Mangaclub

Real Skyrim Snowflakes - Vivid Snow (by Mangaclub - Hishutup - Kesta)

Real Skyrim Snowflakes - Vivid Snow

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IUMKDV8eCk [video=youtube]

What is this mod?
Real Skyrim Snowflakes differs from almost any other snowflake mod out there. It removes the fake Skyrim snow
particle system from the weathers and adds in-world snow particle systems. That way, snow gets lit by light sources
and effect lighting! It dramatically increases the feeling of snowy days & nights that way!
It also includes a fix for the Day 1 vanilla bug that visual effects disappear as soon the map was used!
(thanks to mattiewagg for the script!)
This Mod is part of the VIVIDIAN ENB Suite and available here as a standalone mod for better compatibility.
So far it does NOT add new Weathers but modifies Existing ones in your load order

IMPORTANT INFORMATION
1. This mod is not made for people who count every FPS or have a weak rig! It will render several thousands
of snow particles in front of you, so expect a FPS loss.
2. For Proper function you MUST change the iMaxDesired value in your skyrimprefs.ini [particles] section to at least 6000
(I personally recommend even 10000 but that depends on your Rig (GTX 670 here))
3. You need SKSE for the map weather fix to function properly!
4. This mod will start to make real sense when using a ENB, since the vanilla nights & particles in Skyrim are simply too bright for the lighting effect to be seen well. Weather mods like PW / Purity help there.

5. ENB Particle settings now apply to the snow, so you must rely that the ENB author does sensible things to particles at night

Compatibility
Real Skyrim Snowflakes is compatible with Vanilla, Natural Lighting and Atmospherics, Pure Weather, Purity,
RCRN, Climates of Tamriel, Expanded Snow Systems , Supreme Storms, Weather Ambience Overaul.
Since True Storms does not include snow weathers, its naturally compatible ;)

Installation
0. Install Tes5Edit if you havent done so already. Here is a Video showing you how todo so: Click me
1. Follow the installer Instruction or copy the content of the data folder into your skyrim/data folder.
1.5 When using Mod Organizer - right click in the Realistic Skyrim Snowflakes - Vivid snow mod entry in
 your list and click on "open in explorer"
1.6 NMM users need to have a look into their Skyrim/Data Folder
2. Copy the content of the Edit Scripts Folder to your Tes5Edit/Edit Scripts/ folder. (replace mteFunctions.pas)
3. Put Vividsnow.esp at the end of your load order
4. Run Tes5edit and leave all checkmarks enabled so it loads up your whole modlist. - that will take a while.
5. Right click the VividSnow.esp and press Apply Script
6. Select in the upper part the "Real snowflakes Patcher" and press Ok. - It might ask you to add Masters to Vividsnow.esp,
confirm that.
The script will now scan your modlist and add all Weathers that will be changed by Vividsnows to the Vividsnow.esp.
When done, close Tes5edit and accept the request that it want to save the Vividsnow.esp
The installation is now complete. Please Notice that you need to redo this procedure from scratch as soon
you remove or add Weather mods.

ENB COMPATIBILITY:
The recommended settings for particles can be
IntensityNight=0.4 up to 0.7
LightingInfluenceNight=1.0
It greatly depends on your weather mod and the particle brightness of it.

What to Expect from your weather Mod
Because Vivid Snow does not add weathers you will experience Snow weathers just as intended by your Weather mod
here is a small list what kind of Snow Weathers are inside the diverse weather mods:

Vanilla, Purity, Pure Weather, NLA
Two snow weathers:  Medium Snow, Strong Snow

Climates of Tamriel
Nine snow weathers: Lite Snow (1), Medium Snow (1), Strong Snow(5), Blizzard Medium (1), Blizzard Strong (1)

Expanded Snow Systems - Vanilla
Eleven snow weathers: Medium Snow (1), Strong Snow (1), Blizzard Lite (3), Blizzard Medium (3), Blizzard Strong (3)

Expanded Snow Systems - COT
Nine snow weathers:  Blizzard Lite (3), Blizzard Medium (3), Blizzard Strong (3)

