Dreadflopps Modular patches

That's huge update.
I mention this mod a while ago

Dual Sheath Redux - Morrowloot 4E Patch by Chickenudoom
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/61737/?

I tried it last night. It works well, but it can still be improved. I quoted my comment to the author here.

"Hi Chickenudoom,

Thanks for this patch. I am using it now. Just would like to add some suggestion. There are 3 duplicate meshes to the original mod Morrowloot 4E (wg_0.nif, wg_1.nif, and skullcrusher.nif). I think they can be removed safely. I also would like to add mesh for Eleidon. If you can add eleidonOnBackClk.nif for using it with cloak mod will be great. "

I removed those 3 meshes from my install. I edited Eleidon (shield) mesh with NifSkope by myself to create eleidonOnBackClk.nif per Neovalen and WilliamImm's guide on DSR page. Now everything is working.

Edited by darkside

Dread do you have some suggestions for ways to test the current setup?

I generally just create a new character (Live Another Life ftw) and start in a city or an inn and maybe run around a bit. Do you have any suggestions for more exhaustive testing I can perform before moving on to the next set of mods?

There are different stress tests but I have never used them myself. I say install everything. Since you use MO (right?) it's easy to deactivate mods.

If you wanna do some testing I believe there is a testing method on the skyrim flora overhaul nexus page. You could walk around outside white run and spawn a dragon or two and fight them. The outskirts of white run should be pretty heavy on the system, as should a dragon.

• +1 1

Dread do you have some suggestions for ways to test the current setup?

I generally just create a new character (Live Another Life ftw) and start in a city or an inn and maybe run around a bit. Do you have any suggestions for more exhaustive testing I can perform before moving on to the next set of mods?

I can't speak for dreadflopp, but I have some standard tests. It all depends on what you're testing. In all of the below tests, I always hit the asterisk (*) key on the number pad to display my FPS. Anything below 25 or so is problematic. (My load order gives me 55-60 FPS without an ENB preset, 25-50 with one). When testing anything, try to do it on a new game to minimize the chances of old mods interfering. As detailed below, Alternate Start and some console commands are a godsend for testing things.

If you're testing script load (particularly in combat), I prefer starting a new game (to ensure no leftover scripts) with Alternate Start and starting off at the Solitude Inn. I then head out into the streets, turn on god mode (with tgm), and spawn three (or more) dragons. They'll run amok in one of the busiest cells in Skyrim. On my load order everything works fine: my framerate is stable, the dragons behave as expected. With some script-heavy mods, however, things start going wrong: with Burn Freeze Shock Effects, for example, I start seeing walls and floors disappear. To test script load of scripts that attach themselves to every NPC (Wet and Cold, Footprints), just spawn 100 of any human NPC inside of a city. Ideally use bandits, as then you can test your framerate in large fights (turn on god mode). With my load order I have a playable framerate for both of these tests.

If you're testing how well combat works in your game, then I start a new game (again, with Alternate Start so as not to drive me crazy -- I only use Alternate Start when testing). I then use the console to advance my combat skills suitably (player.advskill block 3000, for example), and get myself to a reasonable level and select a few perks. I also spawn a set of elven armor or wolf armor or something, just so I'm reasonably well equipped. Then I just charge off to the nearest bandit camp and see how everything feels. At a reasonable level (say, level 20) with a standard difficulty setting (Adept, for example) you should be able to handle most bandit camps in Skyrim. If you can't handle a bandit camp without dying several dozen times, then your load order is probably more "hardcore" than "fun", and you'll want to trim your load order of a few difficult combat mods. Note: mods such as Requiem or PermaZones, or Erkeil's deleveled mod can make you underleveled for a particular area: if you're running something like this, make sure you're of the appropriate level for the bandit camp you're testing. Be sure to advance your level past 15 or so even without these mods, as you can actually be underleveled for areas in vanilla Skyrim.

If you're testing texture mods for FPS, just start a new game with Alternate Start and run around any random location. Be sure to test both indoors and outdoors.

