Audio Overhaul for Skyrim (by David Jegutidse)

Neovalen

Discussion thread:
Audio Overhaul for Skyrim by David Jegutidse
Wiki Link

AOS is an extensive sound overhaul aiming to make the soundscape more immersive, clear, responsive, impactful and ultimately fun, while always aiming for maximum compatibility, performance and coherency with the main game.

Audio has been tweaked and often redesigned from scratch in thousands of instances of content and implementation, to achieve one coherent vision for the soundscape that does not rely on third party content or code.

The overall style and tone moves away from a "gamey" soundscape and instead uses more real life audio behavior as a guideline.

Another goal was to really make sure that this mod does not give it self away as a mod. Through subtlety and coherence, new and old content should meld together seamlessly, even if that means that the majority of changes will not be consciously noticed.
No content has been stolen from other games. New content is unique to this project and there is nothing that was just copied straight out of a sound library.

------------------------------

This mod is definitely one to watch! I've only played with it a little bit in game but what I have heard is awesome! :)
Accepted for 2.2.8

Looks interesting indeed!

Sounds very interesting.

I am not really a fan of most sound mods, and vanilla sound needs a lot of work ... sound is waaaay overlooked in most games. I guess most people need to be blind to see that ;)

+1

Well executed soundspace (both FX and music) in game can create the atmosphere and mood that isn't achievable in any other way.

Didn't seem that bad tbh, his 1.1 version will be out soon which will not conflict with CoT any more. Most of the other conflicts are very minor and can easily be rectified with TES5Edit.

You mean like SOS is not.... its mainly just one edit. The catch is that its on EVERY cell in the game ;) 

I am sure it would be possible to make a script that could do that since doing it manually takes hours non stop. 

Didn't seem that bad tbh' date=' his 1.1 version will be out soon which will not conflict with CoT any more. Most of the other conflicts are very minor and can easily be rectified with TES5Edit.[/quote']

The problem is not the severity of the conflicts but rather that there are so many. I briefly considered creating AOS compatibility patches for the DLC, unofficial patches, and Climates of Tamriel. With regard to the latter, unfortunately, Bethesda decided to put weather and sound data in Region records, so I'd have to create a Climates of Tamriel patch, a Climates of Tamriel-Dawnguard patch, and so on. I think I'll let the mod author handle this one.

Version 1.1 of AOS now available in Files section.

UPDATE 1.1

-Cleaned obsolete records from esp. using Tes5Edit.

-Slightly reduced reverb send of Dialog for more clarity

-Slightly reduced reverb amplitude in large and medium wooden interior spaces.

-Slightly reduced exterior reverb

-Several small amplitude tweaks for various ambiences, and bow shots.

Compatibility patch for Climates of Tamriel now available in Files section.

Note that this makes AOS work with the weathers and lighting of CoT. It is not a compatibility patch for the Audio add-on of CoT.

The reverb for interiors is way off in the video. Sounds as if they're in an empty metal room when they're actually in a full wooden room. I like the idea of this mod; however, I think it has a bit to go before being really good and not just "good". I do hope the author makes it a modular install using a FOMOD so the good parts can be used and the rest some be skipped (like the reverb for interiors).

This mod will also conflict a several mods in STEP; however, most would be simple overwrites. SOS would be my main concern in compatibility.

Its individual sounds should be addable to the regions.

For acustic spaces it is kinda either or....

Guess you could add both mods if you edited every cell to include them, but I am sure that would just produce a really awkward interior sound wise.

Perhaps there is a smarter way of doing it, but I am not seeing it atm. :s

Regardless of how then it is going to be a rather massive undertaking. And sound mods already conflict with every lighting and weather overhaul... so guess that sort of compatibility is a bit out in the future.