Supreme Storms & COT
One weather change - Strong Snow

Bugs
-There can be leftovers of old particle effects stuck in the savegame - blurry particles in front of your cam.
In that case, open the console , type in FW 81a and save. Then restart Skyrim and load the saved game.
-If no particles are showing up during a weather (like loading into a snowy weather), skyrim failed to initialize the particle system
because the savegame didn’t have one. To fix this, force a snow weather with the FW 4d7fb command and save.
-Almost invisible or too dark particles may often be the result of wrong ENB settings.
-ENB Mist Bug: ENB has two bugs with particles. They Vanish when the MIST effect is too strong and they interact badly with
the volumetric Fogs on the mountains. There is nothing i can do about that, only your ENB mod Author.

Recommendations:
Expanded Snow Systems this will add Blizzard and other types of Snowy weathers to skyrim. (also available for Vanilla)
Weather and Ambience overaul this will overaul your Weather and Skyrim Experience at once
Wet and Cold - adds snow effects to NPC's, blinding vision effects in blizzards and much much more

Credits
Thanks to Hishutup for the Tes5Edit Installation script
Thanks to mattiewagg for the Weather map fix script
Thanks to Kesta and Grimy for adding ideas into the  Map weather script

Edited by Mangaclub
  • Upvote 1

Could we get a side by side comparison without ENB? This looks interesting, but ENB is something I don't and never will use.

The visuals in form of the textures color and what not is identical to vanilla textures, or very close to it. It's the motion and it actually being a proper 3D effect and not just a plane placed at the "eyes" of the player character that makes this unique. Test it in game and see for yourself.

Far exceeds expectations for me.  Wow.

Snow does actually feel 3d with this, doesn't it?  I'm really not experiencing any visible fps hits when taking in a full on vanilla snowstorm on the streets of Winterhold.

Currently set my particles in skyrimprefs.ini to 10000.

Does anyone know what particles can be set upwards to?

i never tryd to rise them higher then 10000 ;) but i suppose it could be tomething around 65000 somewat at max.

The particle emmiters can produce up to 20k Particles on screen.

btw-still testing around with blizzards for the next release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zy6bYx26tI

Edited by Mangaclub

Anyone with higher to high end PC tried it yet? I'm curious about the fps loss.

I'm currently using ramccoid's SNOW and really like the textures and what he did with the lousy vanilla effects, but the flakes from this mod seem to move in kind of more realistically random way, which I like as well.

Nice looking manga...hope you do not get too much flak for the ENB side of things! But who cares... looks lovely, and no annoying tunnel effects when you move around it seems! 

Can we get a link to the mod in the OP?  There appears to be a video or something that my browser is not allowing me to see (that I purposely have set), but no link to the mod otherwise...

EDIT: Thank you. :)

But manga you can't have it set to 10000, you can't have it set to anything higher than 9000.

Just for the info here is my benchmarks from a few quick runs. This was a quick and dirty run...

Vanilla:
Frames: 4378 - Time: 74413ms - Avg: 58.834 - Min: 38 - Max: 62

Vivid Snow - Particles set to 10,000:
Frames: 3851 - Time: 71495ms - Avg: 53.864 - Min: 37 - Max: 61

Vivid Snow - Particles set to 6,000:
Frames: 3900 - Time: 71760ms - Avg: 54.348 - Min: 37 - Max: 61

This test was ran in Dawnstar using a predetermined path around the city in a STEP:Extended setup. My graphics card is a GTX 760 4GB. FRAPS was used for the benchmark.

Two things I noticed:

• More stutter while panning
  • It still snows through everything just like vanilla. It would be nice to have a "Real Shelter" type mod for the snow.

• It still snows through everything just like vanilla. It would be nice to have a "Real Shelter" type mod for the snow.

That shouldnt be hard to do, maybe threeten is already working something out.

When I tried this mod, the stutter was bad but I figured that was ETaC just sucking the frames.

