DynDOLOD Beta for Skyrim Special Edition, Skyrim VR and Enderal SE 2.98

sheson

If the billboard txt files are missing, then the object bounds from the tree base record are used to determine the dimensions. It sometimes happen that the bounds are wrong.

If the txt files exists and sets width= but does set a depth=, add a new line setting depth to same value as the width.

I'm pleased to say your advice did the trick! Many thanks for that. It was a bit of a plod through the billboard texts adding the extra line, but the results justified the efforts!

Thank you!

Edited by Bluegunk

PS - I'm just sorting out using xLodGen so I might be on the path to sorting this...

May I please ask for some 'good practice' advice? 

In the past I've happily generated LOD but vanilla issues such as distance seams in water have been an irritant.

Here's what I mean:   https://i.postimg.cc/hv4bg35L/Water-seams.jpg 

I use Real Water 2, and regardless of using vanilla water or this mod, these distant seams occur. The same in other large bodies of water and the sea.

I believe they are a vanilla issue, and mods like RW2 only serve to show it up more.  

How should I best go about blending or hiding these seams? Can I use INI file adjustments? Achieve it through Dyndolod, or other mods? I'd like to get this right before running Dyndolod.

I've searched for advice but I think here might be the best place for an answer.

To be clear: I'm not talking about local seams caused by mods (Like TAWOBA)! I'm pretty much on top of those and familiar with them. I've also checked this Lakeview area for water variances.

Any guidance would be most helpful. Many thanks!

Edited by Bluegunk

PS - I'm just sorting out using xLodGen so I might be on the path to sorting this...

May I please ask for some 'good practice' advice? 

In the past I've happily generated LOD but vanilla issues such as distance seams in water have been an irritant.

Here's what I mean:   https://i.postimg.cc/hv4bg35L/Water-seams.jpg 

I use Real Water 2, and regardless of using vanilla water or this mod, these distant seams occur. The same in other large bodies of water and the sea.

I believe they are a vanilla issue, and mods like RW2 only serve to show it up more.  

How should I best go about blending or hiding these seams? Can I use INI file adjustments? Achieve it through Dyndolod, or other mods? I'd like to get this right before running Dyndolod.

I've searched for advice but I think here might be the best place for an answer.

To be clear: I'm not talking about local seams caused by mods (Like TAWOBA)! I'm pretty much on top of those and familiar with them. I've also checked this Lakeview area for water variances.

Any guidance would be most helpful. Many thanks!

DynDOLOD generates tree and object LOD.

Cell water is part of terrain LOD. The water record used water LOD is defined on the worldspace record. Active cells can each have their own water record or use the default one from the worldspace record, however water LOD can only ever have that one record for the entire worldspace.

The terrain LOD meshes define where the LOD water planes are. The water LOD shader that defines how it actually looks is applied in game.

Consequently, LOD generation does not change how LOD water looks or vice versa, the LOD water record defined on the worldspace record does not affect LOD generation.

Edited by sheson

DynDOLOD generates tree and object LOD.

Cell water is part of terrain LOD. The water record used water LOD is defined on the worldspace record. Active cells can each have their own water record or use the default one from the worldspace record, however water LOD can only ever have that one record for the entire worldspace.

The terrain LOD meshes define where the LOD water planes are. The water LOD shader that defines how it actually looks is applied in game.

Consequently, LOD generation does not change how LOD water looks or vice versa, the LOD water record defined on the worldspace record does not affect LOD generation.

Thank you. Yes, I forgot Dyndolod is the bits and pieces.  I've since generated terrain and water LOD using xLODGEN but I still have the distant seams.  

Even on a vanilla game I get these 'patches' where the water detail and vanilla flow appear to change in a line with distance from player.

Perhaps these can't be changed. Thanks for your help!

Thank you. Yes, I forgot Dyndolod is the bits and pieces.  I've since generated terrain and water LOD using xLODGEN but I still have the distant seams.  

Even on a vanilla game I get these 'patches' where the water detail and vanilla flow appear to change in a line with distance from player.

Perhaps these can't be changed. Thanks for your help!

If both cell water and LOD water use the same water record it should be pretty identical, usually. In any case, it is not anything that can be affected by LOD generation or vice versa.

If both cell water and LOD water use the same water record it should be pretty identical, usually. In any case, it is not anything that can be affected by LOD generation or vice versa.

I've completed all my Lodding again (and it all went well, thank you for the tools you kindly provide).

