Just Ice (by SparrowPrince)

TechAngel85

Following are compares Tech mentioned in his last. Note that I have DynDOLOD and all LOD gen deactivated so as not to bias.

STEP 0.3.0b without Just Ice (CL provides most ice)  >>  STEP 0.3.0b with Just Ice   >>  STEP 0.3.0b with Just Ice - 50% desaturated

[spoiler=Compares]

0Fn7Jx6W_o.png Jh3VYpd0_o.png JVTzJztX_o.png iZp2aJjh_o.png O5MWGpH9_o.png 6YXabTug_o.png yWSshZ4q_o.png Uqdz3ZIc_o.png qlQzn0Zt_o.png

Snow and ice just sucks in SSE. I hate them both, but still think blending is marginally better without Just Ice (and that Just Ice is marginally better than vanilla & CL ice in and of itself). Icelake tiling is horrific ... we need to ask the CL team if they could retex the icelake and marsh ice ... I looked up those refs, and the meshes make no sense ... icelake icicles and waterfalls are based on cloud nifs, and the marsh ice (not the broken ice) is based on fog nifs. Icelake looks like the iceflow nifs mostly, but some of those refs are also unexpected.

I wonder if a desaturated version would help...

It almost definitely would. I've actually been thinking about denaturation and essentially darkening the textures for Just Ice ... but the only problem as that mod only covers a part of the "problem ice". If you have a look at Glorious Glaciers, it covers more and overwrites all if not most of the vanilla stuff that is still messed up even without Just Ice (the stuff from SRO and vanilla).

I no longer have photoshop and am not set up for GFX editing yet.

• 2 years later...

I was curious if the Just Ice permissions had changed during or after 2021?  I was certain these were open or at least more lenient in the past.  Checking now though it says textures may not be used under any circumstances?

Edit:  Apparently so.  I pulled up an older cache of the nexus page and permissions used to be "You may use assets without asking if credit is given" to "You may not use these under any circumstances" currently...  I had already included these assets in a mod I put together back in 2021 when the permissions were open based on credit so not sure what I should do now? When were permissions locked down.

Edited by Soulmancer

46 minutes ago, Soulmancer said:

When were permissions locked down.

Use the Logs tab on the mod page. Direct link: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/9444?tab=logs

Then check 'Authors' Activity' for a history of admin changes.

May 2022

16 May 2022, 7:59AM | Action by: CaptainCockerel

Permission change

'Bug tracker disabled.

The mod page is not allowing comments.'

16 May 2022, 7:58AM | Action by: CaptainCockerel

Permission change

'Users can no longer convert this file.

Author changed their permission instructions.

Users must get permission before modifying this file.

Users must get permission before they can use assets from this file.'

March 2022

30 Mar 2022, 9:47AM | Action by: CaptainCockerel

Permission change

'Mod owner changed from TechAngel85 to SparrowPrince by Pickysaurus'

2 hours ago, Soulmancer said:

How does that retroactively impact/effect a mod that I released in 2021 which included those assets when permissions were still open?

You should just PM him about it. Asking us has no utility. TechAngel had been handling a bunch of his mods there for awhile, but SparrowPrince aka CaptainCockerel has been more active as of late.

20 hours ago, Soulmancer said:

How does that retroactively impact/effect a mod that I released in 2021 which included those assets when permissions were still open?

Your mod is still good. Sparrow nor myself would force mods to change due to old permissions being updated. Sparrow is now fully maintaining Just Ice so he's setting the permissions the way he wants. Most of his mods should remain the same, but the texture-only mods will likely all look like the new permissions that have been set for Just Ice.