torches ignite oil, benchmark test, and overwrite

Hello, again. More noobish questions that I hope don't bother anyone.

torches ignite oil - mo2 says it contains no game data. following the guide I disabled the esp. is this suppose to have no game data?

when I ran the benchmarking test, I noticed how shadow filled and detailed the inside of breezehome was, and outside didnt seem to have any shadows at all, there is fog almost everywhere..is outside suppose to be so pale and not vivid compared to indoors?

my overwrite keeps getting ini's put into it for fuz ro d'oh and po3's tweaks. I made an empty mod for each and put the ini's in there but the next benchmark test just spit more of these ini's into overwrite. is there some parameter in those mods that stops them from being put there? how problematic is it to have those ini's in overwrite?

any and all guidance is much appreciated.

2 hours ago, Hyperiel said:

Hello, again. More noobish questions that I hope don't bother anyone.

torches ignite oil - mo2 says it contains no game data. following the guide I disabled the esp. is this suppose to have no game data?

when I ran the benchmarking test, I noticed how shadow filled and detailed the inside of breezehome was, and outside didnt seem to have any shadows at all, there is fog almost everywhere..is outside suppose to be so pale and not vivid compared to indoors?

my overwrite keeps getting ini's put into it for fuz ro d'oh and po3's tweaks. I made an empty mod for each and put the ini's in there but the next benchmark test just spit more of these ini's into overwrite. is there some parameter in those mods that stops them from being put there? how problematic is it to have those ini's in overwrite?

any and all guidance is much appreciated.

Torches Ignite Oil instructions are basically incorrect, since only the ESP is provided by the mod. Just ignore this one, as it doesn't cause any issues in the current state. It will be corrected in the next guide update.

Outdoors depends upon the weather, so you just have foggy weather. Foggy weather can reduce or even eliminate shadows, even in RL. You can wait until the weather changes or force a weather via the console to see the impact.

As far as the overwrite issue, I have always advocated forcing SKSE runtime outputs into the SKSE64 mod (as I do), because it just makes sense, IMO. I will defer to @DoubleYou, @Greg, and @TechAngel85 on that one. I believe they advocate letting it all go into Overwrite just to keep a record of sorts relating to what's happening during any given game launch. You can simply drag or the Overwrite output into the respective mods or use the right-click context menu on Overwrite to do the same.

5 hours ago, Hyperiel said:

I made an empty mod for each and put the ini's in there but the next benchmark test just spit more of these ini's into overwrite. is there some parameter in those mods that stops them from being put there?

They are re-created each time you run the game because they don't exist, from the game's vantage point.

Enable the 'empty' mod(s) (now no longer empty) in which you put the INI files you took from Overwrite. You enable them by ticking their checkbox on the left-hand side of MO2. This will stop the INI files being re-created in Overwrite. After enabling the mod(s) containing them, the game will then "see" that they already exist, and use them.

The left-hand side of MO2 works like a virtual Data folder for the game. What is enabled is visible to the game, whereas what is disabled doesn't exist from the game point of view - when the game is run from the mod manager.

Overwrite is implicitly always enabled, but it's not recommended to leave stuff hanging in it. It's better to move its contents to one or several specific mod folders just like you did - as many or as few as you wish. Or you can simply redirect the SKSE Launcher output into a mod folder, as Z suggested above, which will store any game-created file into that folder instead of Overwrite.

4 hours ago, Mousetick said:

They are re-created each time you run the game because they don't exist, from the game's vantage point.

Enable the 'empty' mod(s) (now no longer empty) in which you put the INI files you took from Overwrite. You enable them by ticking their checkbox on the left-hand side of MO2. This will stop the INI files being re-created in Overwrite. After enabling the mod(s) containing them, the game will then "see" that they already exist, and use them.

The left-hand side of MO2 works like a virtual Data folder for the game. What is enabled is visible to the game, whereas what is disabled doesn't exist from the game point of view - when the game is run from the mod manager.

Overwrite is implicitly always enabled, but it's not recommended to leave stuff hanging in it. It's better to move its contents to one or several specific mod folders just like you did - as many or as few as you wish. Or you can simply redirect the SKSE Launcher output into a mod folder, as Z suggested above, which will store any game-created file into that folder instead of Overwrite.

They were enabled before I relaunched, which is what confused me. I was under the assumption after doing that, it would no longer be put into overwrite, but that is not what happened.

thanks for the guidance. it was a grey day in game when I was comparing inside and outside, and I re enabled the esp for torches ignite oil.

other than some minor oddities that I'm asking about, I managed to make it to post-processing and succuessfully launched game. 

I had to disable Scaleform Translation, and the plugin for immortal remnant that claims it's master is both enabled and missing.

11 hours ago, Hyperiel said:

They were enabled before I relaunched, which is what confused me. I was under the assumption after doing that, it would no longer be put into overwrite, but that is not what happened.

I set up my SKSE mod as follows, so I don't have this problem:

image.png

... but what Mouse is saying is also true. If those file paths exist in an enabled mod, then they will continue to be updated there instead of Overwrite. I suggest you move the respective outputs into the originating mods or as I do above rather than create new mods to hold them, but it should work the same either way as long as those mods are enabled and have the expected file paths:

image.png

1 hour ago, z929669 said:

I set up my SKSE mod as follows, so I don't have this problem:

image.png

... but what Mouse is saying is also true. If those file paths exist in an enabled mod, then they will continue to be updated there instead of Overwrite. I suggest you move the respective outputs into the originating mods or as I do above rather than create new mods to hold them, but it should work the same either way as long as those mods are enabled and have the expected file paths:

image.png

ah. thank you. I did not create the filepath which is why it went right back into overflow.

13 hours ago, Hyperiel said:

ah. thank you. I did not create the filepath which is why it went right back into overflow.

As long as the ModSettings.ini path is under \SKSE\Plugins\ inside any enabled mod, it will be overwritten in that location rather than overwrite. This is true whether or not you set the SKSE launcher executable to "Create file in mod instead of Overwrite".

On 1/25/2024 at 8:40 PM, z929669 said:

As far as the overwrite issue, I have always advocated forcing SKSE runtime outputs into the SKSE64 mod (as I do), because it just makes sense, IMO. I will defer to @DoubleYou, @Greg, and @TechAngel85 on that one. I believe they advocate letting it all go into Overwrite just to keep a record of sorts relating to what's happening during any given game launch. You can simply drag or the Overwrite output into the respective mods or use the right-click context menu on Overwrite to do the same.

Those files from specific SKSE mods should be stored in their respective mod folders. So Fuz INI file would be placed within the Fuz mod, etc. There used to be instructions somewhere on the Guide or within the mod pages for users to do this. Then when updating those mods, users simply need to select "merge" so the INIs aren't overwritten during updates.

I haven't been involved with the SE Guide in a good while so whether the instructions are still there or not, I can not say.

On 1/26/2024 at 5:47 AM, Hyperiel said:

I had to disable Scaleform Translation, and the plugin for immortal remnant that claims it's master is both enabled and missing.

For what it's worth, a user posted a version of Scaleform in the comments for the mod on Nexus that's compatible with 1.6.1130/1170.
That was making me scratch my head why I followed the Step guides and just went into a crash.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/77359?tab=posts