Death Alternative - Your Money or Your Life by BralorMarr

rootsrat

https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/45894/

New upload.

I like to play Skyrim on Master level with additional combat and enemy AI enhancers etc. That means that I die if I get careless, which happens. I like to roleplay my game and death and reload were always breaking immersion for me, but I couldn't find a mod that would offer a agreeable solution. This one does, and I will be probably trying it in my game:

MAIN FEATURES:

1) Bleedout state for the PC makes it impossible to be one-shotted by powerful enemies. The PC has an (invisible) bleedout HP pool equal to his normal HP pool. This bleedout HP pool gets damaged while in bleedout mode and takes a long time to recover naturally. While it recovers, the PC is affected by the Bleeding debuff which slightly reduce normal HP regen.

2) When bleedout HP reaches zero, you are knocked unconscious and gain the Near Death Debuff. This debuff negate HP regen by 100% and reduce the effect of healing spells by 75%. If you are knocked unconscious while under the effect of the Near Death debuff, YOU DIE! Therefore you'd better take some rest after a serious defeat.

3) The mod potentially offers a no reload gameplay for an immersive experience and a continuous narrative of the PC's adventures.

4) Party gameplay - If the PC is knocked to the ground, he/she remains in bleedout (or get up again) as long as the follower is standing, just like follower do while the PC is still standing. Follower can therefore literally save your life now!

5) Generic method for losing and recovering your gear. Bandit are more interested in taking your money than your life. Bandit also have a good eye for valuable and those items are more likely to be stolen. All Item can be recovered one way or another, or you can decide to discard them. The only thing that is lost for good is gold and gold paid to recover items.

6) When defeated, the PC is typically left for dead in the vicinity, or thrown out of the current location.

7) Adventurer will sometimes stumble on the unconscious PC and offer assistance. The downside is: Bandit will sometimes stumble on the unconscious PC as well, and offer to relieve you of your hard earned loot!

8) Player in werewolf or vampire lord form will revert to their human form if their HP reaches zero. This introduces an element of danger in beast form, since your attacker is now a witness to your shapeshifting abilities.

9) Mod comes with a MCM menu with lots of customization for the timers and features.

Some precautions been taken to avoid breaking some quests: 

-Some locations have been blacklisted to prevent the mod's main function from triggering. You'll still enter bleedout but you'll die if defeated in Helgen (for the vanilla intro sequence) and in Skuldfarn (or whatever is the name of the last nordic ruin in the main quest) and Sovrngard. Maybe more depending on reports.

And this bit sounds like FUN:

-If you are defeated by a Draugr in a nordic crypt, the Draugr will dress you in the ceremonial nordic garment and put all your items in a nearby funeral urn. You have to look for it to recover your items.

I briefly tested it last night and wasn't happy. Bear in mind it was a unsafe run, i.e. I loaded up a save with different mod set up - some scripted mods were unistalled etc. I used a lot of console commands in the process, being on TGM (was testing Alduin's Wall quest). I ran across Imperial patrol, so I turned TGM off and attacked them.

When my HP went to 0, my character just froze in place, standing, in the middle of an animation. I couldn't move or anything. The guards kept smashing me and my follower. After some time my char fell on the ground, and the guards kept slicing my poor body. The screen faded to black at some point, then came back and I was still on the ground, with the guards attacking me. At that point I reloaded an earlier save, as I couldn't move and the guards wouldn't go away.

The patrol was from Immersive Patrols mod.

As I've said I used a lot of console commands to get me there, and the save wasn't stable for sure, as there were scripts and mods missing, and few new ones installed - it was only a quick test.

• 6 months later...

Aren't similar options available on Skytweak? Anyway, this sounds pretty damn spot on for my style of play, I'll definitely try this one it out. A bit concerned script overkill might be imminent with recent mods installed like DFB but still, this sounds awesome.

phryxolydian, on 22 May 2014 - 8:44 PM, said:

Aren't similar options available on Skytweak? Anyway, this sounds pretty damn spot on for my style of play, I'll definitely try this one it out. A bit concerned script overkill might be imminent with recent mods installed like DFB but still, this sounds awesome.

