run

where I have a problem is this line in the guide "Everything in the ..\Data directory MUST be from 1.6.xxx EXCEPT the Skyrim - Interface.bsa. Using the outdated ESMs will cause landscape to be incorrect"

if I include skyrim.esm update.esm or any of the DLC esm from 1.6 into my 1.5 data folder, its CTD before I even reach the start menu. I get the bethesda logo for a bit and that's it

the terrain mesh is in meshes though so will this work okay or am I screwed? there doesn't seem to be any way to get 1.5 skyrim to run with 1.6 skyrim.esm in the data folder, but other posts above suggest this is necessary as there's landscape edits in the skyrim.esm? is that definitely the case?

checking again, it's all the bsa files that I've included, and the _resourcepack.esl, and it still boots. I can't include any esm files or its CTD. I've wrapped this lot up in a MO2 mod so its easy to hide/unhide files as needed. can't unhide any of the esm

Edited by Statick

• 4 weeks later...

Either your DynDOLOD Grass LOD density is too low or the downloaded grass cache's density is too low.

53 minutes ago, louis said:

Hello, my grass lods look like that: https://imgur.com/a/xQUyBBV.

I have downloaded Folkvangr with it's grass cache:https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/78293

Then I followed the grass lod guide step by step. I have no Idea where to look or what to do. Thank you and hopefully this is the right place, if not, so sorry, you can just ignore this.

2 hours ago, louis said:

Thank you for quick answer. My DynDOLOD Grass density is at 100. As for the pregenerated grass cache, could you clarify how I can verify the density? Distant grass in the modpage's Screenshots (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/78293?tab=images) look exactly like what I'm trying to achieve.

The best way would be to install Grass Cache Helper NG to load the cache files in game. That way you can verify the density is what you want. 

24 minutes ago, DoubleYou said:

The best way would be to install Grass Cache Helper NG to load the cache files in game. That way you can verify the density is what you want. 

Understood. I already had Grass Cache Helper NG installed. Can you explain how do I check for density? Also, I was wondering if this setting is good to have set true?: https://imgur.com/a/GPhn3GO. It was true by default so idk.

Edited by louis