xLODGen - Terrain LOD beta 111 for FNV, FO3, FO4, FO4VR, TES5, SSE, TES5VR, ENDERAL, ENDERALSE

sheson

1 hour ago, ntluan_vn said:

I just want to run xLODGen for the Whiterun tundra area. So how do I set it up?
Thank you

https://i.postimg.cc/PrYgYb0K/xLODGen.png

If you only want to generate for specific LOD quads (files),  put the LOD level and the lower left cell coordinates of the quad into the specific chunk fields. If you leave the dropdown "empty" all levels for the coordinates will be generated. The coordinates need to match LOD quads steps of 4, 8, 16, 32.

You can get those the numbers from the LOD meshes/textures filenames for example, the DynDOLOD SkyUI You are here or use the maps posted here https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/2251/

LOD quads do not coincide with regions or locations though.

• Like 1

Okay, I'm a newbie when it comes to LOD generation, and I messed something up doing it for FNV. Not sure what information is valuable, as I did a lot of troubleshooting myself, but the simple problem is that my LOD is gone in-game. After my first time generating I lost all of it. I tried putting the files in a mod folder and installing it via mod manager, but no luck. I even tried manually placing the generated files into their respective locations to no success. If you need any information I'd love to place it here, just remember I am completely new, so I imagine the issue is a super easy fix. any help is much appreciated

6 hours ago, Pho_King said:

Okay, I'm a newbie when it comes to LOD generation, and I messed something up doing it for FNV. Not sure what information is valuable, as I did a lot of troubleshooting myself, but the simple problem is that my LOD is gone in-game. After my first time generating I lost all of it. I tried putting the files in a mod folder and installing it via mod manager, but no luck. I even tried manually placing the generated files into their respective locations to no success. If you need any information I'd love to place it here, just remember I am completely new, so I imagine the issue is a super easy fix. any help is much appreciated

Check the xLODGen log (FNVLODGen_log.txt) for warning and error messages.

16 hours ago, sheson said:

Check the xLODGen log (FNVLODGen_log.txt) for warning and error messages.

I'm getting a couple of recurring errors here, all relating to meshes these three descriptors appear at various points

LODGen: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown

LODGen: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.

LODGenx64: Header checksum illegal

LODGenx64: Array dimensions exceeded supported range.

Hope this is the kind of thing you're looking for. I'm getting a LOT of these specific errors. I attached my entire file, if that's not too presumptuous of me

LODGen_log.txt

7 hours ago, Pho_King said:

I'm getting a couple of recurring errors here, all relating to meshes these three descriptors appear at various points

LODGen: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown

LODGen: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.

LODGenx64: Header checksum illegal

LODGenx64: Array dimensions exceeded supported range.

Hope this is the kind of thing you're looking for. I'm getting a LOT of these specific errors. I attached my entire file, if that's not too presumptuous of me

LODGen_log.txt 89.13 kB · 0 downloads

Always use the x64 version.

There seems to be a problem with BSA file(s) contain terrain LOD meshes.

Verify the BSA files are valid and that the tools are not preventing from reading the by the OS, UAV, antivir.

Can't start it from MO. Xedit, bodyslide run but not Fo4lodgen64. Don't generate any log. It start outside MO. Run it outside protected folder on a dedicated m2 SSD.

I'm on the xlod85... 

and im on fresh win 11 

Yeah seems to be OS related my dyndolod on my old SE installation don't work anymore.

Yeah it come from my AV please ignore. Its resolved

Edited by beurp99

Hi Sheson,

Thank you so much for this mod! I'm trying to set up xLODGen without using MO2, but have scoured the web to no avail. :( Currently I have xLODGen set up by doing the following:

• Extracted xLODGen to a different drive on my computer (not my game's drive)
  • Changed xLODGen64 file name to read SSELODGenx64.exe
  • Created a desktop shortcut to SSELODGenx64.exe
  • Changed the Target: field from the shortcut's Properties window to: F:\xLODGen\SSELODGenx64.exe -o:"F:\xLODGen\SSELODGen_Output"
  • Hit Apply

Should xLODGenx64 now be set up output all generated files to F:\xLODGen\SSELODGen_Output with the steps I outlined above?  Sorry if this is a dumb question, I've never used command line arguments before!  Thanks in advance for your time!

Spoiler

bzJMniW.png

Edited by dzee349

3 hours ago, dzee349 said:

Hi Sheson,

Thank you so much for this mod! I'm trying to set up xLODGen without using MO2, but have scoured the web to no avail. :( Currently I have xLODGen set up by doing the following:

• Extracted xLODGen to a different drive on my computer (not my game's drive)
  • Changed xLODGen64 file name to read SSELODGenx64.exe
  • Created a desktop shortcut to SSELODGenx64.exe
  • Changed the Target: field from the shortcut's Properties window to: F:\xLODGen\SSELODGenx64.exe -o:"F:\xLODGen\SSELODGen_Output"
  • Hit Apply

Should xLODGenx64 now be set up output all generated files to F:\xLODGen\SSELODGen_Output with the steps I outlined above?  Sorry if this is a dumb question, I've never used command line arguments before!  Thanks in advance for your time!

