Modern Brawl Bug Fix (by Enai Siaion)

Greg

Discussion thread:

Modern Brawl Bug Fix by Enai Siaion

Wiki Link

Description from the mod page:

Brawls are poorly implemented in Skyrim. Any magic effects applied to either participant will cancel the brawl and may cause the opponent to pull out their weapon. Depending on your load order, you may experience the infamous "Brawl Bug" that prevents you from completing any brawls.

Most people are familiar with the popular Brawl Bugs Patch. Unfortunately, it is several years old and some users are still suffering from the brawl bug anyway due to several errors in its implementation. It also has the potential to generate significant script load. Because its permissions do not allow redistribution, I made an improved fix from scratch.

This mod replaces the Brawl Bugs Patch.

What does this mod do?

The Modern Brawl Bug Fix updates the following 9 scripts. In the vanilla game, brawls (and certain other controlled combat scenarios) are cancelled when either participant is struck by a magic effect. This mod updates these events to trigger only when a participant is struck by a weapon (except fists), hostile spell, shout or scroll.

• MQSkyHavenSparring: BladesSparringScript
  • CompanionsSingleCombatQuest: CompanionsSingleCombatantScript
  • MS11: MS11CalixtoScript
  • C00: C00VilkasScript
  • C00VilkasTrainingQuest: C00TrainerScript
  • DGIntimidateQuest: DGIntimidateAliasScript
  • DGIntimidateQuest: DGIntimidatePlayerScript
  • C00JorrvaskrFight: C00JorrvaskrFightAthisScript
  • C00JorrvaskrFight: C00JorrvaskrFightNjadaScript
Note that healing effects will also not cancel brawls. There are technical reasons for this, as well as the fact that other mods may add automatic healing effects.

I believe he's actually updated this already, and gotten it down to the point where brawls function essentially exactly like they do in vanilla.

The Modern Brawl Bug Fix updates the following 9 scripts. In the vanilla game, brawls (and certain other controlled combat scenarios) are cancelled when either participant is struck by a magic effect. This mod updates these events to trigger only when a participant is struck by a weapon (except fists), hostile spell, shout or scroll or (added in version 1.02) when the player casts a spell, uses an ingredient or uses a potion during the brawl.

Its a cleaner script, better functioning, modern and supported, and from a prolific and respected MA.  Is there more that needs to be said?

1.04 fixes an event I missed.

I'm not sure why no one reports these things. Will I bite?

Nah, I think people are just lazy. :-P Think of how many people fail to endorse a mod. That I will never understand. If you use and enjoy a mod, why not endorse it? I mean, if you use MO, you don't even need to go to the Nexus page! When you check for updates, it will show you any mods you have not yet endorsed. Right click the mod, "Endorse". It doesn't take much effort, lol. I assume NMM has a similar feature, seeing as it is made by Nexus...

Maybe they are also worried it affects just them due to mod conflict, and is not a wider issue. I know I try and report every bug I come across with a mod, but I try and make sure it is not a mod conflict first by doing some quick checks in xEdit. Some people may not know how to do that, and are worried about being made a fool of. I figure the mod author would want to know any errors, and if I get egg on my face, so be it! Lol.

This seems like it will be a candidate for the step compilation

Agreed, 100%. Enai was good enough to put wide-open permissions on the file as long as credit is given. Assuming he is fine with us doing it, we could just throw this in the STEP Compilation. That way we could be sure it would have a higher priority than any mods that have the old brawl bugs patch (like Enhanced Blood Textures). We would be able to remove the step for the old Brawl Bugs Patch for Core users as well. Assuming it passes testing, of course, but I am sure with testing that we will find it is better than the old patch.

With that said, I will make this mod:

Marked for Testing

• 2 weeks later...

Tested and confirmed is one more thing that could be said here, and the answer is yes (though admittedly not thoroughly) with the most recent version (1.04), on a mod list that is definitely taking it to task - Disparity, Weapons and Armor Attributes, Vigor, Frostfall, etc.  I only say not thoroughly because I haven't tried specifically to break it in various ways yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Small point - in an attempt to ensure the scripts would correctly overwrite in MO, I unpacked the BSA (plus I use SRLE which unpacks all BSA) and that seemed to have some weird behaviors, such as brawls randomly ending in the middle, with no result & lost investment, brawls simply not starting after the dialogue prompts, and just breaking altogether - everyone starts attacking me.  Leaving BSA packed seems to solve those issues.

I have it loaded almost at the bottom of my MO left pane, only a couple small mods and then Patches/Skyproc stuff comes after. Conflicts tab shows nothing overwriting.

* checking now, I'm seeing I must have had BSA extractor set to false when I installed Ordinator, as I have a BSA for it.  Perhaps some weird behavior is happening with priority between loose files and BSA.

Edited by baronaatista

• 6 months later...