Natural Born Killers (by Boycad)

@boycad

Let's discuss your guide work here. It looks like you want to create an unofficial guide based on your own personal vision. This is totally fine, and you can do that using the Step guide infrastructure. Again, this benefits you and other curators (like us) in the long term.

In response to your reply on the wiki: "badges" that I mention have nothing to do with the wiki or Wikipedia. It's just a forum group you would belong to "Fallout4 Curator" that would give you and others that curate FO4 guides permissions to do certain things on the forum and wiki to support that. It is also a label that all members can see so they know that you are an 'authority' on such matters.

First step is to create your wiki mod pages as described on all the threads I linked on your wiki Talk page. I am also in the process of creating a guide for curators, but that will take a week or two.

Thanks for the thread :) 

My very own thread.  Oh happy day!  Happy day, indeed!
-----
Fallout 4 is more modular than earlier engine versions.  Modules were always possible, but never quite seemed to work, and Von Neumanns Catastrophe began to set in. I get the feeling they, modules, could really work in FO4.  So, that is one goal of this guide.  There are others.  Some goals are nested within other goals. Their ordinal relationships are fraught, you see.  So, they can not simply be listed.  

AAF and Sim Settlements 2, are the starting choices.  Another goal, one really in the house style, is to embed new objects in the game, always.  Also, no crafting station anomolies, like clothes being made at a chemistry station.  Yuk.  Yet another is a low total overhead, and 150ish plugin cap.  Anyways, that's all in the guide itself.

Which brings us back to modules.  "What are modules?", you ask...  I'll be back with skeleton stuff, and the Liveley's weapon module, as I see it, for illustration.

Note that there's hardly even any guide there for the nonce, so be advised:     **WIP**

edit: oh and to have some fun at this.  That is a goal.  The whole trend of games turning in to work is absolutely and categorically rejected.  Sorry, Keeners :construction: :dancingbanana:

Edited by boycad

7 hours ago, boycad said:

Thanks for the thread :) 

My very own thread.  Oh happy day!  Happy day, indeed!
-----
Fallout 4 is more modular than earlier engine versions.  Modules were always possible, but never quite seemed to work, and Von Neumanns Catastrophe began to set in. I get the feeling they, modules, could really work in FO4.  So, that is one goal of this guide.  There are others.  Some goals are nested within other goals. Their ordinal relationships are fraught, you see.  So, they can not simply be listed.  

AAF and Sim Settlements 2, are the starting choices.  Another goal, one really in the house style, is to embed new objects in the game, always.  Also, no crafting station anomolies, like clothes being made at a chemistry station.  Yuk.  Yet another is a low total overhead, and 150ish plugin cap.  Anyways, that's all in the guide itself.

Which brings us back to modules.  "What are modules?", you ask...  I'll be back with skeleton stuff, and the Liveley's weapon module, as I see it, for illustration.

Note that there's hardly even any guide there for the nonce, so be advised:     **WIP**

edit: oh and to have some fun at this.  That is a goal.  The whole trend of games turning in to work is absolutely and categorically rejected.  Sorry, Keeners :construction: :dancingbanana:

I'm guessing 'modules' are > 1 mod either 1) packaged together (as a mod) or 2) associated for end-user installation ... together.

#1 wors fine with our framework, but #2 is problematic ... this could be done if all 'modules' have the same ModGroup. Otherwise, no: module = Guide.

I would advise against this "guides within guide" format if that's the case, but feel free if that's what you are set on doing. In that case, you can just continue doing your own thing on your User page. That's what the wiki if for ultimately. If you do care to work within the more traditional mod-build guide structure, I can point you to the relevant wiki doc to get you started. Once your guide is complete, I have a means to articulate it with the Fallout3 Home page so the URL shows up there for other users to find it easily without a specific link.

9 hours ago, z929669 said:

associated for end-user installation ... together.

Yes, that's the one. It's because mods often develop as groups.  That is, groups of mods develop, even though often different people have made each mod, their relationships cause clumping, which a guide can exploit.  Modules makes sense, I think, because this structure is inherent to the original material, meaning the library of all available mods. On what grounds do you advise against this? 

I should have a full example for illustration. 

But yes, though I would like to and intend to use as much of the methods and flows built in to the site as possible, 'modules' will probably demand a level of flexibility from that infrastructure not available, except as you say simply by writing it in to the guide.  Which is fine.  There are other goals.  I'm having trouble putting images in, for example. 

But let's keep following this Mod Module issue: Probably the best thing I can do for that is to use this thread to show off a good example of what it is, and then the question will be: "How best to do this?".
-----

9 hours ago, z929669 said:

point you to the relevant wiki doc to get you started

I've read everything you've pointed me too, and more.  Please do point out more.

Edited by boycad

25 minutes ago, boycad said:

Yes, that's the one. It's because mods often develop as groups.  That is, groups of mods develop, even though often different people have made each mod, their relationships cause clumping, which a guide can exploit.  Modules makes sense, I think, because this structure is inherent to the original material, meaning the library of all available mods.

I should have a full example for illustration. 

But yes, though I would like to and intend to use as much of the methods and flows built in to the site as possible, 'modules' will probably demand a level of flexibility from that infrastructure not available, except as you say simply by writing it in to the guide.  Which is fine.  There are other goals.  I'm having trouble putting images in, for example. 

But let's keep following this Mod Module issue: Probably the best thing I can do for that is to use this thread to show off a good example of what it is, and then the question will be: "How best to do this?".
-----

I've read everything you've pointed me too, and more.  Please do point out more.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Images

https://stepmodifications.org/wiki/STEP:Game_Guide_Framework