Does xLODGen not start in SSE game mode or does it not output the LOD files to F:\xLODGen\SSELODGen_Output when starting from the short cut?

You should be using a proper mod manager like MO2. Especially if not knowing basic computer things like command line parameters.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/understanding-command-line-arguments-and-how-to-use-them/

3 hours ago, sheson said:

Does xLODGen not start in SSE game mode or does it not output the LOD files to F:\xLODGen\SSELODGen_Output when starting from the short cut?

You should be using a proper mod manager like MO2. Especially if not knowing basic computer things like command line parameters.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/understanding-command-line-arguments-and-how-to-use-them/

Thanks!! xLODGen starts perfectly in SSE game mod but I have not tried outputting the files yet because my understanding is that if the output folder is not specified correctly then xLODGen by default will output to SSE’s game folder which is not good/ is irreversible. :( Do I have that right?

Thank you for the tip about MO2, I use a mod manager but haven’t transitioned to MO2 yet because of my longer mod list.

Edited by dzee349

9 minutes ago, dzee349 said:

Thanks!! xLODGen starts perfectly in SSE game mod but I have not tried outputting the files yet because my understanding is that if the output folder is not specified correctly then xLODGen by default will output to SSE’s game folder which is not good/ is irreversible. :( Do I have that right?

Thank you for the tip about MO2, I use a mod manager but haven’t transitioned to MO2 yet because of my longer mod list.

Correct, generating into the default game folder will replace loose files in case they exist already.

Once you start generating LOD, the message window will print line(s) where it outputs the files.

On 2/17/2018 at 1:52 PM, sheson said:

This is a beta of a never version of FNVLODGen (and the other listed games) and eventually this update will make it to the official Nexus pages of FNVLODGen (and the others).

Instead of using pre-made LOD mods, you can use this to create (hi-res) terrain meshes/textures for the current load order yourself.

xLODGen is generally easier to use and much quicker than GECK/CK/Oscape and can produce much, (even way too much) higher quality results.

Is this still the case?

Is it still in "Beta" version? 

as a side note, if it matters, I have no issues generating my LOD using xLODGen, and it generates LOD much faster than the FNVLODGen on Nexus, for reasons unbeknownst to me. 

But that page has not been updated in a long time, and was posted (05 June 2018) after this thread (February 16, 2018) in the forum, so I'm wondering if there are any plans for this version.

21 minutes ago, VeritableCactus said:

Is this still the case?

Is it still in "Beta" version? 

as a side note, if it matters, I have no issues generating my LOD using xLODGen, and it generates LOD much faster than the FNVLODGen on Nexus, for reasons unbeknownst to me. 

But that page has not been updated in a long time, and was posted (05 June 2018) after this thread (February 16, 2018) in the forum, so I'm wondering if there are any plans for this version.

The page has last been updated when I posted the link to xLODGen beta 85  download archive a month ago.

7 hours ago, sheson said:

The page has last been updated when I posted the link to xLODGen beta 85  download archive a month ago.

Oh, alright. So this as of now is the newest version? 

I didn't know since the first page has only one date, and that dates back to when I reckon this thread was first created. Thought each update would be noted by the website.

Thanks for the response, also great work.

1 hour ago, VeritableCactus said:

Oh, alright. So this as of now is the newest version? 

I didn't know since the first page has only one date, and that dates back to when I reckon this thread was first created. Thought each update would be noted by the website.

Thanks for the response, also great work.

The first post always links to the latest beta.

• 4 weeks later...

i get a consistent CTD in game after i rendered terrain LOD with the extremely experimental version of xLODGen 4.14 for FO4.

The only logfile i have on this crash is from Buffout 4;
E:\Repos\f4se\Buffout4\src\Warnings\CreateTexture2DWarning.cpp(60): [critical] A call to ID3D11Device::CreateTexture2D failed with error code 0x80070057. This will crash the game.

If i remove the textures created for the terrain by putting them temporarily in a separate folder the game doesn't know the game starts fine with the rendered LODChunks from the terrain, ofcourse without the new textures.

Also, the object LOD doesn't use the texture files specified in the lod material and lod meshes that are referred to by my esp file.
the regular version of FO4Editx64 renamed to FO4LODGenx64 does use those specified textures correctly.
But it can't do terrain ofcourse.

Also, the ability to choose plugins that you want to enable/disable in the regular xEdit is very convenient too.
having to do that all in a mod manager before you open up xLODGen is a drag, especially since i use a very rudimentary mod manager, cause all the fancy ones are more a nuisance cause they have badly written mod install routines, so i always install mods by hand, that way i'm sure files get placed in the right directories.
The downside is that the simple mod manager doesn't have mod profiles you can enable/disable.
So if you could implement that (enable/disable plugins on load), that would be cool.

But right now, the extremely experimental version sadly doesn't produce a workable result for me.
It doesn't read the loose texturefiles and materials for objects and treelod (3d treelod) it looks like, it looks like it gets the stuff needed only from the ba2 files.
the regular version uses the loose files first.
So i'll still have to use CK for terrain i guess.

Edited by Marcurios