Majestic Mountains (by T4gtr34um3r)

TechAngel85

Discussion topic:

Majestic Mountains by T4gtr34um3r

Wiki Link

z929669 - Vote to stick with lightside per screens posted below

Compares from z929669

Conditions: clear weather, all mod conditions used LODGen applicable to vanilla mountains, MM, MM Darkside, and MM Lightside (so LOD is specific to each of the four sets of screenshots)

TOD: noon

Coordinates (cow tamriel): Whiterun lookout tower WSW > 35 -16 > -33 -7 > -10 0

Mod build: Step 2.0.0 (dev)

Step (vanilla mountains)  >  MM  >  MM Darkside  >  MM Lightside

Load up imgbox gallery and cycle through all images to load them. Then use the arrow buttons to toggle back and forth. Images aren't a perfect overlay, due to slight variations in COW positioning but close enough. They can also be examined directly in the spoiler.

Spoiler

QygIN3Ma_o.jpg tXJS7Tct_o.jpg dLTH9tQC_o.jpg VdDzwDNQ_o.jpg

sWxWkxTP_o.jpg XreBkM7W_o.jpg NtTPwLxf_o.jpg qeYoMcDN_o.jpg

3dhkZTsR_o.jpg MpLDdldE_o.jpg IZNd1AX3_o.jpg 05yMRltE_o.jpg

0NFfjXmr_o.jpg p13XVGw3_o.jpg C1TdezGa_o.jpg VSz9dH4D_o.jpg

• 2 months later...

I have now tried all three color versions and this is my humble opinion.

Light is the most vanilla and is a bit to bright on my rig (as said in the STEP guide). But it is very much more like the scandinavian Granite where i live and that is nice. The brightness makes such things as dwemer buildings hard to see from a distance in sunny weather. Same goes with some snow effects.

Main file is to red and to far from what i think is Granite... although it is probably just my mind that just wants Skyrim mountains to be like the Granitie my eyes are used to.

Dark is the number one choise for me. It makes snow effects on the mountains stand out a bit and also makes constructions be more visible from far distances. Only problem with that... it is a bit wierd that the stone used for constructions seem to come from another part of Tamriel. But i can live with that for the better looks.

• +1 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have now tried all three color versions and this is my humble opinion.

Light is the most vanilla and is a bit to bright on my rig (as said in the STEP guide). But it is very much more like the scandinavian Granite where i live and that is nice. The brightness makes such things as dwemer buildings hard to see from a distance in sunny weather. Same goes with some snow effects.

Main file is to red and to far from what i think is Granite... although it is probably just my mind that just wants Skyrim mountains to be like the Granitie my eyes are used to.

Dark is the number one choise for me. It makes snow effects on the mountains stand out a bit and also makes constructions be more visible from far distances. Only problem with that... it is a bit wierd that the stone used for constructions seem to come from another part of Tamriel. But i can live with that for the better looks.

Your post convinced me to try out the Dark version and I have to say I completely agree with everything you've said. Every mountain in the game looks gorgeous now. I especially like how it affects the landscape in the snowier areas (such as Winterhold) where the color of the rock contrasts with the snow and ice. But you're also right that it is a bit jarring to see all that dark rock scattered around towns where the buildings are clearly made with a different material.

• +1 1

• 3 months later...

May be I missed something, in the current Optional file instructions - '...deactivated after. Name the file something like: "(TEMP) - Majestic Mountains - LODGen". Though later in LODgen and DYNDOLOD I didn't find when to deactivate it actually, and whether it's need to be deactivated.