A Real Explorer's Guide to Skyrim

First off, thanks to the STEP team for such an awesome guide to making Skyrim even more awesome than it already is.  I know it takes alot of hard work and figuring, and as a modding noob, I certainly appreciate all the effort to make my life easier! 

My small issue:  I'm using the last version of REGS, not this new one.  I had it set up so it all worked great, then I was going to do something and ended up disabling the whole explorers pack.  When I re-enabled it, it seems like the REGS cities patch can't find the Nernies bsa that it is supposed to draw resources from, and buildings are missing (see first pic from link)  When I enable the Nernies esp, the buildings are there, the signs on the shops are doubled, and console clicking on the buildings randomly shows that they are either from REGS cities or Nernies, but when I disable Nernies esp again they disappear.  I use MO, and I've tried reinstalling Nernies, REGS cities and the REGS patches, and that didn't help either. 

Does anyone have any ideas why simply disabling and enabling the pack would do this?

Pic link: https://imgur.com/a/H568k

This guide is fantastic, thanks for your work! I have a question about the Nernies City and Village Expansion replacer though. I like the added foods sold by innkeepers a lot, and the new recipes for them, so I was wondering why they were removed? For compatibility reasons or just because they were outside the scope of REGS? Is it possible for me to add them back in with TES5Edit?

Edit: Actually a change log of exactly what was removed and why would be really useful. I just tried the original and ran around Solitude, everything seems to be working fine there at least. I love the bakery it adds so I'm inclined to leave it assuming no major problems in other areas. The only difference between my set up and the REGS guide is that I'm using the Dawn of Skyrim series instead of the JK series.

Edited by fentan

First off, thanks to the STEP team for such an awesome guide to making Skyrim even more awesome than it already is.  I know it takes alot of hard work and figuring, and as a modding noob, I certainly appreciate all the effort to make my life easier! 

My small issue:  I'm using the last version of REGS, not this new one.  I had it set up so it all worked great, then I was going to do something and ended up disabling the whole explorers pack.  When I re-enabled it, it seems like the REGS cities patch can't find the Nernies bsa that it is supposed to draw resources from, and buildings are missing (see first pic from link)  When I enable the Nernies esp, the buildings are there, the signs on the shops are doubled, and console clicking on the buildings randomly shows that they are either from REGS cities or Nernies, but when I disable Nernies esp again they disappear.  I use MO, and I've tried reinstalling Nernies, REGS cities and the REGS patches, and that didn't help either. 

Does anyone have any ideas why simply disabling and enabling the pack would do this?

Pic link: https://imgur.com/a/H568k

Install

Nernies City and Village Expansion v1_25_loosefiles

Then delete the plugin file

install CJ's version

If the above is correct then the instructions need to be fixed.

Edited by hishutup

Install

Nernies City and Village Expansion v1_25_loosefiles

Then delete the plugin file

install CJ's version

If the above is correct then the instructions need to be fixed.

Excellent, thats exactly what I was missing.  I would recommend updating the guide to specify that download, because it was unclear to a noob like me who was just trying to follow directions :P  The guide said we would be using the resources from nernies, but not the esp, which I took to mean that I should hide the esp and leave the bsa out for REGS cities to use!

Thanks so much for your help!

PS:  That Oblivion guide you're working on looks nifty, I'll have to check it out when I replay it in a few years (cause it will take me that long to get through all the new content STEP has added to skyrim!)  :)

Excellent, thats exactly what I was missing.  I would recommend updating the guide to specify that download, because it was unclear to a noob like me who was just trying to follow directions :P  The guide said we would be using the resources from nernies, but not the esp, which I took to mean that I should hide the esp and leave the bsa out for REGS cities to use!

Thanks so much for your help!

It was actually specified in the old version of the guide. The new one doesn't use REGS - Cities anymore, which is why it doesn't have the note about the loose files: Because that would just be out of date info.

Hi all,

I am wanting to add REGS to my STEP extended install. In REGS it says under pre-installation setup to

• Install the REGS mods after the last mod in your mod manager program.

So the first mod in REGS I would install after FNIS of STEP install order? Or would I start putting them after my bashed patch and skyproc output's for DSR and FNIS? And at the end of the REGS install will I have to re-run DSR Patcher and redo my bashed patch? Thank you all.

Edited by D1Z4STR

Hi D1Z4STR,

Actually I do not have STEP Extended installed (I have SR:LE, REGS + a lot of other mods); but by looking at it now I would say that you can start installing REGS after "Even Better Quest Objectives".

Generally, FNIS output, Bashed Patch and Skyproc's output goes last in your mod list.

Whenever you add/remove/or change the load order of any of your plugins you need to rerun your Skyproc patchers and just to be on the safe side rebuild your BP. FNIS needs to be rerun only when adding or removing mods that have to do with actors animation.

Hope this helps!  ::):

Edited by Astakos