Some ini changes do not show up in game?

So I have a couple of questions about and with ini files and what settings can be set in ini files and what can't.

I have two examples I'm working with right now:

1. I can set the following in my `SkyrimCustom.ini` file 
    [Camera] fVanityModeMinDist=50

But, when I go into the game and type in the console

getini "fVanityModeMinDist:Camera"

The result it returns is `185.000`. I have verified that my the ini files I am using are being picked up my MO2. I modified a setting that is already existing in the file and when use `getini` on it in game, the correct modified ini result displays.

The `fVanityModeMinDist` value is not represented in any ini files by default. It will only show up in `SkyrimCustom.ini` after I edit it using the custom tab in BethINI.
    Does this mean, that any values that are not in the vanilla ini files can not be set there? Why would BethINI allow me to do so if this is the case?

2. I am trying to solve some z-fighting issues and am attempting to use the following console command in game:

setini "fNearDistance:Display" 13

This results in an error message in the console. I forget what the exact error is, but it's the same one given whenever the parameters are not correct for a command.
    `fNearDistance:Display` does exist in an ini file, but am I unable to change it through the console in real time? 
    Of course, I am sure that some ini settings must be loaded from the file as the engine initializes, and in that case would not be modifiable dynamically through the console.

For the above two issues, is there any way to know which settings are or are not able to be manipulated either from an ini file or the console, or do I just have to pound away to figure it out? Also, in the case of the `fVanityModeMinDist` setting, is there any other way to set it?

Thank you.

1. There are a number of ways this can happen.

• You have a plugin INI that contains the setting set to a different value. Plugin INI files overwrite SkyrimCustom.ini
  • You are editing the wrong INI file
  • You have the syntax wrong
  • Some users have reported that the changes made by the PrivateProfileRedirector SE mod can sometimes cause INI settings to not work correctly
  • Something else

I just tested it, and it worked fine for me.

2. I just tested it and it worked fine for me, so I don't know what is the issue on your end. Probably spelled something wrong.

Yeah, ok, I keep forgetting the scope of the environment I'm working in. With a few hundred 3rd party mods installed, it's amazing how easy it is for me to not take that into account every time I have a new problem pop up.

Anyhow, you were right, I forgot that I had 'Customizable Camera' installed, which ironically I just discovered is able to take care of half of what I was trying to do just with ini settings.

Not sure why I can't set fNearDistance... I'll go with user error, there's something I'm likely overlooking.

Thanks again!

If you are using Mod Organizer, verify you are editing the INI files in the correct folder. These are normally stored in Users\[UserName]\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition. If you have Mod Organizer configured to use profile specific INI files, the INI files are stored in your profile folder.

Greg,

Yeah, I had the targeting all set up correctly, that's why I was confused. It turns out one of the mods I had installed was overriding a particular ini setting I set in BethINI. It just didn't occur to me that a mod was doing it. Mod and learn!

Thanks,

You can mark this resolved if you like.

Edited by Hypobolic