xLODGen - Terrain LOD beta 110 for FNV, FO3, FO4, FO4VR, TES5, SSE, TES5VR, ENDERAL, ENDERALSE

sheson

Are you saying the same CELL x,y coordinate is defined twice in different plugins with different form IDs for these worldspaces or only once, but some are in a different plugin? AFAIK that is should not ever happen.

Send me plugin in question so I can investigate and maybe try to determine what default / cell water/terrain to use. 

So the CK load index was

[0] Skyrim.esm

[1] BSAssets.esm

[2] BSHeartland.esm

Cells up to Y: -80 are indexed as 02XXXXXX - as expected.

Once I went south of that, the cells had an id of 03XXXXXX

I've pinged you on Discord if that's an easier way for me to send you the files. 

We found out it was the same problem you and Zanderat had. So just using the latest version fixed it ;)

Oh, funny. I had flashbacks looking at Picky's screenshots, but my initial thought was that BS Bruma had some corrupted terrain LOD records because they did include valid LOD but did not want others to recreate it in order to protect unfinished projects and stuff.

Why does SSELODGen make the terrain darker than the loaded cell terrain? I know you can use the adjusted noise.dds to fix this, but why is it even necessary (and why is the original vanilla noise.dds darker)?

Edited by drift123

Why does SSELODGen make the terrain darker than the loaded cell terrain? I know you can use the adjusted noise.dds to fix this, but why is it even necessary (and why is the original vanilla noise.dds darker)?

As explained before, xLODGen does not make the terrain textures darker or brighter than the textures in the loaded cells unless brightness, contrast or gamma are set. The Skyrim game engine does.

Okay, the reason I'm asking is because when using a mod like 'HD Enhanced Terrain', this mod adds a custom noise file to make distant terrain look more realistic. It works with vanilla LOD, however, when I generate LOD and then use this noise file, the terrain and especially the snow is too dark. If I brighten up this mod's noise file much of the effect's detail is lost.

Could this be resolved simply by increasing the brightness of LOD generated in SSELODGen? Does the game engine uniformly darken all types of LOD terrain (snow, grass, water)? Thanks

Edited by drift123

Okay, the reason I'm asking is because when using a mod like 'HD Enhanced Terrain', this mod adds a custom noise file to make distant terrain look more realistic. It works with vanilla LOD, however, when I generate LOD and then use this noise file, the terrain and especially the snow is too dark. If I brighten up this mod's noise file much of the effect's detail is lost.

Could this be resolved simply by increasing the brightness of LOD generated in SSELODGen? Does the game engine uniformly darken all types of LOD terrain (snow, grass, water)? Thanks

Unless someone looks at the source code of the game/CK we will not know what exactly was done to mess up the vanilla terrain LOD textures. It may help to compare this to any of the Fallout engines, which do not have this problem. I am assuming the noise texture is just making pixels darker or brighter, but I might be wrong.

xLODGen has brightness, contrast and gamma modifiers for the diffuse terrain LOD texture generation so it can create terrain LOD textures that exhibit the same behavior/problems like the vanilla/CK textures.

Also, do you know what brightness setting in SSELODGen would offset the darkness created by the game engine?

I have not tested which exact settings to use to achieve that, but you may want to start with a high contrast of 50 or 75 for tests.

Edited by sheson

This is Veydosebrom Spring + SSELODGen (contrast 60) + DynDOLOD + HD Enhanced Terrain (modified noise.dds). May switch back to golden grass and terrain but its looking pretty nice. Thanks for these excellent mods.

UJdGvDg.jpg

VLz2LHW.jpg

Looks great. If I ever complete the grass baking, a strong noise texture to fake detail/grass won't be needed anymore, hopefully.