DynDOLOD Beta for Skyrim Special Edition, Skyrim VR and Enderal SE 2.98

sheson

I had to deactivate Dyndolod for now to play so that was why it wasn't in my modlist, Open cities also hadn't been sorted properly because I had just deactivated and reactivated it during the 2 step method at the time of posting. As of right now, I'm using the BethINI recommended settings but I was having the same issues with default INI settings. I'm not seeing any errors or problems with the LOD itself or the script log, just the strange effect it has on my framerate. I haven't disabled specific LOD types yet, I'll do that and see what kind of results I can get over the next few days.

I recorded an example of the difference if you are interested, the normal framerate without DynDOLOD begins at 4:44
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xed6CEqgunU&t=20s

Also the updated Modwatch with DynDOLOD active and Open Cities sorted in its proper spot

https://modwat.ch/u/agodelianshock/plugins

Edited by agodelianshock

I had to deactivate Dyndolod for now to play so that was why it wasn't in my modlist, Open cities also hadn't been sorted properly because I had just deactivated and reactivated it during the 2 step method at the time of posting. As of right now, I'm using the BethINI recommended settings but I was having the same issues with default INI settings. I'm not seeing any errors or problems with the LOD itself or the script log, just the strange effect it has on my framerate. I haven't disabled specific LOD types yet, I'll do that and see what kind of results I can get over the next few days.

I recorded an example of the difference if you are interested, the normal framerate without DynDOLOD begins at 4:44

Also the updated Modwatch with DynDOLOD active and Open Cities sorted in its proper spot

https://modwat.ch/u/agodelianshock/plugins

If a user reports "game will freeze up every 5-10 seconds", I would expect to see a video where the player stands still and something happens in said time interval. If something happens because of running around and panning the camera and the game loading stuff, then it happens because of that and not because time passed.

Edited by sheson

Okay this one should have a better testing methodology. I was worried about it not being visible, but you can see the waterfall hitching and stopping while standing completely still with DynDOLOD active whereas it flows at a constant rate when I have it deactivated in my load order. Both tests are 2 minutes long until the camera switches to the idle 3rd person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El7PmEmVe5c

Edited by agodelianshock

Okay this one should have a better testing methodology. I was worried about it not being visible, but you can see the waterfall hitching and stopping while standing completely still with DynDOLOD active whereas it flows at a constant rate when I have it deactivated in my load order. Both tests are 2 minutes long until the camera switches to the idle 3rd person.

Why not troubleshoot the LOD mod you created by disabling the different LOD types?

I had been hoping that it was a common and easily diagnosed issue before I began running it for each possible LOD type. I'm still getting familiar with the LOD system and DynDOLOD program as a whole so I've been cautious about messing with the mesh rules.

It is not a common but it will be easy to diagnose by simply disabling static LODs with tll in console, then dynamic LOD in DynDOLODs MCM to know which is the source and then continue form there.

Ah I see, okay I've tried both using tll and deactivating DynDOLOD in the MCM but the issue still persists using both methods individually and even with both off at the same time. That seems to rule out a bad LOD, or performance issues due to LOD. I also did the same with the large reference grid later, but the stuttering continues even with all 3 turned off separately as well as together.

Edited by agodelianshock

Ah I see, okay I've tried both using tll and deactivating DynDOLOD in the MCM but the issue still persists using both methods individually and even with both off at the same time. That seems to rule out a bad LOD, or performance issues due to LOD. I also did the same with the large reference grid later, but the stuttering continues even with all 3 turned off separately as well as together.

Next obvious troubleshooting steps would be to not enable DynDOLOD.esp to test what happens, then not enable DynDOLOD.esm and test what happens.

Then hide  meshes\terrain\tamriel\objects\ test what happens, then hide meshes\terrain\tamriel\trees\ and test what happens.

So disabling the .esp or the .esm didn't work. I went to hide the meshes\...objects and trees folders but because I installed through MO2 my Skyrim SE install doesn't have a meshes or texture folder generated, I just have the .bsa files that you'd get from a clean install and the Scripts, ShaderCache, Interface, and Video folders. I can't seem to find a way to do that through the MO2 Data tab either.

So disabling the .esp or the .esm didn't work. I went to hide the meshes\...objects and trees folders but because I installed through MO2 my Skyrim SE install doesn't have a meshes or texture folder generated, I just have the .bsa files that you'd get from a clean install and the Scripts, ShaderCache, Interface, and Video folders. I can't seem to find a way to do that through the MO2 Data tab either.

If you need help how to use MO read its manual or ask on its forum/discord. Obviously, files and folders can be modified in the mod folders.

Thank you for your help so far on this, truly worth the firstborn. I went to the MO discord and found it can only be done manually so I got some help and did it that way. The objects folder runs smooth as butter, but it seems to be something in the trees folder causing the issue.

Thank you for your help so far on this, truly worth the firstborn. I went to the MO discord and found it can only be done manually so I got some help and did it that way. The objects folder runs smooth as butter, but it seems to be something in the trees folder causing the issue.

Do you not have SSE Engine Fixes installed to fix the tree LOD FPS issue?

I do have both SSE Engine Fixes and SSE Fixes. I did a reinstall just to make sure they weren't out of date or installed incorrectly but both seem to be working fine. The issue still persists.

Why do you have both? See if only using SSE Engine Fixes, which contains the same fix as SSE Fixes, make a difference.

To be sure. The issue does not exist when hiding the meshes\terrain\tamriel\trees\ folder?

What happens if you don't hide that folder and...

... instead lower the tree LOD distance in the DynDOLOD Skyui MCM Settings page?

... instead hide textures\terrain\tamriel\trees\? Tree LOD will obviously look all wrong, but what about the issue itself?

I managed to solve the problem, I did a few things so I'm not entirely positive what the root cause was. I uninstalled SSE fixes in favor of Engine Fixes. I removed Skyrim 3D trees and did a reinstall of that plus all related LODs and billboards. I also downloaded SSE Display Tweaks which is probably unrelated. More than likely there was some problem with 3D trees, I believe the author did an update very recently for performance and technical reasons so it seems like that may have been the cause. I am now running DynDOLOD on high with 4k texture packs smoothly at 60fps with little to no stutter or frame dips. Thank you so much for taking the time to help. Do you have a place where I could toss a few bucks your way or towards something you support?

Edited by agodelianshock