Skyrim Special Edition Grass LOD Guide

DoubleYou

• 1 month later...
On 11/29/2021 at 11:51 AM, z929669 said:

I have found that grass density of 45-50 makes for better LOD transitions at very minimal performance cost.

I used your grass brightness values and density of 50, and it looks quite good with the ENB.

1 hour ago, DoubleYou said:

I used your grass brightness values and density of 50, and it looks quite good with the ENB.

I haven't been messing with grass LOD for a while now. Glad you agree.

Did you get decent performance? SSE FPS Stabilizer active?

• 3 weeks later...

From what I can see and have learned is that this guide works only for SSE and not SAE.

SAE uses a dll file called bink2w64.dll and no longer binkw64.dll.  Note without the 2 in the name.

I realise this guide is specifically for SSE but because SAE is here, people are in need of an SAE guide as well so the guide advises you to install the .Net Script Framwork which relies on the DLL Plugin loader mod.  The DLL plugin loader mod tells you to rename binkw64.dll and not bink2w64.dll so the mod has not been updated for SAE.

So logically it would mean that we cannot generate the precached grass for SAE as yet until the DLL plugin loader mod is updated.

I am very willing to be corrected if I am wrong because I just want to get my game working with grass everywhere.

Edited by Wolvyreen

16 minutes ago, Wolvyreen said:

So logically it would mean that we cannot generate the precached grass for SAE as yet until the DLL plugin loader mod is update.

I am very willing to be corrected if I am wrong because I just want to get my game working with grass everywhere.

There is a workaround which allows you to use the NGIO grass cache with SAE, if you have an existing one from SSE and your SAE load order is unchanged grass-wise compared to SSE. If you don't have an existing NGIO grass cache from SSE, you need to have access to SSE to generate it in the first place, then use the workaround to migrate it to SAE. See the below links for more info.

Nexus: Grass Cache Fixes

STEPGrass Cache Fixes (by DoubleYouC)

56 minutes ago, Mousetick said:

There is a workaround which allows you to use the NGIO grass cache with SAE, if you have an existing one from SSE and your SAE load order is unchanged grass-wise compared to SSE. If you don't have an existing NGIO grass cache from SSE, you need to have access to SSE to generate it in the first place, then use the workaround to migrate it to SAE. See the below links for more info.

Nexus: Grass Cache Fixes

STEPGrass Cache Fixes (by DoubleYouC)

Thanks @Mousetick. but with the introduction of SAE and some new mods, my load order has changed.  therefore I would need to downgrade skyrim, generate the grass and upgrade skyrim again.

It's just not worth it.  I'll have to do without the grass until the mods are updated.

• 2 months later...