After mistake, anneal not resolving underride

Hal900x

Question

Hello all,

I hope it's ok for a newbie to post here. It was the most relevant search result, so here I am. 

I am following the guide at https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/49898?tab=description and finding that the guide is anything but basic. Enough with the humorous asides.

After installing OSR, I installed Bev's INI tweaks which modifies the former. However, I failed to delete the folders that weren't related to OSR before installing. I therefore uninstalled Bev's in Wyre Bash, deleted the extraneous folders, and reinstalled. I got a popup which, intending to read, I somehow dismissed accidentally. Looking through my Oblivion folder structure, it looks like it was just a backup of the ini settings I removed, hopefully. Then I reinstalled Bevs in Wrye Bash. At that point, OSR turned yellow. According to the Wrye Bash general readme, this means there is an underride. OK, that makes sense..must be as a result of my messing about. I'll anneal OSR. Still yellow. Refreshed all the data, just in case...still yellow. This concerns me, as I'm discovering that a single misstep when you're not knowledgeable can lead to much suffering. What did I do wrong, and how might it be fixed?

6 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, z929669 said:

MO can run WB as a helper application. See the MO Guide for details: https://stepmodifications.org/wiki/Guide:Mod_Organizer#Wrye_Bash

You can open a wizard.txt to see what it's doing and replicate via MO.

Otherwise, it's just a matter of adding OBSE and TES4ALL to MO. No fast and simple instructions though for getting it all set up.

You can still use WB of course if it's easier in the end, but most guides leave out key details, which is why you are likely having issues. I would get MO set up with these basics first and launch your game to be certain it's working ... same if you are using WB.

I don't need fast and/or simple, I need comprehensive. That does not exist for Oblivion that I can find. The Morrowind guide I had for MO2 was absolutely unparalleled in this regard. In any case thank you for your help. 

If there is an underride, you probably need to reorder your mods in WB accordingly. Otherwise, uninstall/reinstall the conflicting mods in their proper order. Then you can try annealing.

Alternatively, you can use Mod Organizer instead. It does not have these problems, because there are actually no overwrites in MO, just overrides that can be corrected simply by changing the 'install' order. MO does not actually install mods into the data directory.

Changing to MO will likely not obviate the guide you are following. We have an unofficial Oblivion guide you can find on the wiki if you want to try that as well: Mythic Dawn. It may give you some ideas. MO allows you to create multiple coexistent builds without using additional space on your HDD.

13 minutes ago, z929669 said:

If there is an underride, you probably need to reorder your mods in WB accordingly. Otherwise, uninstall/reinstall the conflicting mods in their proper order. Then you can try annealing.

Alternatively, you can use Mod Organizer instead. It does not have these problems, because there are actually no overwrites in MO, just overrides that can be corrected simply by changing the 'install' order. MO does not actually install mods into the data directory.

Changing to MO will likely not obviate the guide you are following. We have an unofficial Oblivion guide you can find on the wiki if you want to try that as well: Mythic Dawn. It may give you some ideas. MO allows you to create multiple coexistent builds without using additional space on your HDD.

Oh yes, I seem to remember using a modding organizer for my Morrowind modding that used a virtual file system, would that be MO/MO2? I'm not entirely sure I'm willing to start over with those, only because I get paranoid about each and every step, and I've installed several things already with WB. But maybe you could advise me on that. 

My current mod order is the official DLCs that I cleaned with TES4Edit, followed by OSR and then the OSR tweaks. Assuming that the order starts with zero. Since we are talking load order, that guide recommends starting with a Vanilla loose files project as follows, but that vanilla project is now LAST in my load order. I sorted with LOOT, but it seems weird to me what I assume to be a backup is last in the hierarchy. Maybe it shouldn't actually be installed? Here's the text of the guide:

"I also recommend just making a vanilla loose files project in Wrye Bash Installers by right-clicking on the white header that says 'Package' in the top left, going to 'Files..' and selecting 'New Project...'. Untick 'Blank.esp', and name it something like 'Original Game Data'. Then, you can copy all of your vanilla loose files and folders to there, in case they get overwritten by other mods later. Mine has Music, Shaders, Textures and Video folders, and all of the vanilla DLC ESPs and Oblivion.esm. After that, right-click on the white header in the top left again and uncheck 'Skip Bethsoft Content'. Then, you can install the project."

and then later on:

"You can make a new BAIN project with all of the cleaned DLC ESPs in it, as a backup. Then, you can install this project after the previous one with the loose vanilla files. You can then uncheck the old, dirty vanilla DLC in the previous project in Plugin Filter."

which I did. 

LOOT isn't aware of all mods and definitely not customized mods. Whenever you repack a mod, LOOT won't recognize it. you need to move this mod to the top of your install  order after all main files and DLC. Then anneal. Worst case, you will need to uninstall all mods from WB and begin again but ONLY after checking that none of these mods has any relics in the data directory. WB used to be notorious for not uninstalling all files. Not sure if that has been fixed in recent versions.

Yes, MO2. I would seriously consider cleaning up your data directory. For that, this older guide should still be relevant. Then begin again. Consider using MO2, because it is much simpler to recover from these issues using that tool. All of the instructions you referenced are far more easily imnplemented with MO ... and without any chance of messing up your all-important data directory.

3 minutes ago, z929669 said:

LOOT isn't aware of all mods and definitely not customized mods. Whenever you repack a mod, LOOT won't recognize it. you need to move this mod to the top of your install  order after all main files and DLC. Then anneal. Worst case, you will need to uninstall all mods from WB and begin again but ONLY after checking that none of these mods has any relics in the data directory. WB used to be notorious for not uninstalling all files. Not sure if that has been fixed in recent versions.

Yes, MO2. I would seriously consider cleaning up your data directory. For that, this older guide should still be relevant. Then begin again. Consider using MO2, because it is much simpler to recover from these issues using that tool. All of the instructions you referenced are far more easily imnplemented with MO ... and without any chance of messing up your all-important data directory.

I think I will. It's been a year or so but the MO2 stuff will come easier to me having some experience with it, and virtualizing is a superior implementation and an amazing achievement to boot. I only have a handful of mods installed and I could even nuke and reinstall everything, including Oblivion, from scratch. One reason I used Wrye Bash was the author makes a few comments such as...

"No other mod manager can install a mod via a 'wizard.txt' file"

" If you wish to use Mod Organizer 2, you will still need Wrye Bash for its bashed patch feature."

"MO2 will also require more work to get OBSE and TES4LL up and running."

..if you would care to comment on those potential pitfalls. Everyone has their preferences and loyalties, but having said that A) you responded instantly with good advice and B) that guide is anything but basic for a beginner. In fact, it's frustrating that it's presented that way as the author assumes a huge amount of detailed knowledge that no beginner has and leaves out steps as a result. 

MO can run WB as a helper application. See the MO Guide for details: https://stepmodifications.org/wiki/Guide:Mod_Organizer#Wrye_Bash

You can open a wizard.txt to see what it's doing and replicate via MO.

Otherwise, it's just a matter of adding OBSE and TES4ALL to MO. No fast and simple instructions though for getting it all set up.

You can still use WB of course if it's easier in the end, but most guides leave out key details, which is why you are likely having issues. I would get MO set up with these basics first and launch your game to be certain it's working ... same if you are using WB.