Yeah, the stuttering was noticeably bad a few times and then others it was fine. It was only while panning, but definitely a change from vanilla. I'll do a better benchmark later so for now, take this one with a grain of salt.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By sheson
      This is a beta of [FNV|FO3|FO4|FO4VR|TES5|SSE|TES5VR|ENDERAL|ENDERALSE]LODGen/Edit with terrain LOD meshes and textures generation.
      This is for experienced mod authors and users that know how to use xEdit, xLODGen or DynDOLOD already.
      Installation and Setup
      Download
      xLODGen beta 83 - based on 4.1.3g
      Unzip into a dedicated folder outside of any game and Steam folders or special Windows folders like Program Files.
      (Pro users can merge with existing xEdit installation. Make sure to overwrite older LODGen.exe/LODGenx64.exe TexConv.exe/TexConvx64.exe in Edit Scripts. All other files with the same filenames are the same as the latest version of xEdit.)
      Rename xLODGen.exe to [game mode]LODGen.exe (TES5LODGen.exe for example) or start with command line parameter -fnv, -fo3, -fo4, -fo4vr, -tes5, tes5vr, -sse, -enderal, -enderalse
      Use -o:"c:\OutputPath\" command line parameter to change where files are generated to, default is the game folder. Use this if a mod manager with a virtual file system (like MO) is used.
      Do not generate into any game or any mod manager folders that are part (direct or indirect) of the virtual file system.
      Requirements
      Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015, 2017 and 2019 - Required by LODGen.exe/LODGenx64.exe and Texconv.exe/Texconvx64.exe. Get matching platform x86/x64 depending on which xLODGen.exe (x86) or xLODGenx64.exe (x64) is used.
      RTFM and Share Results
      See the included Skyrim-Occlusion-Readme.txt for a brief explanation of the Skyrim TVDT Occlusion data generation. Read the hints that are shown when the mouse pointer rests on a setting. Ask specific questions or give feedback in the dedicated Skyrim TVDT - Occlusion Data thread.
      See the included Terrain-LOD-Readme.txt for a brief explanation of the settings for terrain LOD generation. Read the hints that are shown when the mouse pointer rests on a setting. Ask specific questions about terrain LOD in this thread for a more in-depth explanation if required and share feedback (with screenshots) about results or problems.
      These tools generate LOD meshes and textures "exactly" like CK, but not like the meshes and textures which are shipping with the games (they are often manually edited).
      However, these tools provide more options and higher resolutions (use the x64 version if there are memory errors because you believe you require 4k or higher) and can be updated to add more useful features and options.
      I did some testing in the different games, but finding the best combinations of options and settings requires lots of testing and are a matter of personal opinion and which game is used, the load order, mods, even different worldspaces probably.
      That means, I am only able to give generic guidelines and hints to send you off to find and test for yourself and share your results. My main interested is that generations works correctly and without problems for now.
      Check out the thread xLODGen Terrain Settings Compare. Also refer to any modding guide which has a list of relevant mods close to your load order.
      The object and tree LOD generation is the same as the current versions of xEdit / xLODGen. Refer to their respective descriptions and explanations.
      Obviously, users of Skryim/Enderal/Skyrim SE/Skyrim VR/EnderalSE continue to use the easier and more comprehensive DynDOLOD for drastically improved object and tree LOD generation and only use xLODGen for terrain LOD (and maybe Occlusion) generation.
      First Time
      Here are suggestion to start without going crazy and that should be quick enough to generate:
      Set quality of meshes for LOD4 to 5 and then +5 for each next level. Or just set levels 8/16/32 to 10.
      Check protect cell borders (yes it fixes the ugly terrain drops at outer cell borders that still exist in Fallout 4).
      Use the max vertices setting only if you want to hard limit max file size.
      In Skyrim Special Edition or Skyrim VR, if you notice terrain briefly flickering when new areas are loading in, set [Display] bEnableLandFade=0 in Skyrim.INI
      Set Optimize Unseen to off for LOD4 for first generation. Start experimenting with a value of 550 with a quality setting of 10 or lower for LOD32 (used for map) and compare coastlines and file size to other settings.