I waded through SSEEdit and compared any conflicting water records, but after a while my eyes started to melt. RW2 is at the end of my load order and wins, and I can't see any discrepancy over Skyrim and Update, and I lost the will to live after multiple columns.

I have the variations in height caused by mod author actions all accounted for, so I don't get those mod-caused seams.

Please don't waste any of your time on this; I was really looking for advice and you have kindly provided that thank you!

• 1 month later...
I am having a problem when I run TexGenx64 and DynDOLODx64 through MO2.

They can't find their way to Skyrim.ini

I have the Official Skyrim Special Edition installed (Steam License)

I read everything about SSE in the Doc folder, read many forums on this topic, watched many videos on this topic, but still I don't understand what the problem is.

Here's what it produces after launch:

TexGenx64:

[00:00:00.067] TexGen based on xEdit x64 (B36E76A3) starting session 2020-11-28 19:26:35

[00:00:00.091] Game Mode: SSE

[00:00:00.108] Game Name: Skyrim Special Edition

[00:00:00.126] Using Skyrim Special Edition Data Path: C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\

[00:00:00.145] Using Backup Path: C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\SSEEdit Backups\

[00:00:00.163] Using Scripts Path: C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\

[00:00:00.181] Using Cache Path: C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\cache\

[00:00:00.201] Using Temp Path: C:\Users\kolma\AppData\Local\Temp\SSEEdit\

[00:00:00.220] Using ini: ઈ\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\Skyrim.ini

[00:00:00.251] Fatal: Could not find ini ઈ\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\Skyrim.ini

DynDOLODx64:

Fatal: Could not determine my documents folder

[00:00:00.065] DynDOLOD based on xEdit x64 (FB4486DF) starting session 2020-11-28 19:25:01

[00:00:00.085] Game Mode: SSE

[00:00:00.105] Game Name: Skyrim Special Edition

[00:00:00.122] Using Skyrim Special Edition Data Path: C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\

[00:00:00.140] Using Backup Path: 

[00:00:00.158] Using Scripts Path: C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\

[00:00:00.177] Using Cache Path: 

[00:00:00.196] Using Temp Path: C:\Users\kolma\AppData\Local\Temp\SSEEdit\

[00:00:00.218] Using ini: 

[00:00:00.236] Fatal: Could not find ini 

Please help me figure out what the problem is. :confusion:  :confusion:  :confusion:  :confusion:  :confusion:  :confusion:  :confusion: 

Edited by Amatiil

I am having a problem when I run TexGenx64 and DynDOLODx64 through MO2.
They can't find their way to Skyrim.ini
I have the Official Skyrim Special Edition installed (Steam License)
I read everything about SSE in the Doc folder, read many forums on this topic, watched many videos on this topic, but still I don't understand what the problem is.

Here's what it produces after launch:

TexGenx64:

[00:00:00.067] TexGen based on xEdit x64 (B36E76A3) starting session 2020-11-28 19:26:35
[00:00:00.091] Game Mode: SSE
[00:00:00.108] Game Name: Skyrim Special Edition
[00:00:00.126] Using Skyrim Special Edition Data Path: C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\
[00:00:00.145] Using Backup Path: C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\SSEEdit Backups\
[00:00:00.163] Using Scripts Path: C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\
[00:00:00.181] Using Cache Path: C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\cache\
[00:00:00.201] Using Temp Path: C:\Users\kolma\AppData\Local\Temp\SSEEdit\
[00:00:00.220] Using ini: ઈ\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\Skyrim.ini
[00:00:00.251] Fatal: Could not find ini ઈ\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\Skyrim.ini

DynDOLODx64:

Fatal: Could not determine my documents folder

[00:00:00.065] DynDOLOD based on xEdit x64 (FB4486DF) starting session 2020-11-28 19:25:01
[00:00:00.085] Game Mode: SSE
[00:00:00.105] Game Name: Skyrim Special Edition
[00:00:00.122] Using Skyrim Special Edition Data Path: C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\
[00:00:00.140] Using Backup Path: 
[00:00:00.158] Using Scripts Path: C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\
[00:00:00.177] Using Cache Path: 
[00:00:00.196] Using Temp Path: C:\Users\kolma\AppData\Local\Temp\SSEEdit\
[00:00:00.218] Using ini: 
[00:00:00.236] Fatal: Could not find ini 

Please help me figure out what the problem is. :confusion:  :confusion:  :confusion:  :confusion:  :confusion:  :confusion:  :confusion: 

Read the error messages, which say that xEdit/xLODGen/DynDOLOD can not find the standard Windows Documents\My Games\ folder and thus could not find the Skyrim.INI

On normal Windows installations it would be c:\Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\

Programs use a standard Windows function (SHGetSpecialFolderPath) to retrieve the actual paths of such standard system folders.