This last one might not apply to you, but when adjusting saturation levels (ie, adjusting an ENB or SweetFX preset, or perhaps Imaginator), I use three locations: the Riverwood Inn (excessive saturation can cause the large inn fires to make the room look too reddish), the Riverwood exterior (it's usually sunny there, and too much saturation makes sunny weather look almost neon), and Bloated Man's Grotto during the quest Ill Met By Moonlight (just start the quest with setstage DA05 50, then use coc BloatedMansGrottoExterior01 to teleport to the cave entrance). Bloated Man's Grotto (during this quest) is ideal for this because it's easily one of the most saturated, colourful areas in the vanilla game. Be sure to also test out nights to see how dark they get. I recommend doing these quick color tests when selecting an ENB or SweetFX preset: if it looks fine in all of the above situations then you'll probably be fine throughout an entire playthrough.

Edited by Harpalus
  • +1 2

There are different stress tests but I have never used them myself. I say install everything. Since you use MO (right?) it's easy to deactivate mods.

If you wanna do some testing I believe there is a testing method on the skyrim flora overhaul nexus page. You could walk around outside white run and spawn a dragon or two and fight them. The outskirts of white run should be pretty heavy on the system, as should a dragon.

The annoying thing about installing everything first is that if something goes wrong I just don't know where to start looking for the problem. But if that happens I suppose I could ask again :)

Thanks to both yourself and Harp, for the testing tips!

Hi guys, author of the new-ish mod PermaZONES here. I've lurked on STEP for a while, and just now stumbled across a few mentions of my mod after reading Harpalus's testing guide on this page. 

Just wanted to let you all know that I'd be very interested in any criticism from the Modular Morrowloot team/users, on either 1.0 or the new update that just came out. I'll try to check back here periodically since I visit STEP once or twice a week anyway, but also feel free to PM me on Nexus and be sure to mention you're from STEP too. Probably a bit elitist, but I'll admit to being more likely to take your thoughts under serious consideration than the average mod user. Impossible satisfy everyone who offers suggestions after all. Cheers.

Hi guys, author of the new-ish mod PermaZONES here. I've lurked on STEP for a while, and just now stumbled across a few mentions of my mod after reading Harpalus's testing guide on this page. 

Just wanted to let you all know that I'd be very interested in any criticism from the Modular Morrowloot team/users, on either 1.0 or the new update that just came out. I'll try to check back here periodically since I visit STEP once or twice a week anyway, but also feel free to PM me on Nexus and be sure to mention you're from STEP too. Probably a bit elitist, but I'll admit to being more likely to take your thoughts under serious consideration than the average mod user. Impossible satisfy everyone who offers suggestions after all. Cheers.

I've quite enjoyed PermaZONES from what I've seen of it, and I've had no technical issues with it. I don't have all that much time lately to actually play Skyrim unfortunately, and a mod like yours is one that needs better balance testing than I've been able to provide. I'll definitely provide feedback once I've had sufficient time to spend with Skyrim (and by extension, PermaZONES) that I can provide any useful insight.

Thanks for the mod, and for the vote of confidence.

Edited by Harpalus

One thing that's been bothering me about TTRSO: any advice for deconflicting WAF and TTRSO? There are quite a few missing item and armor sets added to the perks that TTRSO undoes, and a few instances where I don't know how to deconflict things properly. DLC1DawnguardItemPerk, for example: TTRSO doesn't change the description, but deletes the matching set effect. (Presumably the Dawnguard armor no longer provides a matching set bonus, and neither do any of the armour sets fixed by WAF).

Edited by Harpalus

I've worked with a patch like that before but discussed it with someone in this thread and decided against it. TTRSO, if I remember correctly, fixes the matching set compared to vanilla, just like Kryptopyr does. I can take a look again and see what I can come up with. Without any patch we have a matching set perk that works for more armor sets than in vanilla, but maybe not as many as with WAF.

I've worked with a patch like that before but discussed it with someone in this thread and decided against it. TTRSO, if I remember correctly, fixes the matching set compared to vanilla, just like Kryptopyr does. I can take a look again and see what I can come up with. Without any patch we have a matching set perk that works for more armor sets than in vanilla, but maybe not as many as with WAF.

No worries. There's no need to take a look. TTRSO tries to handle it by setting armor types to one that's already covered. I prefer WAF's approach here, which is adding the missing armor types to the perks. I believe the latter approach is more compatible with the improved smithing menus from CCOR.

It doesn't matter either way for me right now: partly as a result of this compatibility issue and partly out of curiousity, I've (temporarily?) dropped TTRSO and Ultimate Combat from my load order in order to give Perkus Maximus a try.

Edited by Harpalus