Dreadflopps Modular patches

You mentioned dying often in a different thread, dreadflopp. I have a balance suggestion: drop every combat mod in favour of Ultimate Combat. By "combat mod" I mean Revenge of the Enemies, Deadly Combat (which, in my opinion, conflicts thematically with TTRSO), and definitely Duel (which is poorly made at best, even the newest version). I also use Backup Movement Speed Reduction to prevent "backpedaling", and I overwrite Ultimate Combat's records with the Backup Movement Speed Reduction records. For some reason I thought you were using Combat Evolved in the pack, but it seems you aren't: Combat Evolved is recommended just about everywhere (or its twin, by Erkeil), but I find it just makes me die too easily.

I find I don't need anything aside from Ultimate Combat. (I do use Skyrim Immersive Creatures and High Level Enemies, but I don't consider them "combat mods"). Enemies are much smarter, combat is fun, yet I don't get one-shotted anywhere near as often. I don't have a problem with Deadly Combat, but as I noted the changes it makes to armor and stamina seem at odds with TTRSO's design. (Late edit: I'm currently using Deadly Combat, and I was wrong about this. Deadly Combat is fine with TTRSO). Having only Ultimate Combat also reduces both the number of conflicts I have in my load order and also reduces the number of scripts running in combat.

If you're already pruning the guide by removing some mods, then I would nominate Dodge mod (unnecessary), ASIS (old, have read scattered reports about unresolved problems) and Endgame NPC Overhaul (conflicts, unnecessary).

Separately, for a "deleveled" Skyrim, I've been loving PermaZones. It's better supported than some of the other options (Erkeil, ASIS) and works well with the existing mod pack. This certainly will make you die much more, but it'll be because you tried to enter an area you were too weak for. You can then simply ignore that area for a while. I dislike dying frequently in areas that I should be an appropriate level for.

Of course, it's up to you: I take a peculiar joy in trimming my load order of superfluousness, is all.

Quite separately, does anybody know of something like Better Leveling, but with the vanilla skill caps in place? I think I agree with the TTRSO author here: the game wasn't designed to have skills go beyond 100 and TTRSO (and many mods) are balanced around a level cap of 81. However, I do feel that I level too quickly by default, especially with the various quest mods I have installed. I would also love to get rid of Skyrim's new "Legendary perk reset" feature (at least from the skill menu), and I think that the Uncapper allows me to remove this. I could take the "Better Leveling" mod and replace the skill caps with vanilla skill caps, but then the intended progression in Better Leveling would be unbalanced. I'm also uncertain about the changes Better Leveling makes to stats on level-up.

Edited by Harpalus

I'll try ultimate combat. I have read the nexus page several times but haven't tried it yet. Looked a little to much but maybe it isn't? Check this page for my recommended setup (done some rebalancing, I am using the "casual" setup): https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Dreadflopp/mmo_SkyrimGameplayandSkillrebalance . Endgame npc overhaul might be unescessary, may drop it later. What are the consequences of combat evolved? I'll post this in a day or two. Thought I was gonna do it tonight but may tweak it a little more.

I think better leveling caps at 150? I agree with not leveling to far. I think better leveling does a pretty good job. Many things I am uncertain about and just trust the author. Which stats are you thinking about?

I dislike Combat Evolved because it does precisely what it says on the tin: it increases damage across the board, and TTRSO already covers the improvements to sneaking that it makes. It has some other features (improved AI, some enemy abilities), but short of some TES5Edit cutting these aren't offered separately. I was dying far too easily in combat, and uninstalling Combat Evolved noticeably reduced the difficulty for me.

Ultimate Combat does a "little too much" at times, but I personally consider it to be the best of the available options. Its surprisingly compatible and works well thematically with my load order. I'd welcome suggestions for a minimal, well-made combat mod that improves things, but until I find one I'll be using Ultimate Combat. If you prefer a different combat mod, however, then I'd still stand by my suggestion: I think that combat mods don't stack easily without a dramatic difficulty spike. So perhaps only Deadly Combat? Test things out yourself to make sure, though. I'm considering switching Ultimate Combat for Action Combat. It doesn't seem to affect enemy AI though, which is what I dislike most about vanilla combat.

