AMD Control Center

Triple buffering is necessary (with v-sync set to "always on") for me, as I get screen flicker without these settings (I use 2xHD-6850 CrossfireX).

Regarding CCC overrides: Are you certain that BOTH AA and AF must be set in SkyrimPrefs.ini in order to get the respective degree of AA/AF, regardless of the CCC settings? Is there a diff with/without CCC?

Based on the above results, it would seem that CCC adds to the VRAM overhead, so depending on the answer to the question abbout the behavior of AA/AF when set or not in SkyrimPrefs.ini, it would seem that it is best to disable AA (and possibly AF) in Skyrim and use SMAA/CCC-AF or SMAA/ENB-AF to gain back VRAM.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, well of the install... not to say that its working... iv tried about three different installers for the latest CCC i could find... and most the links give me a sharepoint error page :(

fyi i have a asus g73jh Radion HD 5870 if that helps any

Yes i am using an Asus g73jh windows 7 64bit with ATI radion hd 5870... i have thus tried a 13.4 13.5 13.6 beta and 13.6 beta 2 Catalyst install..

(just curious... does this like work for anybody?...https://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx .. this is one of the pages giving the sharepoint errors i was talking about.. after going to amd.com it's the "AMD Certified Drivers" in center of the page....)

Okay, so i found out what was wrong.. apparently the 5 installers i was able to find weren't the mobility installer which i manged to find... Blue screened during first install so i uninstalled all drivers and retried and now the 13.6 is installed... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Don't use both. I can't be for certain with AMD; however, with nVidia you use one or the other; not both. If you use AF in CCC, turn it off on the game launcher or in your INI. If you want to use the launcher, then set it to "Use Application Settings" in CCC.

nVidia's AF is a bit better than the games built in AF...this might be true for AMD cards as well.

Don't use both. I can't be for certain with AMD; however, with nVidia you use one or the other; not both. If you use AF in CCC, turn it off on the game launcher or in your INI. If you want to use the launcher, then set it to "Use Application Settings" in CCC.

nVidia's AF is a bit better than the games built in AF...this might be true for AMD cards as well.

It will be obvious if AF is not applied, right? Like all the textures will be extremely blurry? I'll try forcing 16x in CCC and turning it to 0x in the launcher the next time I play Skyrim.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
What you'd probably want is a Radeon Pro guide for AMD users' date=' as that one has way more configuration options.[/quote']

I second Besidilo's point, there are a lot more options and control if you use RadeonPro. 

From what I've seen of this thread, it almost makes me regret buying my AMD HD 7950.  It was a great deal, has 3.1gb ram, is very fast but there is very little solid information on optimizing it with games, while Nvidia guides are seemingly everywhere.  When I bought it, it was the most bang for the buck, ran cool and quiet, but with an AMD card, you seem to be on your own when it comes to optimization with popular games.  Nvidia seems to support the gaming community much better.   Even Radeon Pro is a third party program if I'm not mistaken.  And finding info on optimizing it is not easy either.  Live and learn I guess.  But I'll buy a Nvidia card next time, just for the superior (IMHO) support.