AMD Control Center

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Besidilo pointed out that the preset information on the ATI guide page, particularly the recommendations for Ultra, has many errors. While I have seen performance tests on AMD/ATI cards at several sites I haven't seen very much on configuring these cards. AMD has a 3D game profile for Skyrim, for only for dual cards. Are there any good descriptions of the configuration choices in 3D application settings in the Catalyst Control Center and how they interact (e.g., effect on VRAM and GPU use) with the settings used in Skyrim (or similar game) setup? The ATI guide mentioned here is the only one I'm aware of.

Besidilo pointed out that the preset information on the ATI guide page' date=' particularly the recommendations for Ultra, has many errors. While I have seen performance tests on AMD/ATI cards at several sites I haven't seen very much on configuring these cards. AMD has a 3D game profile for Skyrim, for only for dual cards. Are there any good descriptions of the configuration choices in 3D application settings in the Catalyst Control Center and how they interact (e.g., effect on VRAM and GPU use) with the settings used in Skyrim (or similar game) setup? The ATI guide mentioned here is the only one I'm aware of.[/quote']

Unfortunately, I don't have much experience outside of what works well for me on my CrossfireX setup (upon which the OP's guide is based).

Can you specify exactly what errors are on the ATI Guide page and what page that is (PDF or wiki?).

Thanks

The Wiki page on AMD settings is fine.

The only thing you could add is some tweaks to improve the IQ, that carry a significant performance hit.

Like switching MSAA to SSAA, enabling AF from the drivers (and disabling the in game settings) or using a different AA filter.

I also don't recommend using Vsync without D3DOverrider, but that's just a personal preference.

Here's a nice general ATI guide by the makers of RCRN.

I've already seen this before. In order to use super-sampling, you must drop the AA to 4x. I have no idea what you need for 8x Super sampling but with crossfire 6950 2gb, it is still not enough for 8x. Crossfire 7970s could do it probably.
Yes, the super-sampling is apparently bugged at 8x. I think it's the case with Nvidia cards as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Besidilo' date=' how did you configure the Skyrim and Catalyst Control Center configuration files so you could use D3DOverrider? I get a CTD during loading when I try to use it with my AMD 7850.[/quote']

I haven't used a dedicated AMD card in a good few months now.

It's possible that the game crashes because of the incompatibility with ENB?

WHen D3DOverrider is enabled the game crashes partway into the loading cycle. I tried several combinations of .ini preferences and AMD Application Profile settings but I didn't find a combination that worked.

I've got a secondary AMD rig at hand here so will try it out on a clean install of Skyrim with D3DOverrider.

• 5 months later...