As for Better Leveling, I actually prefer the vanilla system of only gaining carry weight with stamina, to force me to make my characters well-rounded. I'm not really suggesting dropping Uncapper or Better Leveling, however, I just wondered if anybody had some suggestions.

See this thread for some thoughts and comments on various combat mods.

Edited by Harpalus

I misread your post and thought you recommended combat evolved. That are the reasons I do not use it. 

I'm removing both deadly combat and duel. Maybe trying ultimate combat if it doesn't make combat to hard. Sorry for being short, it's way past time for me to be sleeping here (sweden) and I'm doing some patching. Will look into the combat mod thread tomorrow. Very helpfull, thanks!

Finished splitting the guide into new ones

Changelog

* 15-03-24 Split the pack into Survival, Dovahkiin Reborn, Skyrim Gameplay Overhaul, Deleveled Loot

* 15-03-24 Removed recommendations to not install enhanced version of Inns and taverns, removed erso's mods, removed SPERG, removed improved dragon shouts, removed SkyRe, removed dodge mod, removed instructions to not install cwi improved npc's from REGS, removed duel, removed endgame npc's, added PermaZONES, added ultimate combat, added disparity

Recently upgraded my PC and decided to go for your suggestions, dreadflopp. I have some experience with modding Skyrim before but not really at this scale and with so many working parts at the same time.

I tried installing everything and then realising that the fact it wasn't working was just too daunting to figure out since I had done little testing before completing so I went back to Skyrim Revisited and then installed MMO and everything seemed to be ok and now adding REGS on top of it.

One of the problems I was having was apparently memory allocation and I downloaded an SKSE script to fix it and stop the infinite loading screens I was occasionally getting.

Now I have a new problem, however, and I'm at a loss as to where the problem might lie and losing morale fast. I'm pasting my load order in case anything stands out as being a problem. Basically when I start from Riverwood and run towards the Standing Stones/Helgen direction the game just CTDs when I approach a pack of wolves. With this last load order I was able to actually get into a fight with them for a few seconds before it CTD.

Any help would be appreciated.