Could also be because of Windows UAC, AntiVir or some other crapware blocking access.

It is possible that it can not find the folder because of special foreign characters in the username. If that is the case, test what happens when starting latest SSEdit 4.0.3 from https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/164

Though it has no problem finding the AppData folder...

Read the install instructions in the included manual again. They state to not install DynDOLOD into game or Steam folders:

From the DynDOLOD Standalone archive copy the content of the 'DynDOLOD' folder, which contains the files DynDOLOD.exe, TexGen.exe, DynDOLOD_QuickStart.html and the sub folders 'Docs' and 'Edit Scripts' with all their content into a new 'DynDOLOD' folder outside of special OS folders like 'Programs Files' or 'Program Files (x86)', the SteamApps or game folders and Mod Organizers virtual file structure. Do not mix with old versions or xEdit/xLODGen installation.

Edited by sheson

Just curious - now that "No Grass in Objects" has been released with extended grass draw distances, do you think something better could be done via Dyndolod (or Lodgen) instead?  If Dyndolod/Lodgen is aware of worldspace landscape textures, then maybe it could read the grass plugin to see which grass textures belong to each landscape texture in the worldspace and then use a simple billboard mesh system like tree billboards to add them dynamically?  I think it could be a lot more performance friendly than the "No grass in Objects" plugin since billboards have fewer vertices than entire grass meshes, and one could perhaps set a lower density for grass billboards than for real grass models in loaded cells.  

Happy Thanksgiving!

Just curious - now that "No Grass in Objects" has been released with extended grass draw distances, do you think something better could be done via Dyndolod (or Lodgen) instead?  If Dyndolod/Lodgen is aware of worldspace landscape textures, then maybe it could read the grass plugin to see which grass textures belong to each landscape texture in the worldspace and then use a simple billboard mesh system like tree billboards to add them dynamically?  I think it could be a lot more performance friendly than the "No grass in Objects" plugin since billboards have fewer vertices than entire grass meshes, and one could perhaps set a lower density for grass billboards than for real grass models in loaded cells.  

Happy Thanksgiving!

Already working on it.

Hi, Sheson
Having trouble running DynDOLOD with Project Rainforest. Here's what happens:
- if I run Texgen with PR's "DynDOLOD Files" active, it issues a message saying there are already Texgen files in my build and that may cause issues, but TexGen runs OK. DynDOLOD, however, crashed with a bugreport pointing to a texture that is, in fact, included in Project Rainforest's DynDOLOD files (I don't know how to post files here on STEP but I can send them over discord).
- if I do NOT add PR's "DynDOLOD Files", both TexGen and DynDOLOD will run and the result will be a LOD where distant snow and ice are still present.
- I'm currently trying to run TexGen without PR's files, and add those afterwards overriding TexGen.

Is there a known issue regarding Project Rainforest? Or could it be that my build is simply too large? I also have Beyond Reach, Rigmor of Bruma, Rigmor of Cyrodiil, Vigilant, Project AHO, Midwood Isle, Maids II, Wyrmstooth, Falskaar - to mention only those that I think add large worldspaces. If it's too much to handle, would it help if I disabled large references? What would be the down side - would I no longer see the College of Winterhold from Solitude and vice-versa?
Thanks

Edit: when I edited this post I found the way to add files

bugreport.txt

Edited by godescalcus

Further on my previous post.

I was able to run Dyndolod after I did the following:

ran Skyrim through the launcher because after posting I found another error message that I attach to this post;

set IgnoreLargeReferences=1 in DynDOLOD_SSE.ini (skyrimprefs.ini setting was already =5);

disabled Project Rainforest's DynDOLOD files while running TexGen, then enabled them and placed them below texgen_output in MO2 before running DynDOLOD.

So, it wasn't brilliant as troubleshooting goes, because now I don't know which of the three fixed my issue, but it's fixed. I now have a whopping 10Gb of Dyndolod files to add.