From what I'm reading it looks like all the script activity occurs at the time of non-death, a new "quest stage" is initiated and things proceed on from there. I'll be including this in my new game...I'll report back.

MAIN FEATURES (as of v4.0):

[*]Bleedout state for the PC makes it impossible to be one-shotted by powerful enemies. The PC has a bleedout HP pool equal to his normal HP pool. This bleedout HP pool gets damaged while in bleedout mode and takes a long time to recover naturally. While it recovers, the PC is affected by the Bleeding debuff which slightly reduce normal HP regen. A Widget bar displays remaining bleedout HP (just over the normal HP bar). iHUD will hide that bar when out of combat (same restriction as with the frostfall widget.

[*]Party gameplay - If the PC is knocked to the ground, he/she remains in bleedout (or get up again) as long as the follower is standing, just like follower do while the PC is still standing. Follower can therefore literally save your life now! Once in bleedout, followers will remain incapacitated until the end of the fight. Multiple followers are supported.

[*]The mod features a quest registry system where third party modders could register new quests (from separate plugins) associated with certain enemy faction that could then be triggered on defeat. This makes Death Alternative (DA part) into an easily modular-able and expandable framework that provide the core mechanic (bleedout) as well as a few default quests and events (the YMOYL part which can be entirely turned off). One interesting possibility would be to use this system to seamlessly introduce new followers to Skyrim where they would first save you then offer their service, and so much more.

[*]Generic method for losing and recovering your gear. Bandit are more interested in taking your money than your life. Bandit also have a good eye for valuable and those items are more likely to be stolen. All Item can be recovered one way or another, or you can decide to discard them. The only thing that is lost for good is gold and gold paid to recover items. This offers a new, much needed, gold sink in the game.

[*]When defeated, the PC is typically left for dead in the vicinity, or thrown out of the current location. There are also a variety of random "Radiant" events that can occur. Adventurer will sometimes stumble on the unconscious PC and offer assistance. The downside is: Bandit will sometimes stumble on the unconscious PC as well, and offer to relieve you of your hard earned loot! A list of all the encounter is provided under the Readme Tab.

[*]Player in werewolf or vampire lord form will revert to their human form if their HP reaches zero. This introduces an element of danger in beast form, since your attacker is now a witness to your shapeshifting abilities.

[*]A MCM configuration menu full of buttons! Almost all features and quests are customizable or toggle-able.

[*]If you are defeated by a NPC in a crime faction with whom you have a bounty, they will drag you to prison while you are unconscious. You can then serve your sentence and be released later as in vanilla. This solves the problem where, in some situation in Vanilla, guards and citizens wouldn't accept you yield even after minor offense.

[*]Handling of knockback effect and support for "natural" cause of death (i.e. Frostfall exposure, falls and the likes)

[*]Works perfectly well in brawl mode, your opponent will disengage and let you go as soon as you enter bleedout. You will then recover normally after a few seconds. No other special event will be triggered in this case.

[*]No conflict in Dragonborn's Apocrypha. As soon as you enter bleedout the world will fade and you'll be kicked out (vanilla behavior). I expect that any other mod using OnBleedout event should always have precedence since DA always require at least one more hit to trigger its own blackout.

Edited by Kuldebar

How's this mod working for you, Kulde? Sadly, I won't be using it any time soon. I was testing it and I let myself defeat to see the mod in action. The whole black screen and all that recovery stage was taking ages so I  reloaded and the second time when the black screen appeared and I heard bandits relieving me of my gear I got the dreaded message about my game's scripting system being too lame to run Frostfall. Only this time the last update had taken a shocking 143 seconds when the normal is 20. When this message has shown in the past the delay was merely 2-6 seconds above 20 so I've just sucked it up and kept going but 143? ..sigh..