# This file was automatically generated by Mod Organizer.
Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
Dawnguard.esm
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
HearthFires.esm
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
Skyrim Project Optimization - Full Version.esm
Falskaar.esm
Wyrmstooth.esp
ETaC - RESOURCES.esm
ClimatesOfTamriel.esm
JSwords.esm
Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Main.esm
TTR_Skill_Overhaul.esm
WinterholdDestruction.esm
HighResTexturePack01.esp
HighResTexturePack02.esp
HighResTexturePack03.esp
Cutting Room Floor.esp
Auto Unequip Ammo.esp
LootandDegradation.esp
fFastTravelSpeedMult_4.esp
SkyUI.esp
Elemental Staves.esp
ORM-Arvak.esp
ClamsDropPearls.esp
SMIM-DungeonsCliffsIceSkirts.esp
Brows.esp
Lock Overhaul.esp
AshRocks.esp
Chesko_LoreBasedLoadingScreens.esp
Chesko_WearableLantern.esp
BetterQuestObjectives-Hearthfire.esp
Nausicaa's Tweaker.esp
Extended UI.esp
MoonGlow.esp
83Willows_101BUGS_V4_LowRes.esp
Convenient Horses.esp
BFSEffects.esp
AHZmoreHUD.esp
ReadingTakesTime.esp
Dual Wield Parrying_SKSE.esp
DawnguardRuneWeaponsFXSReplacer.esp
MintyLightningMod_COT_Patch.esp
EpisodeParallax.esp
Beards.esp
Appropriately Attired Jarls Redux.esp
GQJ_DG_vampireamuletfix.esp
mintylightningmod.esp
Moss Rocks.esp
NoRareVendorMetals.esp
Dual Sheath Redux.esp
RaceMenu.esp
Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp
Rainbows.esp
RealisticRoomRental-Basic.esp
SMIM-DragonbornTernFix.esp
SMIM-FurnitureChestSnowFix.esp
ShootingStars.esp
Soul Gems Differ.esp
SulfurRocks.esp
VioLens.esp
Dodge Mod.esp
Dragon Combat Overhaul.esp
Weapons & Armor Fixes_Remade.esp
Weapons & Armor_TrueOrcish&DaedricWeapons.esp
ADS.esp
Clothing & Clutter Fixes.esp
CollegeOfWinterholdImmersive.esp
ExpandedWinterholdRuins.esp
3DNPC.esp
ETaC - Complete.esp
ETaC - Dragon Bridge South.esp
Prometheus_No_snow_Under_the_roof.esp
Better Dynamic Snow.esp
JKs Skyrim Major Cities.esp
Prometheus_NSUTR BDS Patch.esp
Morrowloot.esp
DeadlyDragons.esp
Skyrim Immersive Creatures.esp
Immersive Orc Strongholds.esp
ETaC - Complete EWDR Patch.esp
SkyFalls + SkyMills + DG + DB + FS + WT.esp
Distant DetailHF.esp
SkyFalls + SkyMills + DG + DB.esp
Bring Out Your Dead.esp
Endgame NPC Overhaul.esp
Imperious - Races of Skyrim.esp
BetterQuestObjectives.esp
Thieves Guild Requirements.esp
NPC Knockout Overhaul.esp
NonEssentialChildren.esp
SPTConsistentOlderPeople.esp
SDO Full-LOD - The Morthal Swamp Light.esp
TTR_Skill_Overhaul.esp
Better Vampires.esp
ExplosiveBoltsVisualized.esp
TradeBarter.esp
Duel - Combat Realism.esp
Animated Weapon Enchants.esp
Radiant and Unique Potions Poisons and Booze.esp
Toxicity.esp
Paralyze.esp
Thunderchild - Epic Shout Package.esp
DragonShoutVoice.esp
REGS - Better Docks.esp
BFT Ships and Carriages.esp
RBB - REGS Merge.esp
Skyrim Immersive Creatures - DLC2.esp
BirdsHFclean.esp
Immersive Solstheim.esp
Point The Way.esp
FarmhouseChimneys.esp
FarmhouseChimneysWyrmstooth.esp
SkyFalls DB + FS Small Waterfalls.esp
FarmhouseChimneysFalskaar.esp
RealisticWaterTwo.esp
AOS.esp
COT-WeatherPatch.esp
DeadlySpellImpacts.esp
Traps Are Dangerous.esp
Improved Combat Sounds v2.2.esp
IHSS.esp
Thunderchild - Wyrmstooth Compatibility Patch.esp
Weapons & Armor_TrueWeaponsLvlLists.esp
When Vampires Attack.esp
aMidianBorn_ContentAddon.esp
Complete Crafting Overhaul_Remade.esp
ETaC - Complete LoS Patch.esp
MoonAndStar_MAS.esp
Immersive Whiterun.esp
DFB - Random Encounters.esp
ETaC - Complete NoSnow Patch.esp
Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp
Sky Haven Temple M&M3.esp
BetterDGEntrance.esp
BetterQuestObjectives-Dawnguard.esp
Better Stealth AI for Followers.esp
Immersive Potions.esp
NerniesCityandVillageExpansion.esp
Oblivion Gates v3 without Markers - Skyrim + Dawnguard DLC.esp
Inconsequential NPCs.esp
Inconsequential NPCs - CRF Compatibility Patch.esp
Nightingale Hall.esp
NightingaleArrows.esp
Understone Keep Repair.esp
Vividian ENB.esp
Complete Crafting_TrueWeaponsLvlLists.esp
High Level Enemies - SIC.esp
High Level Enemies - SIC Falskaar.esp
Rebirth Monster.esp
High Level Enemies - Hardcore.esp
Rebirth Monster - SIC Patch.esp
CCO_SIC_Patch.esp
Cloaks.esp
imp_helm_legend.esp
Dragon Soul Relinquishment.esp
RealisticWaterTwo - Legendary.esp
SFO - Dragonborn.esp
TheChoiceIsYours.esp
Run For Your Lives.esp
Inigo.esp
UniqueBorderGates-All.esp
ETaC - Complete BFT Patch.esp
ETaC - Complete CRF Patch.esp
SkyrimImprovedPuddles-DG-HF-DB.esp
SDO Full-LOD - Whiterun Trundra Creeks.esp
tos_laintardale_hf.esp
SMIM-ShackRoofFixes.esp
SMIM-ShackRoofFixesDragonborn.esp
tos_amber_guard.esp
Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp
ETaC - Whiterun Ext CRF Patch.esp
FarmhouseChimneysCRF.esp
Aurora - Standing Stones of Skyrim.esp
tos_granitehall.esp
Chesko_Frostfall.esp
CCO_Frostfall_Patch.esp
1nivWICCloaksCRAFT.esp
Cloaks - Dawnguard.esp
aMidianborn_Skyforge_Weapons.esp
BetterQuestObjectives-AMBSkyforgePatch.esp
dD-No Spinning Death Animation Merged.esp
iHUD.esp
kuerteeGoldAjustment.esp
multifollowerlite.esp
quest_pitfighter.esp
Provincial Courier Service.esp
Better City Entrances - No Whiterun.esp
Snowbound Acres.esp
CompanionArissa.esp
ETaC - Complete ORS Patch.esp
REGS Patch - 3DNPC.esp
CWIDawnDragonPatch.esp
UniqueBorderGates-All-BetterDGEntrance.esp
PilgrimsDelight.esp
The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp
Extended Encounters.esp
Magic of the Magna-Ge.esp
REGS Patch - STEP Extended.esp
HoldBorderBanners.esp
ETaC Complete - BOYD NPC Fix.esp
REGS Patch - Riften NavFull.esp
Dwemertech - Magic of the Dwarves.esp
FarmhouseChimneysMaS.esp
ETaC - Whiterun Ext LoS Patch.esp
Windhelm Lighthouse.esp
high hrothgar overhaul.esp
Brevi_MoonlightTales.esp
iNeed.esp
BlockSparkles.esp
Gildergreen Regrown.esp
SDO Full-LOD - Giant Campfires.esp
Apocalypse - The Spell Package.esp
Prometheus_NSUTR Falskaar Dock.esp
quest_pitfighter_dlc01.esp
TheChoiceIsYours_Dawnguard.esp
UniqueBorderGates-All-PointTheWay.esp
Apple garden.esp
ForgottenMagic_Redone.esp
Chesko_Step418_SN.esp
RBB - Row Boats - Hearthfire Hotfix.esp
randomthunder.esp
vSCM_SmarterCombatMusic.esp
STEP Extended Patch.esp
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp
BetterQuestObjectives-AlternateStartPatch.esp
FarmhouseChimneysLAL.esp
ELE_Legendary_Fs_Wt_Lite.esp
Scarcity - Less Loot Mod.esp
Scarcity - 8x Loot Rarity.esp
Scarcity - 6x Merchant Item Rarity.esp
MMO Merged Patch.esp
Bashed Patch, 0.esp
ASIS-Dependency.esp
ASIS.esp
Dual Sheath Redux Patch.esp