I'm running DynDOLOD 2.87 and resources 2.85 from the nexus SSE page, with MO2 and using TreeFullFallBack=0.

post-11136-0-89250900-1606650039_thumb.png

Edited by godescalcus

Hi, Sheson

Having trouble running DynDOLOD with Project Rainforest. Here's what happens:

- if I run Texgen with PR's "DynDOLOD Files" active, it issues a message saying there are already Texgen files in my build and that may cause issues, but TexGen runs OK. DynDOLOD, however, crashed with a bugreport pointing to a texture that is, in fact, included in Project Rainforest's DynDOLOD files (I don't know how to post files here on STEP but I can send them over discord).

- if I do NOT add PR's "DynDOLOD Files", both TexGen and DynDOLOD will run and the result will be a LOD where distant snow and ice are still present.

- I'm currently trying to run TexGen without PR's files, and add those afterwards overriding TexGen.

Is there a known issue regarding Project Rainforest? Or could it be that my build is simply too large? I also have Beyond Reach, Rigmor of Bruma, Rigmor of Cyrodiil, Vigilant, Project AHO, Midwood Isle, Maids II, Wyrmstooth, Falskaar - to mention only those that I think add large worldspaces. If it's too much to handle, would it help if I disabled large references? What would be the down side - would I no longer see the College of Winterhold from Solitude and vice-versa?

Thanks

Edit: when I edited this post I found the way to add files

If TexGen says that there are already TexGen textures in the load, that really does mean that 1) there are already texture from a earlier TexGen run in the load order and 2) it really would be best if they were removed first. If they are included in the main BSA, that could be a bit difficult.

The error from the bugreport is Executing TexConv returned error C0000142 when trying to read textures\lod\skyhavendetails01lod.dds

This could be a permission problem, maybe outdated visual runtime etc.

Run Texconv from a command directly, see if that works.

Further on my previous post.

I was able to run Dyndolod after I did the following:

ran Skyrim through the launcher because after posting I found another error message that I attach to this post;

set IgnoreLargeReferences=1 in DynDOLOD_SSE.ini (skyrimprefs.ini setting was already =5);

disabled Project Rainforest's DynDOLOD files while running TexGen, then enabled them and placed them below texgen_output in MO2 before running DynDOLOD.

So, it wasn't brilliant as troubleshooting goes, because now I don't know which of the three fixed my issue, but it's fixed. I now have a whopping 10Gb of Dyndolod files to add.

I'm running DynDOLOD 2.87 and resources 2.85 from the nexus SSE page, with MO2 and using TreeFullFallBack=0.

Please read the message of the image you posted. It says you started DynDOLOD in TES5 mode.

Edited by sheson

Thanks - it seems, from your reply and my results, that removing Project Rainforest's "DynDOLOD Files" prior to runnint TexGen may have been the actual fix. 

Please read the message of the image you posted. It says you started DynDOLOD in TES5 mode.

I did notice that but dismissed it as non relevant. My bad, but it wouldn't occur to me that I could be running in TES5 mode because I always start DynDOLOD from the same MO2 shortcut that has the correct arguments... Not kidding. Something strange happened on that run. Maybe system wise - in a previous run it had also stopped but I was watching youtube videos at the same time and at some point the browser said out of memory, a popup message also appeared saying out of memory and the PC ground to a halt before I was able to close DynDOLOD. On that run I posted about, i had made sure DynDOLOD was the only process actively running and left it running overnight, along with MouseJiggle to prevent windows from going to sleep. But there's still a chance my problem was of a more "random" nature, system related...

post-11136-0-24802100-1606658658_thumb.png

Edited by godescalcus

Thanks - it seems, from your reply and my results, that removing Project Rainforest's "DynDOLOD Files" prior to runnint TexGen may have been the actual fix. 

I did notice that but dismissed it as non relevant. My bad, but it wouldn't occur to me that I could be running in TES5 mode because I always start DynDOLOD from the same MO2 shortcut that has the correct arguments... Not kidding. Something strange happened on that run. Maybe system wise - in a previous run it had also stopped but I was watching youtube videos at the same time and at some point the browser said out of memory, a popup message also appeared saying out of memory and the PC ground to a halt before I was able to close DynDOLOD. On that run I posted about, i had made sure DynDOLOD was the only process actively running and left it running overnight, along with MouseJiggle to prevent windows from going to sleep. But there's still a chance my problem was of a more "random" nature, system related...

If you want to check what MO2 executes, best to check its log.

Let Windows handle page file/virtual memory.