I started my new play-through not long after v4.01 was released, and so far it's been working as advertised.

I'm not using Frostfall, but I am using iNeed, Convenient Horses, Footsteps, Wet & Cold, Enhanced Blood Textures, and AutoPV, among perhaps a few other script-heavier mods I can't recall ATM.

With all that, I'm not seeing the same massive lag as you, phryxolydian. Sure, there's a bit of a delay after the screen goes black, my gear is taken, and then the "recover your gear" quest is started, but nothing that gets me checking my watch. 

Version 4.5 has been put up today, and requires a special "clean save" procedure (explained on the mod's description page) if you want to attempt to continue an in-progress game with the update. According to the comments thread sticky, from a user perspective the update offers only some bug fixes, but this new version's main focus is on paving the way for custom content that can be added with additional plugins.

A recent check with Papyrus logging turned on showed very little "noise" after an initial slew of messages as the savegame got loaded, so I guess I'm going to be a sucker and try this so-called "clean update" method and see what happens. I'm only on Level 16, so at worst, I'll have to retrace a few days worth if it turns out a new game is the best way to go.

A bit off topic, but AutoPV also got a major update today, which requires a "clean save" as well - and the author even suggests using the Save game script cleaner. How times have changed!

• +1 1

How's this mod working for you, Kulde? Sadly, I won't be using it any time soon. I was testing it and I let myself defeat to see the mod in action. The whole black screen and all that recovery stage was taking ages so I  reloaded and the second time when the black screen appeared and I heard bandits relieving me of my gear I got the dreaded message about my game's scripting system being too lame to run Frostfall. Only this time the last update had taken a shocking 143 seconds when the normal is 20. When this message has shown in the past the delay was merely 2-6 seconds above 20 so I've just sucked it up and kept going but 143? ..sigh..

I haven't died yet, so all I can say atm is that I can't tell the mod is installed other than initially setting the MCM control to "normal" from default "easy".

Seems to work as advertised.

Makes being "killed" or defeated much more of a critical event in the game. No longer do you just reload and try again, continuing along with your previous plan. Now your whole plan is out the window as you end up some place unplanned and have to figure out how get your stuff back and what to do in whatever place you ended up.

I also find it much more immersive than the reload procedure. Now you have this disorienting series of events while you are being beaten and have to figure out exactly what happened and where you are.

Great mod.

I have no idea what changing from Normal to Easy in MCM actually does but it seems wrong to leave it on easy.

Edited by statmonster

Seems to work as advertised.Makes being "killed" or defeated much more of a critical event in the game. No longer do you just reload and try again, continuing along with your previous plan. Now your whole plan is out the window as you end up some place unplanned and have to figure out how get your stuff back and what to do in whatever place you ended up.I also find it much more immersive than the reload procedure. Now you have this disorienting series of events while you are being beaten and have to figure out exactly what happened and where you are.Great mod.I have no idea what changing from Normal to Easy in MCM actually does but it seems wrong to leave it on easy.

I think it involves losing more money and the severity of the debuffs you get. Also, if followers are killable...they can die if you succumb.

I'm not using Frostfall, but I am using iNeed, Convenient Horses, Footsteps, Wet & Cold, Enhanced Blood Textures, and AutoPV, among perhaps a few other script-heavier mods I can't recall ATM.

With all that, I'm not seeing the same massive lag as you, phryxolydian. Sure, there's a bit of a delay after the screen goes black, my gear is taken, and then the "recover your gear" quest is started, but nothing that gets me checking my watch. 

Figures, I just have a crap PC.  ::(: Lol. I'm so jelly, I really love the concept and it'd be awesome to play with this mod, fits my style like a glove but, it's just way too much for my PC to handle. Funny how with this low-end PC I can achieve a very stable (very rarely do I crash), sub-par but constant FPS on a heavily modded Skyrim but, when I push it just a bit further, the quality of my rif becomes obvious. Oh well!