I can't see anything wrong in your load order. If everything is patched as it should it's very hard to tell what's going on. It might be memory/script related. I've had ctd's on heavy modded setups during fights before, not on this setup though. Try removing ASIS and/or Duel and see if you get it stable.

Will give that a shot and add an edit to this post.

Btw, not sure if you're aware but your pack's page no longer lists any mods. I thought they might be a little hidden in packs with the recent changes but I can't find links to anything.

EDIT: No luck, it seems. I think I might wait for your new packs to appear and give it another go from scratch. I'll ask if there's anything I'm a little unsure of, if that's alright, just to be safe.

Edited by JerkyGunner

You'll find the new packs in the packs section. Skyrim Gameplay Rebalance, Deleveled Loot, Dovahkiin Reborn as well as Smile44's Survival which should have better fast travel added to it.

The old guide: https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Dreadflopp/mmo_old

You can always ask questions if you are uncertain of things. That's how I know when anything is not clear in any of the guides.

Edited by dreadflopp

1. All The mods. Skip Other skill mods and Hardcore gameplay mods. PermaZONES is up to you.

2. Install order: STEP, REGS, Other packs

3. Go with STEP Extended. SR:LE changes to fast, I can't keep up with it

I'll add lighting mods to the guide that I use but it's the same as in the old guide.

You'll find the new packs in the packs section. Skyrim Gameplay Rebalance, Deleveled Loot, Dovahkiin Reborn as well as Smile44's Survival which should have better fast travel added to it.

The old guide: https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Dreadflopp/mmo_old

You can always ask questions if you are uncertain of things. That's how I know when anything is not clear in any of the guides.

Thank you kindly for your work. Hopefully, things will be easier to manage and maintain now that they're split up into separate packs.

The description for Ultimate Combat is that of Immersive Potions for the moment.