Framerate Limit Capped at 60 FPS

Spigotron

8 hours ago, Mousetick said:

Moreover, ENB may also have its own display mode settings which may or may not override SSEDisplayTweaks.ini and/or SkyrimPrefs.ini, leading to even more confusion. I don't use ENB so I don't know whether it's relevant or not.

ENB does have a limiter. As I mentioned in my initial response to the post, I believe there are at least 4x places to limit frames if ENB is used. For vsync, there appear to be no less than 3x with the borderless/DVM tech. This does not include any other potential 3rd party software for either of these features.

Running a 60 FPS monitor appears to be a more obvious gotcha for unlimiting FPS it would seem.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Mousetick said:

In order to compare experiences/results/configurations, I'd suggest you include your SkyrimPrefs.ini, SSEDisplayTweaks.ini and SSEDisplayTweaks.log to provide objective unambiguous information.

Moreover, SSEDisplayTweaks.ini has configuration settings in the [Render] section which can override SkyrimPrefs.ini if they are un-commented, which can lead to confusion about which display mode is actually being applied. Hence the need to look at the log.

Moreover, ENB may also have its own display mode settings which may or may not override SSEDisplayTweaks.ini and/or SkyrimPrefs.ini, leading to even more confusion. I don't use ENB so I don't know whether it's relevant or not.

Here's my requested files. However, I don't see how it is relevant for this, as I am running in fullscreen now to fix this issue.

SSEDisplayTweaks.log SSEDisplayTweaks.ini SkyrimPrefs.ini

1 hour ago, TechAngel85 said:

Idk how to get a screen capture of it, but I'm in the 100s on a 60Hz monitor. :whistling:

@Mousetick Was asking for your INIs as DY posted as a means to test/verify what he is saying about DWM. You are implying that his suppositions don't apply to your situation specifically, so that would clear it up.

1 hour ago, DoubleYou said:

Here's my requested files. However, I don't see how it is relevant for this, as I am running in fullscreen now to fix this issue.

SSEDisplayTweaks.log 3.18 kB · 0 downloads SSEDisplayTweaks.ini 22.85 kB · 0 downloads SkyrimPrefs.ini 3.82 kB · 0 downloads

Me either considering they should all match per the Step Guide.

I actually didn't do my test on a Step profile. I did it on vanilla + root mods.

I'll redo on Step profile, but I'll have to toggle the ENB off to manage anything higher.

On 3/18/2022 at 12:50 AM, Mousetick said:

This is expected, no surprise here. This applies to any game on Windows 10 and later, it's not specific to Skyrim or SSE Display Tweaks.

No matter what the in-game or driver settings for V-Sync are set to, Windows DWM enforces V-Sync, so V-Sync is always enabled in Borderless Fullscreen Window mode. In STEP SSE's case, this includes the Skyrim INI setting and SSE Display Tweaks configuration.

Actually, the profile shouldn't matter so what INI's do you want?

12 minutes ago, TechAngel85 said:

Actually, the profile shouldn't matter so what INI's do you want?

Really, SSEDisplayTweaks.log from Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\SKSE is really all we should need. My guess is your setup has hardware composition support.

12 minutes ago, DoubleYou said:

Really, SSEDisplayTweaks.log from Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\SKSE is really all we should need. My guess is your setup has hardware composition support.

That or it's SSE Display Tweaks causing it because I did a more or less vanilla profile without that mod, so I don't have that log. I'll install it to the profile and test again.

My info:
Screenshot 2022-03-19 144535.png

enblocal.ini SSEDisplayTweaks.iniSkyrimPrefs.ini SSEDisplayTweaks.logFPSMonitor-benchmark.csv

It's nothing in Step. Regardless of profile I go over my refresh rate. (ENB toggled off)

EDIT:
I used this when setting up my system (thought not all of it), but I don't think there's anything in there that would affect this:
https://www.edy.es/dev/docs/windows-10-setup-for-power-users/

My video card supports windowed hardware composition, but I haven't tried to disable vsync to see if goes above 60 in borderless window mode.

[Render] [D3D] Requesting mode: 1920x1200@0 | VSync: 1 | Windowed: 1
[Render] [D3D] SwapEffect: flip_discard | SwapBufferCount: 3 | Tearing: 0 | Flags: 0x00000002
[Render] [D3D] Windowed hardware composition support: yes

TechAngel85's apparently does not support windowed hardware composition:

[Render] [D3D] Requesting mode: 1920x1080@0 | VSync: 0 | Windowed: 1
[Render] [D3D] SwapEffect: flip_discard | SwapBufferCount: 3 | Tearing: 0 | Flags: 0x00000002
[Render] [D3D] Windowed hardware composition support: no

1 hour ago, Greg said:

My video card supports windowed hardware composition, but I haven't tried to disable vsync to see if goes above 60 in borderless window mode.

[Render] [D3D] Requesting mode: 1920x1200@0 | VSync: 1 | Windowed: 1
[Render] [D3D] Windowed hardware composition support: yes

TechAngel85's apparently does not support windowed hardware composition:

[Render] [D3D] Requesting mode: 1920x1080@0 | VSync: 0 | Windowed: 1
[Render] [D3D] Windowed hardware composition support: no

... and there ya have it.

So we should probably direct users to use fullscreen mode in initial BethINI setup to avoid the issue in the majority of systems and mention setting to borderless after performance tuning and the benefits and consequences to FPS limiting.

We can probably also update the Display Settings guide with the new info as well.

14 minutes ago, z929669 said:

... and there ya have it.

So we should probably direct users to use fullscreen mode in initial BethINI setup to avoid the issue in the majority of systems and mention setting to borderless after performance tuning and the benefits and consequences to FPS limiting.

We can probably also update the Display Settings guide with the new info as well.

But @TechAngel85 has unlocked framerate on without windowed hardware composition support. This is NOT resolved.

11 minutes ago, DoubleYou said:

But @TechAngel85 has unlocked framerate on without windowed hardware composition support. This is NOT resolved.

Doh! Yeah, so my bad.... I was just happy to understand why he wasn't limited by hardware composition

I don't see any issues with SSE Display Tweaks INI or game INI. I forget if frame limiter is set the skyrimprefs or skyrim.ini. If those are OK, then I suspect its GFX display settings somewhere. I don't know NVIDIA so well, so you guys will know more about that.