      To quickly generate terrain LOD meshes just for the map, check only terrain LOD Meshes, check the Specific Chunk checkbox and set drop down to 32. Leave SW fields empty for complete map or set SW cell coordinates to same values as a *.btr filename to test a specific area with lots of water, river etc.
      Set texture sizes to 512 for a start. Larger sizes and large world spaces will take a considerable time (like 15 to 30 minutes or more easily). Each higher resolution means quadruple the work.
      Use DXT1 for diffuse and 565 (DXT1 if on Windows 7) for normal maps. If generating for Skyrim Special Edition use BC7. Uncheck mipmaps, raise steepness and Bake normal maps.
      For now, leave the Brightness, Contrast and Gamma at 0 and 1.0 respectively. It seems that only Skyrim CK and Skyrim SE CK are manipulating the intensity of the textures to adjust for the noise.dds and the god awful "improved" snow shader of Skyrim SE (just turn that thing off, really). If textures seem too dark in the game, brighten the noise.dds instead or vice versa. That way you can get perfectly matching LOD textures that look just like the textures in the loaded cells. For Skyrim a good average color of the noise texture seems to be around #C0. See below for a couple noise texture downloads.
      If you want to test larger texture sizes, use the chunk option to limit the number of textures that need to be generated. For example, check [x] Specific chunk, leave the drop down empty and set WS to the lower left cell coordinate of an 32x32 area, like 0, 0. It will then generate all textures up to 31,31. Not all worldspaces have their origin at 0,0 so you will have to check already generated meshes/texture filenames for their lower left coordinates.
      Questions and Feedback
      Obliviously anything related to terrain LOD should be posted in this thread.
      Posts related to Occlusion should be made here.
      Recommended Optionals
      TES5-Terrain-Tamriel.esm, SSE-Terrain-Tamriel.esm
      TES5-Terrain-Tamriel-Extend.esm, SSE-Terrain-Tamriel-Extend.esm - These extend the sea of ghost further to the north (see screenshots)
      SSE-Terrain-Tamriel-Full-Extend.esm - Entire map from -96,-96 to 95,96 with northern ocean extension. Useful for mod authors.
      Put in game data folder obviously. Adds back terrain for Skyrim (Tamriel worldspace) at the outer edges so there is no missing terrain meshes/textures when generating terrain LOD for Skyrim.
      Load as early with lowest priority as possible, so that any other plugins overwriting or adding land records or cells with the same coordinates take precedence.
      Only required to be loaded when generating terrain LOD. No harm done when loaded in-game but typically the player can not get close to these areas. There are no effects outside the far away added cells.
      Noise
      Single color flat noise, Adjusted vanilla noise, HD Terrain Noise Texture SE
      Examples for Skyrim. Install to game folder like any other texture mod. The noise texture is applied in-game on top of terrain LOD textures, so no effect for LOD generation.
      Only the red channel is used in case the textures is not a grey channel format. MipMaps are ignored. The textures is tiled 3x3 per LOD quad, e.g. for LOD level 4, the noise texture is repeated 3 times to cover 4 cells, for LOD level 8, the noise texture is repeated 3 times to cover 8 cells and so on.
      Test-Terrain-Tamriel.7z
      For testing terrain LOD distances. Plain color terrain LOD textures for Tamriel with coordinates for every LOD quad. Green for LOD 4, yellow for LOD8, blue for LOD 16 and red for LOD 32.
    • By Lili_Cakez
      So I've noticed that rain drops appear black when falling over certain terrain backgrounds. From my own research, I can see that this is somewhat common, and people have said to install weather mods to fix this. The only thing is that I am using Snapdragon ENB, and the author says its incompatible with other weather mods. Is there a way to prevent the rain from looking black without installing other weather mods? I love this ENB, so I am hoping I wont have to find another one. I also don't want to just entirely disable rain in ENB.

• By Darklustre
      So I'm playing the College of Winterhold quests, that I've played before just fine. For some reason the NPCs aren't initiating their dialogue, Tolfdir isn't leading the way through Saarthal, and I can't get the quest started. Once he goes in Saarthal, no one follows. I'm using ICOW, AFT and Interesting NPCs. I've used these all before with no trouble. I don't know what the problem is now.

What is it called when this happens because I'm not getting good search engine hits with what I put in my title. Thanks.