AMD Control Center

You may want to look at the AMD R9 290 family of cards next time though. There is some interesting stuff gong on with that card. Once you get through the heat problems (via a third-party air cooler or a water block) the card seems to work very well and has a huge OC headroom when cooled.

We will have to look at how that card family handles Crossfire because as of now the little connector cable is gone and it all goes through the PCI-e bus.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AMD makes great cards, mine is a Gigabyte with three fans, so it runs cool and has a lot of OC headroom.  But AMD won't spend a dime having any of their people making any guides for optimizing the card with current games while Nvidia does take the time to do so.  AMD gives you a great card out of the box with lots and lots of settings, but you are on your own when it comes to figuring out the best settings for each game.   That's my gripe, I have Nvidia envy when I see the effort Nvidia goes to help people set their cards up for best performance.  Try and find an offical AMD guide for best settings and performance in Skyrim.....if you find one, let me know about it, please.

Jesus dude, calm down. NVidia PAYS to have games optimized for their card, I.e., physx for Metro: Light Light. They just own a bigger share of the GPU PC Gaming market. I'd blame NVidia and the developers for fostering secret deals and paying each other off rather than a lack of effort by AMD. I do agree that AMD drivers aren't as solid as Nvidias but they have been improved lately a lot. I haven't had a driver issue in at least a year.

You may want to look at the AMD R9 290 family of cards next time though. There is some interesting stuff gong on with that card. Once you get through the heat problems (via a third-party air cooler or a water block) the card seems to work very well and has a huge OC headroom when cooled.

We will have to look at how that card family handles Crossfire because as of now the little connector cable is gone and it all goes through the PCI-e bus.

Just in case you're interested: Some 290 cards can be bios flashed into 290x cards. Only try this with a card featuring dual bios though as this surely terminates your warranty.

I'd wait for a directcu II though as those are the coolers with the best cooling/noise ratio atm.

lol ya are crazy... you buy a super powerful card (That can most likely run anything current without sweating)' date=' yet OC it for minimal returns and risk frying it! But only talk about voiding the warranty afterwards! Good stuff! :)[/quote']

No no no no no. Slow down there buddy...

The R9 290 runs at 94 C whether it's overclocked or not. The card is designed to run that hot.

https://www.legitreviews.com/amd-radeon-r9-290-4gb-video-card-review_127216/11

The overclock doesn't chnage the thermals. Sorry man, can't get me this time :-P.

• 5 months later...

So... I know this guide hasn't been updated in quite some time but I just updated my AMD drivers which came with AMD Gaming Evolved app; the Catalyst Control Center that I have used previous, and the one this guide mentioned, is gone. I'm not sure how to make the changes in this guide with that app. Nothing looks like it did previously so I'm in need of a little help.

Using 14.4 now... came with Gaming Evolved App. I think the one I used previous was in the 13's. I got the driver from the AMD driver website as the update.

Edit: It's the AMD Mobility Radeonâ„¢ Driver set... if that helps.

Edited by phosphor

Regardless of new visual layouts.. then the technical terms are most likely still the same. So as long as you find the corresponding values then you should be good to change them. 

I am sure someone who actually has an AMD card will chip in with the details soon! 

• 8 months later...

I stumbled over my CCC again and have some questions regarding the AA settings.

What does the "Filter" option actually do? Afaik an edge detection shader is only needed if you want to do post processing AA, that would be Morphological Filtering. Does the filter do anything if I want supersampling or adaptive multisampling (which seems to super sample only transparency textures, sounds like a good deal!)?

Do you know if EQ anti aliasing (taking additional color samples, very cheap for mostly moderate AA gain) works with supersampling?

Thanks in advance!

Spock

Edited by Spock

• 9 months later...

Looks like AMD is ditching the AMD Catalyst Control Center in favour of its new app: Radeon Settings

I'll look at how the settings differ compared to the two, but I'd say it's no more than a long overdue UI revamp.

EDIT: Yep, just a radical UI update, no changes to settings as far as I can see.